Which artists are underrated or forgotten?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

stax76

Which artists are underrated or forgotten?

Post by stax76 »

Neil Young maybe, at least for younger generations. The way how I learned about him is by accident, I wanted to discover new music so I was listening to all kind of different music which I didn't know yet, I've spent countless hours discovering music like this. I came across the song 'Cortez The Killer' then which I liked so I checked the playlist and saw it was Neil Young, I knew his name, but never knew his music because I was always more into black music. I got curious then and listened to more from him, the more I was listening the more I liked him. He played at Woodstock 40 years ago, released countless albums in 5 decades, he is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and influenced many artists. Cortez The Killer and Cowgirl In The Sand are my favorite songs, I think he is one of the greatest artist and guitar player ever and he is also a great singer. Meanwhile I'm listening much more to Rock and discovered other significant artists like Black Sabbath though the Soul of the 60's and 70's will always be my favorite music genre.

Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

Neil young & Crazy Horse - Cowgirl in the Sand
Last edited by stax76 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy

Re: Which artists are underrated or forgotten?

Post by rovingcowboy »

well there are some here i only know from the muisc cd's i bought. but they are i think underrated by lots of people. one that comes to mind is from the big band days. he was well known then but now. he is confused with the guy that died who was the info commercial hockman,
but the big band leader is Billy May, so you can see why he is not known by the younger people, but all generations know his song story that he wrote for his daughter. " Rudolph the red noised raindeer "

how many ever read the composer's name on the songs not many. but he also did a version of it that many don't like. but i think is cool. its called mambo rudolph the rednosed raindeer and is a comical big band one.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Shiny Rabbit

Post by Shiny Rabbit »

well as you can probably guess from my sig, I like Hatsune Miku. (well, she's a Vocaloid so calling her an "artist" is a bit of a stretch but still) her music is considerably better than the rubbish that's popular now (Lady Gaga, JLS, stuff like that, though, I don't mind Justin Bieber) and some of only recent stuff I can stand, of course, she's overlooked because she's Japanese and everyone here are narrow-minded sheep

(here being where I live, not this forum)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. MediaMonkey 4 (unless I forget to update this)
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

An artist I think is overlooked in the United States is Gilbert O'Sullivan. Most people only know him from his two big hits: Alone Again (Naturally), and Claire. Over the years he done many great songs, including: I Wish I Could Cry, Nothing Rhymed, and Matrimony. His songs often feature interesting word play and have a sense of humor to them.
Trev1

Post by Trev1 »

Check out :
- the flaming groovies, teenage fanclub, the flying buritto brothers, canned heat & fairport convention

5 great 'forgotten' bands :)
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Trev1 wrote:Check out :
- the flaming groovies, teenage fanclub, the flying buritto brothers, canned heat & fairport convention
5 great 'forgotten' bands
Trev, I have to disagree with you :wink:
But then you haven't seen my MM Library.
Playing Wild Horses with Gram Parsons as we speak.
Got some Hooker N' Heat lined up next.
:)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Trev1

Post by Trev1 »

MusicBringer wrote:
Trev1 wrote:Check out :
5 great 'forgotten' bands
Trev, I have to disagree with you :wink:
But then you haven't seen my MM Library.
Playing Wild Horses with Gram Parsons as we speak.
Got some Hooker N' Heat lined up next.
:)
No worries man we all have different tastes :D

Out of curiosity tho why do you not rate these bands?

Gram was great. My fav tune of his is Hickory Wind from the byrds album sweetheart of the rodeo !

The Flaming Groovies were like a cross between the stones and the beatles. They were the first Oasis , i.e.
copying other bands and coming up with nothing much original. In sayin that they did rock at times !

Teenage Fanclub - pop rock with great melodies and were v influenced by another band that were forgotten
- big star. yet another band to check out. Admittedly some of there albums sound very similar

The Flying Burrito Brothers - who can argue the talent of parsons, but people also forget Chris Hillman one of
the founding members of the byrds .......songs like Sin City are just dirty rock n roll !

