Grouping folders by letters (from 'Adele' to 'A to C\Adele')

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

Grouping folders by letters (from 'Adele' to 'A to C\Adele')

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

The folders containing my music library are currently arranged as Music\Artist\Album.
I would like to rearrange them into one folder for artists from A to D, one from E to F, etc.

Is there a quick way to do it in Media Monkey?

If I find a way to do it outside of MediaMonkey (either manually or putting a script together myself), what’s the best way to let Media Monkey update the location of the files, not that, say, Music\Santana has been moved to Music\S to Z\Santana?

The reason is that browsing the long list of folders on my car system (I export most of the music to a USB stick to play in the car) is clunky and can take forever. I haven’t done much testing with DLNA, but the same seems to apply to browsing folders on DLNA clients or on the music apps of the NAS vendors (Synology DS Audio, Qnap Qmusic, etc.).
Lowlander

Re: Grouping folders by letters (from 'Adele' to 'A to C\Adele')

Post by Lowlander »

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ormats/4.0

<Album Artist@4> would do this.
YetAnotherLondonder

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

Brilliant! And - forgive me if it's a banal question - I suppose I can use Album Artist to group together all the albums with different artists? Eg let's say the album is "Movie X soundtrack" and each track is by a different artist; I could set Artist to the artist of each track, and Album Artist to "misc" or "various". Is this how you do it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Album Artist is used to group files to an Album, thus it should be the same for all files on the Album, while Artist can be any value. Then use it when organizing if you want files to be organized by Album.