What happened to user amandasmith?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

tinana

What happened to user amandasmith?

Post by tinana »

I notice new posters periodically appear in the Off Topic forum out of nowhere and diligently post replies to every single new topic without fail, no matter how wide-ranging and disconnected the subject matter might be. The user amandasmith was one such poster, posting an impressive amount of replies in a short time, but now I can't find any trace of this user.

Was this a spambot?
MM Gold/Lifetime member
Lowlander

Re: What happened to user amandasmith?

Post by Lowlander »

tinana wrote:Was this a spambot?
I presume so, she probably was replaced with jmsmrtn98.
tinana

Post by tinana »

That's what I was thinking. They seem to be harder and harder to detect. If bots, it's odd that they aren't obviously pushing or promoting anything.
MM Gold/Lifetime member
jiri

Post by jiri »

I deleted her completely. Started by a PM to her and even got a meaningful reply. However, later after few more posts I had seen, I was sure that it's only about spamming. Hard to say whether these users are fully automatic spambots or to some degree controlled by live users. Anyway, they are painful and I'd recommend all moderators to be merciless to all new users that post only a lot of posts, without any real meaning.

Jiri
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I presume they might be smart spammers. First enter a forum and post semi-meaningful, but not really contributing messages and later change the signature to include spam when nobody is paying attention to the posts anymore.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, it's a good way to try and saturate the forum with lots of links - very annoying of them really!
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Its a pity phpbb hasn't got a delete all posts by user option - well if it has I have never found it :-?
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
jiri

Post by jiri »

A user (and all his posts) can be deleted only by Admins, it can't be assigned as a Moderator right. That said, it looks like it would be useful to assign this right to Moderators (even if a little dangerous).

Jiri