Portable mode playlists storage

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

OtakuScientist

Portable mode playlists storage

Post by OtakuScientist » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Ok, I just did a dumb thing. :oops:

I just installed mmw (gold) over a portable setup. I did make a copy of the portable setup.

Upon launch, I see no playlists (and other things, but not so concerned about those)
A quick look about the directory and the forum hasn't helped (though my search fu may be weak).

Rolling back feels possible, but I do not want to cause more damage.
I have many auto playlists, and some very near and dear manually created ones.

How can I retrieve them?

Edit: I have many of these playlists synced to mma.

Peke

Re: Portable mode playlists storage

Post by Peke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:37 am

Hi,
If I got this correctly, you installed regular version over portable version?
If that is the case then MM do not read correct MM.DB and thus your playlists are not available. You should copy MM.DB from Installation folder \Portable to c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey (please backup destination MM.DB just in case) and you should get your old library back.

If you installed portable version over regular version. Then you should copy MM.DB from c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey to Installation folder\Portable (please backup destination MM.DB just in case) and you should get your old library back.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

OtakuScientist

Post by OtakuScientist » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 am

Peke wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:37 am
Hi,
If I got this correctly, you installed regular version over portable version?
If that is the case then MM do not read correct MM.DB and thus your playlists are not available. You should copy MM.DB from Installation folder \Portable to c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey (please backup destination MM.DB just in case) and you should get your old library back.

If you installed portable version over regular version. Then you should copy MM.DB from c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey to Installation folder\Portable (please backup destination MM.DB just in case) and you should get your old library back.
Your understanding was spot on. All I really needed was DB location.

I have uninstalled, and rolled back to the portable setup, and all is well. I will upgrade over the portable setup as I should have the first time (after another BU). :roll:

What do I need to do to move the portable setup?
I have a 30k track library and launch times are slow, and intend to move it to an SSD (actually where my tracks are). Is there anything I can do to improve launch performance other than this?

Oh, and thanks as always for the wonderful product and service.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:44 pm

The database on a faster drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... e-location

And make sure you limit the amount of files in the Now Playing as this can slow things down.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)