Problem installing / runnong old version of MediaMonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pokeefe0001

Problem installing / runnong old version of MediaMonkey

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I have a copy of MMW2 database that I am trying to upgrade to use on MMV4. My plan was to
  1. Install MMW2 and make sure my copy of the old database is good.
  2. Install MMW3 and perform a database conversion.
  3. Copy the upgraded database to a computer running MMW4
I failed the first step. During the installation I got a message saying msscript.ocx could not be registered. I could not see a work-around so I just let the installation complete.

MMW2 seemed to work, but there was a problem processing the old database - all the data seems to be in place except for the paths to the MP3 files. The old (Win7) computer running MMW2 has its music library in "E:\FDMusic\". On my computer where I'm trying to do the conversion I have a copy of that library also on my E: drive. MediaMonkey is showing the paths to the files as "[Data]\FDMusic\...".

Obviously the "[Data]" should be the drive letter E: (although I guess a URL would also be syntactically correct). I compared my new .ini file with the one on the old computer to see if there was a a specification for that but could not find any.

I found a MM add-on "Update Location of Files in Database" that sounded promising, but its .mmip extension is unknown on my computer. I don't know if that is related to the msscript.ocx or just a coincidence, but running the add-on doesn't seem to be an option.

Have I missed something obvious or am I at a dead end?
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Peke

Re: Problem installing / runnong old version of MediaMonkey

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What windows version you use?
It sounds like you installed MM3 Over MM2 installation?

Can you please open support ticket from Menu Above and so that I try to help you in more details.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Sorry for the late response. I missed the notification of a reply. A lot has changed since I posted.

I use MMW4 but I need to transfer an old MMV2 database (or the data from that database) to my MMW4 installation so I'm messing around on a "test" PC. At the time I posted my question I had MMW2 installed and was trying to access the MMV2 database before trying an upgrade. All the data in the database seemed ok except for paths to the MP3 files. Those paths had "[DATA]" instead of a drive letter.

I hoped that the UpdateLocationOfFiles script might set the appropriate path but I could not run the script. I got around the problem of msscript.ocx not being registered by manually registering it. And I found the technique of installing scripts in MMW2 by renaming .mmip to .zip, and extracting the .vbs file to the MMW2 scripts folder. But I obviously did something wrong because MMW2 did not show the script.
So I gave up attempt.

Next, I installed MMW3 and manually ran the MMW2-to-MMW3 conversion. When I started MediaMonkey it hung on the splash screen. Hovering over the MM icon in the task bar I can see that the splash screen is covering up a Yes/No pop-up but I cannot access the pop-up. I can't read the tiny image of the pop-up in the task bar so I have no idea what I'm hung on.

At this point I will probably start over, delete MMW3, delete the converted database, restore the old MMv2 .mdb and .ini files and start this whole effort over again.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You will want to maintain (From File Menu) the Library before each upgrade. Sometimes Alt+Tab to a program will show the hidden dialog.
pokeefe0001

Re: Problem installing / running old version of MediaMonkey

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I tried Alt+Tab. As long as I pressed Alt+Tab the pop-up was displayed. It was asking if I wanted to convert the database. I selected "Yes" but the pop-up was immediately re-displayed. I don't know if it couldn't process my input or if it had reason for asking multiple times, but I gave up and cancelled MM through Task Manager.

I've started over with a new installation of MMW2 and a refreshed copy of the old database. Before I progress with the upgrade I would like to get the MMW2 working correctly. Any idea why the drive letter is being displayed as [Data]?

Update: I have a clue. I got an error when trying to expand the tree in the left hand MM panel (Sorry. I don't know what it is called.)
I was trying to look at
Library>Location>HD:Data.>FDMusic
where "FDMusic" is the library name. I can continue to expand nodes, but when I click on a leaf (i.e., an element supposedly representing an MP3 file with MP3 metadata) I get the error message
There was a problem querying the database:
22018:[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

I suspect this is not going to get any better in later versions of MM.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The driveID has likely changed and thus the drive can't be found is the likely reason. It probably won't get in the way of upgrading and you can use the Addon to fix this in MM4.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm The driveID has likely changed and thus the drive can't be found is the likely reason. ...
But the library (on both the original old PC and my test PC) is on drive E. If "driveID" implies more than just drive letter, then yes, it has certainly changed. I haven't tried scanning the library this time around, but I did in an earlier test and ended up with two entries for each track: one with drive E: (but missing the old customized information) and one for [Data] (but including the customized information).

If I install MMW3 and convert the database using the MMW3 DBUpgrade.exe before starting MediaMonkey I should avoid the pop-up asking if I want to convert, won't I? I want to avoid that pop-up this time. (Actually, I guess I could skip MMW3 altogether that way.)
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, changing drives results in a different driveID even if the drive letter is the same.

Use the update method should result in MMW itself not requesting to do so,