How to move library from PC to NAS?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

How to move library from PC to NAS?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

I want to upgrade to Gold and move my library from my PC to a NAS (probably a Synology drive, not that it should make a difference). The PC on which MediaMonkey will run will continue to be the same.

Is there any specific procedure to be followed since I'll be moving to a NAS rather than to an ordinary drive?

Most answers suggest right click -> auto organise -> move; is this the recommended approach?
Or shall I just move the files , then File -> Locate Moved/missing tracks?

Would these approaches update the playlists, too?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: How to move library from PC to NAS?

Post by Lowlander »

I would use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0

The key is that it's easiest when MediaMonkey moves the files as that will update the MediaMonkey Library with the new location of the files.
YetAnotherLondonder

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

Thanks. I assume this means that MediaMonkey will automatically update the playlists so that they point to the new location of the files, right?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The ones in MediaMonkey, yes. They're in the same database and only reference the file and uses it's Path. Any external Playlist (files) would not be updated. MediaMonkey does not manage external Playlist files.

If you're doing a 1 on 1 copy of the files you can do it outside of MediaMonkey and use https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database afterwards. This, for example, would allow you to use a backup software to copy the files. This can sometimes work faster and would keep the original on the PC. This would allow you to fix things if they go wrong and remove them once all works well. If you also keep a copy of the MediaMonkey database you can easily revert if needed.