How to rescan without losing playlists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gimmeagig

How to rescan without losing playlists

Post by gimmeagig »

Hi,
I have an external backup drive for my music files. So for some reason, when I do a search every tune I'm looking for shows up twice. once on my C drive and also on my E drive.
Yes I could clear my database and rescan, but I have a lot of extensive playlists and apparently i would erase those in the process.
Is there a way to exclude the external drive from searches? So that MM only searches the C drive
Peke

Re: How to rescan without losing playlists

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As replied in ticket, you can edit collection Music to exclude all files containing path e:\ Or simply Under location tell MMW to Remove E: From Library Note that in all playlists created with files from E: those files will be removed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

Hi Pavie,
I just don't understand what you mean.
How exactly do I edit "collection Music"? Where is that done?
I was looking under "options/library" I can't find what you are saying I should do.
Also
Under location tell MMW to Remove E: From Library Note
I just don't know what to do with this information.
Can you explain ( in simple understandable terms) where I need to go and what I need to click on? I can't find any menu item to click on that matches what you are telling me.
I went to "File/add/rescan files to the library, selected only the My Music folder on my C drive, also checked "hide unselected items"
But whatever is on my E drive still shows when I do a search.
Thank you
Roxy
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

File > Manage Collections. You can Edit Collections (Gold feature) and you can then set what Criteria are used for the Collection. Path/Filename is an available Criteria and useful to filter based on where files are located.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

Thank you Lowlander. that was definitely much more helpful that the confusing stuff I got from Tech support.I asked Pavie for some clarifiction...nothing.
I actually figured out another way to clean my library from unwanted duplicates on my own this morning.
I only use MM for MP3s.
So I did a search for the term" MP3 " and chose "Entire Library". Then in the results I added "Path" to my visible coloumns. There I could scroll down clearly see what I didn't want to have in the library, like all the duplicate files on my E:\ drive. I selected them and right clicked, I chose remove. There I had two options .Remove from Computer or Remove from playlist only. So simple. 43 people looked at this Just your answer and the response from tech support, that's it. What's up with that?
I knew there had to be a way. I do love the software. I'm a music hoarder and I couldn't deal with what I have without Media Monkey.
So for whatever its worth I'm posting how I solved it here in the Forum, just in case someone else runs into the same issue.
A nice feature to add would be a speed control / pitch control with user assignable hot keys. And also a hot key for a 10 second rewind/play. I play bass and when I want to figure out something tricky I use a program called "Amazing Slow-downer".
It would be nice if I could do some of that from within Media Monkey.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are still interested please reply to ticket. I can try to teach you few tricks here and there in MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts