iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kudos

iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Post by kudos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I synched a brand new iPhone XR (iOS 12.1.2) with MM (latest version 4.1.23.1881). The phone was working perfectly and was recognized by iTunes before the MM sync.

Post-sync, I can see and play the songs on my phone. But when I open up iTunes, it says that iTunes cannot read the contents of the phone and that the phone must be restored to factory settings. This is a problem as I can no longer backup or sync via iTunes, etc.

Am I the only one with this issue re the new iPhones? Is MM being updated to address this? Expected ETA on MM update?

Peke

Re: iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database

Post by Peke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi,
We received another report from iPhone XR similar to yours and we track it at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15280 but for now we are not being able to replicate problems on our Apple devices. For now that we know renaming iTunesCDB to For now that we know renaming 1iTunesCDB fixes problem till next iTunes sync.

But it also looks it is not just related to MMW as quick search finds several reports like https://appuals.com/fix-itunes-cannot-r ... ts-iphone/ that refer to same issue.

Please note as that is third party site not in any way related to MediaMonkey that we can't be sure about its accuracy and we can't be responsible if any damage happen to your device if solutions and proposals from that link are tested and used to try to fix your issues.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add Images to forum

kudos

Re: iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Post by kudos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:41 am

Thank you for letting me know. It’s pretty clear that the MM sync is corrupting the iTunes database because that was the only action I took. I went through the process twice and had to restore each time. Tried different cables, deleting a song and iPhone restart, and even uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Same negative result.

I have since restored to a previous backup (pre-MM sync) and have avoided MM since. I’ll switch to Amazon Music or Spotify for a while until this issue gets resolved. Hopefully you can figure it out because I really like MM.

Ludek

Re: iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Post by Ludek » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi thanks for reporting!
Although I am still unsuccessful to replicate the issue, I have been able to fix some tweaks (differences) between iTunesCDB written by iTunes and by us.

Could you please download this d_iPhone.dll : https://www.dropbox.com/s/tewmko02od12k ... e.dll?dl=0
And copy it over your current d_iPhone.dll in the {MM install directory}/Plugins/d_iPhone.dll
Then run MM, do a sync (e.g. copy or delete single track) and try whether iTunes still refuses the CDB file.
If the problem still persists then it would be helpful if you could temporarily delete the music and playlists previously copied by MM and copy just single track/playlist to the iPhone using MM.
Then verify whether the iTunesCDB is acceptable by iTunes (or not) and send me the iTunesCDB file.
If it is acceptable with the single track then try to broke it by copying further content and send me another iTunesCDB file for the comparison.

For downloading the iTunesCDB file you will need an application like iMazing : https://imazing.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA99vh ... HIQAvD_BwE
And then access using iMazing to this path: File system > Media > iTunes_Control > iTunes > iTunesCDB

Deleting the iTunesCDB file is a current workaround for you to be able to use iTunes for sync/backup (without a need to restore the device)