Playlists not updated with ID3V2 tags written by 3rd party programs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

misterioso

Playlists not updated with ID3V2 tags written by 3rd party programs

Post by misterioso »

Today I was using the BPM (Beats Per Minutes) Analyzer plug-in in Foobar2000 to evaluate and write BPM values to one of my Media Monkey playlists containing nearly 100 FLAC songs. To my surprise, when I viewed the properties of the songs in my playlists in MM, the BPM values were blank. However, when I viewed those same songs in their library file locations on my hard drive, the new values written to the ID3V2 BPM field by Foobar2K were visible.

From what I'm seeing, I've concluded the following.

1. In Media Monkey, any ID3V2 tag changes made to a song in it's library folder will be reflected when viewing that same song in a playlist.
2. Vice-versa, in Media Monkey, any ID3V2 tag changes made to a song in a playlist will be reflected in viewing that same song in it's library folder location.
3. However, any ID3V2 tag changes made to a song using a 3rd party app (such as MP3Tag, Foobar2K, etc.) WILL NOT BE visible when the song is viewed, but it WILL BE visible when the song is viewed in it's original library folder location.

Therefore, once you drag a song onto a playlist, the ID3V2 tag information remains static if changed by a 3rd party application. Apparently, Media Monkey keeps 2 sets of ID3V2 metadata - one for a song's original library folder and another for the song's playlist location.

Is this an accurate statement?

Is there a way to get my refresh my playlists to gain visibility of any ID3V2 tag changes made by 3rd party applications? Short of deleting songs out of my playlists and re-adding them in order to force a refresh, I don't know of any other way.

Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by misterioso on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Playlists not updated with ID3V2 tags written by 3rd party programs

Post by Lowlander »

You need to rescan (File > Add/Rescan Files) that have had their tags changed outside of MediaMonkey to update the database values.
misterioso

Post by misterioso »

Thanks for your help, Lowlander.

Maybe part of the problem was that the menu had disappeared and I never bothered to research how to restore it. I forgot I had a menu... Anyways, I changed my registry settings to restore my menu and I'm re-scanning my files now. It's going to take a while, my library is rather large. If I continue to have issues, I'll report back.
misterioso

Post by misterioso »

Okay, my altered tag values are now showing as updated in playlists Thanks very much for your help, Lowlander.

Is there a way to narrow the scope of re-scanning to just my playlists? My library size is rather large (upwards of 40K files). The rescan takes somewhere around 10=15 min. Meanwhile I'm only updating the tags on less than 100 songs contained on one playlist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you can limit to folders, but not Playlists.

You can use Folder Monitoring with while editing files to have the changes picked up automatically (if MediaMonkey is running): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... he_Library