Canned Heat - I got into these after seeing the Woodstock 69 documentary. They wer unique in that there main lead
singer 'the bear' didnt sing on there 2 biggest hits - 'goin up the country' and 'on the road again'. The guy with the
falsetto voice on those tunes sadly committed suicide in 1970. Still they could play the blues real good 8)

Fairport Converntion - Not everyones cuppa I guess but when Sandy Denny was lead singer with them they just gave me
goosebumps. The had tremendous musicians such as Richard Thompson (guitar) and Swarbrick was probably the best
fiddle player of all time

PS: im not saying these are my fav bands by any stretch but just forgotton ones that might be worth checkin out
MarCn

Post by MarCn »

stax76 wrote:Neil Young maybe, at least for younger generations. The way how I learned about him is by accident, I wanted to discover new music so I was listening to all kind of different music which I didn't know yet, I've spent countless hours discovering music like this. I came across the song 'Cortez The Killer' then which I liked so I checked the playlist and saw it was Neil Young, I knew his name, but never knew his music because I was always more into black acomplia music. I got curious then and listened to more from him, the more I was listening the more I liked him. He played at Woodstock 40 years ago, released countless albums in 5 decades, he is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and influenced many artists of seroquel. Cortez The Killer and Cowgirl In The Sand are my favorite songs, I think he is one of the greatest artist and guitar player ever and he is also a great singer. Meanwhile I'm listening much more to Rock and discovered other significant artists like Black Sabbath though the Soul of the 60's and 70's will always be my favorite music genre.

Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

Neil young & Crazy Horse - Cowgirl in the Sand
Michael Stanley Band

Focus

Sir Lord Baltimore

Seatrain

J. Geils Band before they were forced into pop rock
Last edited by MarCn on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Sorry Trev1, there is a misunderstanding.
I am not saying I do not rate these bands.
I am saying they are "underrated or forgotten" as per the heading.
I am saying they are not forgotten in my house where they were playing on my MM.

As you say they are typically just forgotten ones that might be worth checkin out - I agree :)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

just wondering but how many of you have noticed that if one singer or member of the band or group can die and the radio stations forget about the group in about a year or so.? and if the single artists die they are forgoten before they are buryed. i don't think that is a good thing, cause if the songs were good before the loss of the artist then they are still good after the loss.

the dee jays have gave me the reason when i asked for one of these artists songs in a request. that they don't play them anymore. or they don't play people like that.?

what the ????? is that type of reasoning. i still play the songs from singers of the 1920's they are good some sound a bit dated now but gee thats 90 years ago. so they would be dated.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

found an band leader that i never heard about so he must be on the forgotten list. sounds good too and from the 20's - 50's chicago time frame.

Bix Beiderbecke

guess he is not too forgotten as i found his albums and covers online but does not seem to get much attention anymore.? :D

edited in

i just remembered the other one that is forgotten too.

Jack Teagarden

Post by Guest »

Jack Teagarden? Wow. that is an old one, I Bet Nobody has heard of this singer before.

" Linda Manning "

I found that you roving cowboy are looking for her album covers from one of your posts in the many forums you were in.
I have not got one for you, but thought maybe two looking for one, will get some response for you.
I've done some online searching for you and found that she died 5 years ago in Alabama, Maybe looking at sites around that
state will get you an photo.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yepper that might help. :D
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

My vote for most under-rated band are;

The Grass Roots
The Union Gap
Tommy James and the Shondells
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

This is an interesting thread. Forgotten arsts and forgotten greats which we still remember the artists On the time line starting way back.

60s
Paul Revere & The Raiders, (kicks,Just like me)
Steppanwolf (Snow Blind Friend)
Troggs (our love will still be there)
Dick Dale (Pipeline)
Solomon Burke (Cry to me)
Tommy James and the Shondels (Mony Mony, Crimson & Clover, Crystal Blue Persuasion)
Old Fleetwood Mac (As Long As You Follow)
Spooky Tooth (Evil Woman, Waitin' For The Wind)
Alvin Lee & Ten Years After (Goin Hoome, I'd Love to Change the World, Love Like A Man)
Monkees (Daydream Believer, Valleri)

Later,
Tears For Fears (Shout, Women in Chains, Everone wants to Rule the World)
Nic Guilder (Hot Child in the City)
Thunder Clap Newman (Hollywood Dream)
Bruse Cockburn (I wonder Where the Lions Are)
Marc Cohn (Silver Thunderbird)
Lou Bega (Mambo #5)
Cowboy Junkies
Eric Johnson (Cliffs of Dover)

Current unknowns
Blackmore's Night - All there stuff is great but I will throw out a few Blackmore is credited with the creation of Heavy Metal (lead guitar and co founder of Deep Purple) and Dragon Metal, but was so temperamental he is despised by the US music industry. His new music was never sold in a brick and mortar store in the US. Now he does a hardrock- Renaissance fusion which is is best music ever.
(Under a Violet Moon, A Possum goes to Prague,Village Lantern)
Will Martin (Into the West,Over the Hills)
Hilary Stagg - he play the electric harp again his music is uniformly good
Sleepthief (Eurydice, The Chauffeur)
Secret Garden (You Raise me Up ) the original an best version

Well know
Lucinda Williams