Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

deemathes

Re: Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Post by deemathes »

I was thrilled with MM and now bummed I am having issues. I thought I had no problem getting playlists synced to my iPod from MM, but am now finding certain songs are being left off the list. I have searched for a reason for this and am coming up empty. The songs being left off are on my PC, MM, and iPod, but continue to be left off the list. Any help?
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

You might want to check under your iPod's "Device Configuration" in MM, that the folder which contains the missing songs is checked in the Auto-sync tab. If that's not it...then I dunno. :-?
deemathes

Post by deemathes »

Thanks for your reply, figured it out! I am not generally a "computer retard" and don't like advertising it when I am, but in the interest of helping others I will post what happened! The missing songs were just a handful of songs that missed being converted to .mp3 format. So being .wma they wouldn't transfer over to the iPod. A notification from MM as to why they hadn't transferred would've been nice (something like, "Your files didn't transfer because you are a retard and didn't convert them." lol) but really that is an insigificant detail about a program that I am just thrilled with. I love MM and think it is simply an outstanding music maagement tool!
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

deemathes wrote:Thanks for your reply, figured it out! I am not generally a "computer retard" and don't like advertising it when I am, but in the interest of helping others I will post what happened! The missing songs were just a handful of songs that missed being converted to .mp3 format. So being .wma they wouldn't transfer over to the iPod. A notification from MM as to why they hadn't transferred would've been nice (something like, "Your files didn't transfer because you are a retard and didn't convert them." lol) but really that is an insigificant detail about a program that I am just thrilled with. I love MM and think it is simply an outstanding music maagement tool!
I haven't ever used this function, but under the device configuration for your iPod there is an auto-conversion function. Where formats that are not supported on your iPod get converted to one that is supported based on your settings.

Here's a thread that I started because recently I was not exactly sure what these settings did....this info might also be helpful for you. It probably could of fixed your original problem you where having. Maybe that's also why MM doesn't give you an error message, since that function exists?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=45747
deemathes

Post by deemathes »

Yes! That is very helpful...thank you very much. And just when it seems I couldn't love this program more...

Thanks for all your help...I really appreciate it!
Pennachi

Post by Pennachi »

Instead of auto-sync. Use Sync selected
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

Hi, as someone who used to be irritated with the same issue I thought I'd talk through what I do now that seems to work - and is prob what the developers have been saying all the way along, it was just different to how I did things manually under itunes so took me a while to accept....

All my music is in MM Library, way more than my ipod can fit....

I'll go through my playlist dirs to explain.... I might be doing this the most complicated way ever, but it seems to work so I leave it alone.

Playlists

->Playlists for ipod {
->100 random tracks (something for variety)
->5 random albums (something for variety)
->Favourite albums (the albums I usually always want on my pod, doesn't change a lot, mostly just to add to)
->testing albums (albums I've recently got, gone back to, not yet commited to having on my pod all the time, changes frequently)
->Guitar lessons (songs I'm learning for guitar)
}
All these come to about 22gig. There are songs that are on more than one playlist at times - so far I've never had dupes on the ipod unless they're from different albums, which I want.

->IPOD (made up of the 5 playlists above, I use this as the base playlist for everything that follows).

->Playlists for ipod {
->4* favourites (music rated 4* and plus from IPOD playlist)
->unplayed tracks (unplayed from IPOD playlist)
etc... I have 15 playlists under this folder.....
}

I autosync the random albums and the guitar playlists from the first directory (cause I want them as playlists), the IPOD playlist, and all the playlists for ipod.

I checked a lot initially and there isnt any duplication of songs, except where there should be. This gives me all the playlists I want, based only on the tracks that are on my ipod.

An autosync only replaces the tracks from the random playlists.

Hope that helps someone and stays formatted the way I wrote it :) nope, so I've used brackets to indicate folders.