iPod File Naming - Avoiding Duplicates

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Iggy64

iPod File Naming - Avoiding Duplicates

Post by Iggy64 »

It appears that my 80GB iPod will only play files whose filenames are 31 characters or less. (That is, 27 characters plus the extension). I have therefore enabled the MediaMonkey option that automatically truncates filenames to 31 char.

I expect that I will eventually encounter many instances of duplicate filenames resulting from this truncation process. Does MM automatically modify duplicate filenames in order to keep them unique? I know that the iPod folder system shuffles tracks into various folders, but it seems likely that duplicates will eventually be sent to the same folder.

If MM does not automatically distinguish among duplicate filenames resulting from truncation, I could try something like

<Title:23><Random>

in order to avoid duplicates.

Just wondered if I need to do this.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem some months ago. I also tried <random> but unfortunately it didn't work because MediaMonkey afterwards when you synched didn't recognized the song and always wanted to copy all the songs again.

Anyway I found a good soultion. I use the mask: <Artist:3><Album:3><Track#><Title>

This way the songs of an album are also always in the right order if you copy them to your harddisk.

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design