Switching database/configuration (profiles).

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

johnnybyron

Switching database/configuration (profiles).

Post by johnnybyron » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:15 pm

FNG here. I've tried to search and read up, but I'm not seeing a topic just for this. Apologies if this is old news.

've got 2 completely different sets of music that I want MM4 to manage, but I want MM4 to keep everything about the program settings and databases to be separate (Chinese Wall concept). Example, in on environment (my "Dev") I'm cleaning up an old iTunes structure. Once I've got an artist cleaned up, I want to move it to my main / production environment.

I've seen a db switching utility, but it seems MM4 ditches the .ini files for the Registry. So.... has this been covered so I can go read up, is it a planned feature, or am I SOL?

Teknojnky

Re: Switching database/configuration (profiles).

Post by Teknojnky » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:41 pm

by default MM keeps data in the user profile, so if you have separate windows logins, then your mm data should also be separate.

or you can install and run MM in portable mode, which will store the settings/registry/db in the mm\portable folder.

if you want completely separate databases/settings/profiles, it would be best to simply have 2 separate portable MM install folders.

otherwise, you can separate music by utilizing collections (like classical, audiobooks, etc). You can create collections based on path too, so if you have a separate drive or path for your 'dev' music, you can specify that (or exclude that).

in MM4, the collections are under settings > library > media tree. at the bottom you can create a new collection or edit/delete existing ones.