sort order on ipod shuffle

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dbinder

sort order on ipod shuffle

Post by dbinder »

After synching the shuffle, is there a way to sort the order on the device? For example, I'd like the order to be by song name. When I click on the Title column within MM, it appears sorted correctly. But after I eject the device, turn on the shuffle, and have it play in order (rather than in shuffle mode), it plays in the order by Album title not song title. Any advice?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You will need to read the iPod Shuffle documentation on how it determines play order. If it's by filename you can format the filename to contain it's playlist number.
If it's by tags (which I fear) you will have a harder time to configure this.
con_oner

Umm..

Post by con_oner »

Lowlander wrote:You will need to read the iPod Shuffle documentation on how it determines play order. If it's by filename you can format the filename to contain it's playlist number.
If it's by tags (which I fear) you will have a harder time to configure this.
You sort the songs on a shuffle in iTunes. You just click on the shuffle in the source list and then either drag and drop the songs in the order you want or click on column heading you want to sort. However MM doesn't seem to allow you to drag and drop the songs in the order you want or am I missing something?
con-
flashk

Post by flashk »

I just bought an iPod shuffle (2nd gen) and am also having trouble controlling the play order. Has anyone figured out how to accomplish this with MediaMonkey?
jiri

Post by jiri »

The files synched to iPod Shuffle are always sorted by Album, then Track number and the Title. A manual sorting would broke this feature - so I'm leaving this open for discussion to decide what would you like...

Jiri
flashk

Post by flashk »

It would be nice if it used the same order as my MM playlist. I realize this could get complicated if you are syncing multiple playlists to the device. However, I only use one playlist to sync my shuffle and this is probably the most common situation. Maybe adding an option like "Auto-Synchronize using playlist order" under the "Auto-Synchronization Settings" would be useful.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Problem is that in MM you have many more choices than to synchronize a single playlist. That said, something like this could be considered...

Jiri
flashk

Post by flashk »

Maybe you can add a special case when there is only one playlist being synced. I know this is not an elegant solution, but there really should be a way to control the song order on iPod Shuffles through MM.
mobynewt

Post by mobynewt »

jiri wrote:The files synched to iPod Shuffle are always sorted by Album, then Track number and the Title. A manual sorting would broke this feature - so I'm leaving this open for discussion to decide what would you like...

Jiri
That is very kind of you. I suggest including an option for synchronizing iPod Shuffle to put all playlist files first, sorted by playlist name and playing order, followed by all other selected files in artist, album, track order.