Story Songs

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

tosarge

Re: Story Songs

Post by tosarge »

:D Speaking of Coal..I'll have to raise the anty and offer a prize to the 1st person with the correct answer.

One Copy of
Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford
Lightbee

Post by Lightbee »

Hey ToSarge. I finally registered. got tired of clicking on the monkey pics! I knew i made that clue too easy! It was Hotel California.

i don't know either of your miner songs but a great theme song for the first one would be "Stayin' Alive" also by the BeeGees. I bet if I wasn't trying I could get it because I know a lot of BG songs.

I'll see your miners and raise you. This one has almost all of the miners getting out and a metaphor using an oak tree.

Try that one on for size.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

I'm gonna guess "Big Bad John" by,(i don't know)...but i know in the song they refer John to 'big as a oak tree" and i think he was a Miner

My contest still alive>
Ok I got a new one , might be tuff one.
There were 2 very popular songs about Mining Cave-Ins, one was in 1967 by the Bee Gees
The New York Mining Disaster 1941. In that story we never really got the outcome/ending as to what happened with the miners that were trapped. The song just told of the miners coping with the wait of being found.

In this story song 1971....told about 3 miners trapped in a cave-in with food enough for only 2...they were rescued BUT only 2 miners were pulled out and the 3rd wasn't there?..He was cannabilized.
what was this story song?
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

tosarge wrote:I'm gonna guess "Big Bad John" by,(i don't know)...but i know in the song they refer John to 'big as a oak tree" and i think he was a Miner

My contest still alive>
Ok I got a new one , might be tuff one.
There were 2 very popular songs about Mining Cave-Ins, one was in 1967 by the Bee Gees
The New York Mining Disaster 1941. In that story we never really got the outcome/ending as to what happened with the miners that were trapped. The song just told of the miners coping with the wait of being found.

In this story song 1971....told about 3 miners trapped in a cave-in with food enough for only 2...they were rescued BUT only 2 miners were pulled out and the 3rd wasn't there?..He was cannabilized.
what was this story song?
"Timothy" by the Buoys. Per "The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits" by Joel Whitburn, the song's composer of Rupert Holmes. Holmes was responsible for two other story songs as a performer: "Him" and "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)."

[Addition to original post]

Some more story songs to add:

- "L. A. International Airport" by Susan Raye
- "Amos Moses" and "When You're Hot, You're Hot" by Jerry Reed
- "Remains Of The Day" (from "Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride") by Bonejangles (voiced by Danny Elfman)
- "You Went The Wrong Way, Ol' King Louie", "Crazy Downtown", and "The Rebel" by Allan Sherman
- "The Legend Of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard Nimoy
- "Entering Marion" and "Tone Deaf" by John Forster
- "Don't Put Another Dime (In The Jukebox)" by The Flirts
- "Don't Take Your Gun To Town" by Johnny Cash
Last edited by Solitaire001 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

And we have a winner !
Nice job Solitaire, if you'd like to get your prize, 1 copy of "Sixteen Tons" just leave me a message in PM of where to send it.

:D
Lightbee

Post by Lightbee »

Hey Tosarge, There wasn't any closure on the BeeGee's mining song because there was no mining accident in New York. Now, if it had been about tunnels there are lots of them under New York City and it would have been alligators in the song attacking subway workers not miners! :D

And yes, i looked it up on the internet. Marvelous invention we have now! The mining accident was in Wales but they didn't want to offend anyone that was hurt by it so they moved the mine.

So you got Big Bad John. I still don't think he was bad, just kind of quiet and shy. Okay, I'm going to get you this time. Boy meets girl, they fall in love and marry. She disapears and the only evidence is an ever blooming rose.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Good Info about the Mining disaster, I never knew that. I shuda figured there was no real mining being done in New York.

Ok,,,here;s a couple Rose guesses that i know are Wrong !
Every Rose has it's Thorn - Poisen :D
I never promised you a Rose garden
Guns n Roses song.."The Garden"..well nobody dies in that one but he loses his virginity in the garden :D

Umm Rambling Rose....?
Umm.."You Didn't Have To Die Before Fixin Supper" by I'm Just Kidding :D
Let me sleep on this one..lots of roses songs going thru my mind
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

ok here's my real guess..."A Kiss From A Rose" I don't remember who sang it.
It went something like
"Baby, your love is like a kiss from a rose" , and now that your rose is in bloom...blah blah blah blah.

I think it was from 70's maybe, early 80's ?
anyway that's my guess.

Oh edit...now that i'm singing that in my head, i don't think that was a real story song, more like he was just spewing out about how he thought she was like a rose....oh well, i'm probably wrong with this guess
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

hows about this one tosarge.

this story song is about a girl and a guy in the west. the girl is being bothered by a visitor from back east.
the girl's, guy, shows up and the vistor never gets back home.

no reason given just left up to mind of why he is not home. it involves a rose also.
try that one see if you can figure it out?
before you ask where did i get the song? like my others out of my library collection. :D

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lightbee

Post by Lightbee »

Nobody gonna give Tosarge a hand?

Well, you were closest with Rose Garden although it is the wrong answer. The rose was in a garden. It's by Waylon Jennings and called Rose in Paradise. The Georgia banker is a jealous man. He hired a gardner then thought he was gettin' it on with his wife. Both the gardner and wife dissapeared. The only thing left is a rose in the garden that even blooms in the dead of the night.

Here's a story song for you, The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace. Good song but no basis in real life. Rocky Mountain High by John Denver is a story song. It is his story. It's biographical. It was his friend that died he wrote about and him and his friends went up the mountain and watched the comets and camped out.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Oh Shoot I should have gotten that 1 , I even have that song in my library. I had too many rose songs going thru my head.
Good 1 though.
Ok here's another. 2 very popular songs dealt with death by suicide.
Ode to Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry 1967 (i think) dealt with Billy Joe taking a swan dive off the Tallahatchee bridge. (poor guy, nobody ever really knew why either)

Well then in this popular song (early 70's..) the story is about this guy who plans to take a fatal leap from a high tower. (we never really find out if he actually does it or not) But it's him singing about doing it. Maybe that's why we don't know if he does or not. You can't very well finish the story/song if your splattered all over the ground.
What was this song?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

tosarge is it wildwood weed by jim stafford? :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Nope. but I can give another clue besides the date, the singer was/is Irish I believe
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

no idea only singers i know from ireland are the group celtic women.
i dont think they sang that long ago? :-?

you have any idea of my last one? its another old one. :D
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Yeh I think that's a old cowboy/western song about some guy smoking the "wacky tobacky" :D