Share Experience with Various Music Tagging Software

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Nonreality wrote: It uses Amazon... in Denmark
Last time I checked, there was no Amazon here. You probably mean Amazon.de which is the German site (de: short for Deutschland ;) ).
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Nonreality

Post by Nonreality »

spacefish wrote:
Nonreality wrote: It uses Amazon... in Denmark
Last time I checked, there was no Amazon here. You probably mean Amazon.de which is the German site (de: short for Deutschland ;) ).
Ok I was guessing, us Americans you know. :)
Say, isn't Australia just south of you? :lol:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Nonreality wrote:...

Hey, you're giving us a bad name! :lol:
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

nohitter151 wrote:
Nonreality wrote:...

Hey, you're giving us a bad name! :lol:
Yeah, really. I'm American, too. I just live in Denmark. :wink:
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

So, I've used the autotag feature in winamp and had some success with it.
I've just run through tracks that were left untagged after processing them with TagRunner and Picard. The only problem is that if you try tag a batch bigger than 100 files it crashes in the middle of processing them. Sometimes it even crashed with a smaller batch (less than 50). Which is very annoying after manually picking which ones it should make the suggested changes to.
I have approx. 1500 files I want to process with it but if i can only use 50 at a time it will take forever.
However, this is a known bug and they have already fixed it for the next release. So I'll wait until the new release comes out before I work further with it. Also from the files I did manage to tag it appears that it doesn't download album art, but this might be just the case for the set of data I used.
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

Nonreality wrote:Give mp3tag a try. I use it quite a bit and really like it. It uses Amazon both here in the states and in Denmark (great for imports), freedb and discogs. It will tag and download album art and you can manually edit on the fly. Best thing is that it's free. Donations are welcome I think. :lol: You can also auto number with choices and rename the files from tag info.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Thanks for the tip. I've had a look at this software a few times but I found that it requires a lot of manual input, i.e. it's not automated enough. Maybe it has changed with the latest release as it's a while ago since i tried it.
Is is possible to query a batch of files at one time or do you still have to do them one at a time?
What I like about Picard, Winamp, Tagrunner is that you can run a batch and then compare the original data with the suggested data and then decide if you want to accept it or not. Tagrunner is great for this because I set it up only to find information that exactly matches the artist and song name from the original file. I can trust what it finds without having to check it afterwards. Of course there is about 30% left untagged but then I can do these with Picard and Winamp and check the results after.
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it in this thread but there is another software similar to mp3tag, which is also free.
Lots of people have recommended to me, again it's a very good software for editing tags but the database lookup feature wasn't automated enough for my liking. It has a cool name too :lol:
The Godfather:
http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/

Edited to say:

I had a quick look on their website and there is a forum on there where users submit scripts like here. I'll have to have a closer look and see if these scripts help improve automation.
Nonreality

Post by Nonreality »

Aphex_Twin77 wrote: Thanks for the tip. I've had a look at this software a few times but I found that it requires a lot of manual input, i.e. it's not automated enough. Maybe it has changed with the latest release as it's a while ago since i tried it.
Is is possible to query a batch of files at one time or do you still have to do them one at a time?
What I like about Picard, Winamp, Tagrunner is that you can run a batch and then compare the original data with the suggested data and then decide if you want to accept it or not. Tagrunner is great for this because I set it up only to find information that exactly matches the artist and song name from the original file. I can trust what it finds without having to check it afterwards. Of course there is about 30% left untagged but then I can do these with Picard and Winamp and check the results after.
Yes you are right, it's more for an album at a time. Use it after a batch tagger to get everything correct the way you want it.
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

Aphex_Twin77 wrote:So, I've used the autotag feature in winamp and had some success with it.
I've just run through tracks that were left untagged after processing them with TagRunner and Picard. The only problem is that if you try tag a batch bigger than 100 files it crashes in the middle of processing them. Sometimes it even crashed with a smaller batch (less than 50). Which is very annoying after manually picking which ones it should make the suggested changes to.
I have approx. 1500 files I want to process with it but if i can only use 50 at a time it will take forever.
However, this is a known bug and they have already fixed it for the next release.
Just a quick note to let whoever is interested know that version 5.31 of Winamp was released today and the Autotag bug is supposed to be fixed. I haven't checked to see if this is true but will have a look tomorrow.
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

So I've tested Winamp 5.31 auto-tag with a few sample data sets of more than 200 files and there was no problem with crashing. As far as I can tell it still doesn't support album art. However, the files I tagged were ones I had difficulty tagging with other software so I could be just that the album art for these particular files was not available.
Jon Isaksson

Post by Jon Isaksson »

I havent got a great experience with tagging software but have been playing around with Jaikoz for awhile and finally got around to order a license.

I would really recommend people testing it. Does all the things I wanted out of it. I have quite a lot of Swedish music which other mp3 tagging software hasnt picked up.

I was surprised to see that it found lyrics for most of the albums I tried as well :)

For £15 you really cant go wrong :)
keror0

Post by keror0 »

Aphex_Twin77 wrote: automated enough for my liking. It has a cool name too :lol:
The Godfather:

Edited to say:

I had a quick look on their website and there is a forum on there where users submit scripts like here. I'll have to have a closer look and see if these scripts help improve automation.
Cannot read or access non-English character directory, removed immediately.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

keror0 wrote:
Aphex_Twin77 wrote: automated enough for my liking. It has a cool name too :lol:
The Godfather:

Edited to say:

Cannot read or access non-English character directory, removed immediately.
I guess it doesn't come with extra language packs by default:

http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/ ... tions.html
WebNodes
Peke

Post by Peke »

One of the apps that have Most of features, but UI is little hard to learn is
MP3 Tad Studio I have use it a lot till MM 2.1 but It is good only for MP3s.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Aphex_Twin77

Re: Share Experience with Various Music Tagging Software

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

Hi All,
I haven been on here in ages and haven't had time to look up or test any new software.
I'm still using the same solution Tag Runner > Picard > WinAmp > Fixtunes with 80 to 90% success.
I also just seen that Picard has been updated but I still have to try it out.
In the next weeks I'll scour the net again to see if anything has has a significant update or if a new software has become available.

Anyone else discover anything new in the last few months?

Ciao! :)