MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end, but only MP3s [#15913]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Aelius28

MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end, but only MP3s [#15913]

Post by Aelius28 »

If a song is within a few seconds of ending and I decide to click on the seek bar to start playing at an earlier portion of the song or I scroll the mousewheel on the seek bar, it starts playing the next song instead of seeking like I told it to. This only happens if the song is near the end. Below is a gif of the phenomenon. I put the song "Surrender" near the end, then I click the middle of the seek bar. It instantly starts playing the next song instead of doing what I told it to do.

This has long annoyed me and I'm wondering if it's somehow a quirk of my particular installation or if it's something everyone else deals with too.

EDIT: As I discovered later, this problem only exists for mp3 files (and every mp3 file has this problem). FLAC files never have this problem. Still, when I do the same test on the same same files in foobar2000 it does not have this problem. Why does only MM have this problem?
Last edited by Aelius28 on Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Peke

Re: MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is very possible that problem is in Skin design, where SeekBar End Element is too large and MMW detect click in that area as Song end. Have you tried other skins?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Aelius28

Post by Aelius28 »

Peke wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:18 pm Hi,
It is very possible that problem is in Skin design, where SeekBar End Element is too large and MMW detect click in that area as Song end. Have you tried other skins?
What's the default skin? I'll try it that way.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Metro M is default But I use Vitreous as I like light skins.
Best regards,
Peke
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I use Vitreous also and you have to click pretty close to the end to get it to go to next
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Aelius28

Post by Aelius28 »

Peke wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:18 pm Hi,
I just tested it, and the same thing happens with Metro M and Vitreous. It also doesn't help to enable crossfade and set it to 0.5 seconds. I also have made sure that "remove silence at the end of track" is disabled. None of it helps.

I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in the output plug-ins section and it froze my system. I had to do a force reboot, which caused MediaMonkey to reset my mediamonkey.ini file.

I've been a loyal MM user for ten years now, but I'm starting to get pissed off.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
like dtsig https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 70#p454670 I can replicate when click very very close to end eg 1-2 seconds before track ends. My Logs even show that track run out -> Play next is executed.
Best regards,
Peke
Aelius28

Post by Aelius28 »

Peke wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 pm Hi,
like dtsig https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 70#p454670 I can replicate when click very very close to end eg 1-2 seconds before track ends. My Logs even show that track run out -> Play next is executed.
But as you can see on the gif in my first post, this happens even as far as 5 seconds before the end of the track. And like I said in my last post, this doesn't change when I use the Metro M or Vitreous.
Aelius28

Post by Aelius28 »

After further testing, I discovered that it only happens with mp3 files - every mp3 file. FLAC files do not have this problem.

Still, this problem doesn't happen when I test the same mp3 files on foobar2000.

Why is this happening in MM?
Peke

Re: (Edit: New information!) MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Are you using MMW native skin or third party skin?
Best regards,
Peke
Aelius28

Re: (Edit: New information!) MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end

Post by Aelius28 »

Peke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 am Hi,
Are you using MMW native skin or third party skin?
I tested it with the default skin (Metro M) and the same thing happens.
Aelius28

Re: (Still unsolved) MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end, but only MP3s

Post by Aelius28 »

I just upgraded to a fresh Windows 10 install, and I used the opportunity to test if this problem was a result of my previous configuration.

I installed MediaMonkey and transferred my database, but did not change any settings, did not install any skins, or anything whatsoever outside of a naked vanilla install. Again, this was a brand new Windows 10 installation. I did not upgrade my current operating system, so absolutely nothing was transferred to this new computer.

Sure enough, this problem still persists. Every mp3 file has this problem.

Any ideas?
robojock

Re: (Still unsolved) MM moves on to next song if I seek close to the end, but only MP3s

Post by robojock »

I can confirm, this is a bug. I am using 4.1.25.1885 and can reproduce using the following steps.

1. Double click on any song (.mp3) in now playing to start playing it let it play a few (2-5) seconds
2. Pause it
3. Click with mouse towards the end of the progress bar and then back in the middle, you will see it skip to the next song while it is still paused.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried sending a debug log to support: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
Aelius28

Post by Aelius28 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm Have you tried sending a debug log to support: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
I'll do that, and I'll also show the logs here. These logs were all generated using a fresh debug version of MM.

Here's the debug log when doing the behavior I showed in the gif in my first post: playing an mp3 file, clicking near the end of the seek bar, then clicking elsewhere on the seek bar.

Here's the debug log when doing the same behavior with a flac file, which does not cause any problems. This log is hopefully useful as a control.

One obvious difference to me is the use of in_mfaudio.dll for the mp3 file, but not for the flac.