Moving from MP3 to FLAC, what about TAG's?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

surfthenet

Moving from MP3 to FLAC, what about TAG's?

Post by surfthenet »

Years ago, when storage was still expensive, I ripped my whole CD collection in a MP3 format (128). However, nowadays storage has become much cheaper and larger, 32GB SDHC cards are no longer unrealistic or unaffordable.
So I'm thinking about re-ripping my collection (aprox 600 CD's) with a better quality, preferably a FLAC format (lossless but compressed). But many of my CD's are special (very old special buys of Jazz or classical music etc.), and I had to spend a lot of time entering the right Trackname, adding the right coverpictures and also adding the basic ID3 tag infos to them.
That's actually what's holding me back from ripping the whole thing again, the huge effort to add that info again manually.
Isn't there a way of ripping the CD's to FLAC format and then doing the tagging from the existing MP3 file? So it will copy filename (except for extension of course), interpret, composer, genre, cover picture etc. from the correctly named/tagged MP3 file to the newly ripped FLAC file?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there with that problem, there got to be a solution to this challenge! (?????)
Lowlander

Re: Moving from MP3 to FLAC, what about TAG's?

Post by Lowlander »

surfthenet@gmx.ch

Post by surfthenet@gmx.ch »

Thanks Lowlander for that hint. And I went off to install the script.
However, I can't get it running as I would like it. I studied the description to this script back and forward (and I'm usualy tehcnically not as dumb ...), but couldn't figure out how to copy Tags from a bunch of MP3 Files and paste them to the FLAC styleTags of the new FLAC files. And I mean not one tag by another, but as a batch operation. After all, I got 600+ CD's, if I would have to copy and paste tag by tag I might as well do it all over again. I need to at least have some listing which copies and pastes the whole tags of all records for an album (the problem is the tracks do have different names because I used a tool - Mp3Nity - to batch rename my tracks based on the tag information. Now I can't do that with the FLAC files because the tags to do so are missing).
Furthermore, when using the script and trying to paste the tag, I alkso get an error message saying that it can't be pasted to a copied file ... ?

So I do have those (renamed) old mp3 files with all the right tags, and I would lile to apply that information to the new FLAC file with different filename, as automatic as possible to allow for batch operation. Any specific hint on how to resolve?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll have to ask script related questions in the scripts thread. I haven't used this so I don't know.
daouhelius

Post by daouhelius »

surfthenet@gmx.ch wrote:Thanks Lowlander for that hint. And I went off to install the script.
However, I can't get it running as I would like it. I studied the description to this script back and forward (and I'm usualy tehcnically not as dumb ...), but couldn't figure out how to copy Tags from a bunch of MP3 Files and paste them to the FLAC styleTags of the new FLAC files. And I mean not one tag by another, but as a batch operation. After all, I got 600+ CD's, if I would have to copy and paste tag by tag I might as well do it all over again. I need to at least have some listing which copies and pastes the whole tags of all records for an album (the problem is the tracks do have different names because I used a tool - Mp3Nity - to batch rename my tracks based on the tag information. Now I can't do that with the FLAC files because the tags to do so are missing).
Furthermore, when using the script and trying to paste the tag, I alkso get an error message saying that it can't be pasted to a copied file ... ?

So I do have those (renamed) old mp3 files with all the right tags, and I would lile to apply that information to the new FLAC file with different filename, as automatic as possible to allow for batch operation. Any specific hint on how to resolve?
Hey Buddy,

Do post back once you get a solution to this challenge, I am in similar situation.

ma_t14

Post by ma_t14 »

Does it have to be from within MediaMonkey?

You can use Mp3Tagg or MusicBee and copy the tags from the mp3s to the flacs easily (just "ctrl c /ctrl v" them) including artwork but excluding filenames