Ratings and Timstamps

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

thekidkid

Ratings and Timstamps

Post by thekidkid »

I've been having problems with MM syncing songs that already syncing to my Zen:Vision M. I just realized that every time I hook my zen up and it gets ready to sync, every song that I've rated gets a timestamp of the current time, which then makes it sync to my zen. Is this supposed to happen? Is there a way to fix this? I'm sure I'll just have to change all of my rated songs to "Unknown" in order to stop this problem but I was just wondering if there was something else I could do instead so I can keep my ratings. Thanks
thekidkid

Post by thekidkid »

Bump. I changed all of my songs to have an "Unknown" rating but I'm still having the problem with it only re-adding songs I've previously rated.
Al_G

Re: Ratings and Timstamps

Post by Al_G »

thekidkid wrote:I've been having problems with MM syncing songs that already syncing to my Zen:Vision M. I just realized that every time I hook my zen up and it gets ready to sync, every song that I've rated gets a timestamp of the current time, which then makes it sync to my zen. Is this supposed to happen? Is there a way to fix this? I'm sure I'll just have to change all of my rated songs to "Unknown" in order to stop this problem but I was just wondering if there was something else I could do instead so I can keep my ratings. Thanks
I notice this too. It would be really nice to have an option to *not change the files on the computer in any way*. The existing setting of "Auto-Syncronize tracks from the device to the PC" is being ignored when unchecked, and MM seems to be doing it anyway.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

You can change the option that MM doesn't write the tags to the files and doesn't change the timestamp.

Tools -> Option -> Tags and Playlists
Al_G

Post by Al_G »

onkel_enno wrote:You can change the option that MM doesn't write the tags to the files and doesn't change the timestamp.

Tools -> Option -> Tags and Playlists
It's only an issue when the player is trying to synchronize with MM. I want MM to make changes to the files for any other activity.

The other problem is that when starting synchronization, it scans (and updates?) the entire library, which takes a *long* time. Before recent version updates it wouldn't do this; it would just add new tracks to the player. Something changed with the way MM handles synchronization to the Vision:M, which is what thekidkid is asking.
andsoitgoes

Post by andsoitgoes »

I'd like to offer a bump and state that I'm getting the same. and THEN some:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 5852#85852

It's currently taking about 5 minutes just to "preare list of tracks"

Really head-bangingly frustrating :(
jiri

Post by jiri »

Try to post (or directly e-mail to me) some more information, e.g. when do you think that difference of speed of synchronization started - if you try some older version, does the problem disappear?

Jiri
Al_G

Post by Al_G »

jiri wrote:Try to post (or directly e-mail to me) some more information, e.g. when do you think that difference of speed of synchronization started - if you try some older version, does the problem disappear?

Jiri
I tried Version 2.5.5.990 and the delay due to tag updates is present. I don't remember if it was a problem before with this version. I'll need some time to check some older versions. I haven't done any firmware changes on the Zen and other than Windows updates, nothing else is new on the computer.

Two things I noticed, which are significant.

1) The Zen>MM tag update (which I do not want!!!) changes all the 1/2 star ratings in MM to whole numbers. The tag update process takes 10 minutes for 11,800 tracks on my 60GB Zen, even before any files are moved. Please let us have the option to disable this tag updating.

2) Even if I'm trying to synchronize a sub-set of only 10 tracks, ALL files on the computer are updated to the current timestamp because their tags are modified - even if they weren't played on the Zen or don't have a 1/2 star increment in their rating. This is a major issue because I synchronize the computer's tracks to an external hard drive for backup, and a sync for a new CD used to take two minutes but now takes two hours because every file is copied not just the 10 new ones!
crcm

Post by crcm »

i think i have the same problem. Everytime i sync my zen....about 500-600 are tagged and then synced in my zen even if i just synced them.
crcm
Jerking monkey since 2005 - FINNISH Translator
MM4.X | Win7 enterprise sp1 | SPDIF earsex | Denon sushi | AKG hearing aid | Lumia 820 color blindness OR Samsung Galactical Voodoo magic
jamesb9

Post by jamesb9 »

**BUMP**

I just discovered this problem myself -- has any fix or workaround been discussed?
juice

Post by juice »

I just lost all my 1/2 star ratings after a sync. Super. Is there any fix?