Page 1 of 1

Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 am
by abharkl
Its been years since I have purchased a CD, and I dont really purchase music in general at this point. Not with all the free methods available.

Anyway I wanted to get back into purchasing my music as this is my last area of non-paying procurment we shall say and I want to know what are the best places to get music from?

Amazon
iTunes

Are there others? If so what and why are they better.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm
by dtsig
abharkl wrote:Its been years since I have purchased a CD, and I dont really purchase music in general at this point. Not with all the free methods available.

Anyway I wanted to get back into purchasing my music as this is my last area of non-paying procurment we shall say and I want to know what are the best places to get music from?

Amazon
iTunes

Are there others? If so what and why are they better.
I love going to flea markets, pawn shops garage sales etc. I do get much from Amazon. You can find a lot of hard to find things there and on Ebay (though you really have to be careful there). Lots of other places for searching hard to find stuff. As I also collect DVD/blu-ray i have a prime account on amazon and this saves shipping. Though shipping can be got around by purchasing 25$.

But I never buy from iTunes.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm
by nohitter151
Buying from Amazon is great. If you buy a physical CD they will also give you a free mp3 download of the album and store it on their cloud server, which you can access from your Amazon account (and download to various devices if you wish to).

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm
by abharkl
I didnt know that Amazon had switched to that. Thats a cool deal.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 pm
by nohitter151
abharkl wrote:I didnt know that Amazon had switched to that. Thats a cool deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200997290

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 pm
by SpacedSkunk
If it's online I now prefer to buy off Amazon, you seem to get better quality downloads than what you get off the Apple store plus they are standard MP3s making it nice and less proprietary.

CDs are still the best choice really, since it's obviously excellent quality and you can rip it to a lossless format easily.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:30 am
by maverick05
Spotify! I think is good choice. I pay a monthly subscription and have music without limits.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:56 am
by Scottes
HDTracks, or physical CDs from Amazon. I listen to only FLAC files so I don't use any other online places. When a CD from Amazon comes in, I rip it to FLAC and put it away - CD case in the attic, CD itself in a CD case.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 am
by FrozenAssets
http://bandcamp.com/

"...your choice of high-quality MP3, FLAC, or just about any other format you could possibly desire"

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 pm
by mynetdude
nohitter151 wrote:
abharkl wrote:I didnt know that Amazon had switched to that. Thats a cool deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200997290
nohitter151 wrote:Buying from Amazon is great. If you buy a physical CD they will also give you a free mp3 download of the album and store it on their cloud server, which you can access from your Amazon account (and download to various devices if you wish to).
I've been a MM user for awhile, just started posting recently but wanted to point out that not all CDs offered on Amazon are available with free mp3s but it looks like more are becoming available.

oops old thread :(

was looking at this as I'm also trying to decide on purchasing options too.

Re: Purchasing Music.. Whats your preference?

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:45 pm
by dtsig
Not too old a thread and ideas are ideas :)