iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

GaryBonaducci

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware isn't compatible with MM

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Emdee wrote:The only possibility Is to select the musicfiles within MM and drag them to "Music" of the iPhone (3G) in iTunes...
Hey! That works with Playlist items from MM to iTunes too!! (Cut & Pasting works too!) This tip helps me out A LOT!! Thanks!! :D
Milka

Post by Milka »

You don't need MM for this, you can drap & down files from Windows commander to iTunes....

The key is to do not use itunes at all!
DazB

Post by DazB »

Hi,

Is the situation still the same with the 2.0.1 firmware?

Daz
iphone-guru

Post by iphone-guru »

Really seeing forward to have a fix! Mediamonkey is wortless to me without iPhone-sync, and I can't live without MM if it has the iPhone-syncronization.

Thanks for developing!
rdo2000

Post by rdo2000 »

Ok, it looks like I need to do a restore of my new iPhone 3G since trying to go a MM sync made iTunes not like my phone. Problem is I've already bought a couple apps through the app store (directly through the phone). I can't back them up because iTunes won't talk to the phone without a reset. Anyone know if the reset will keep my purchased apps intact, and/or whether I'll be able to reinstall them if not? Thanks

- rdo
brianon

Post by brianon »

You'll get your apps back alright.

If you ever buy an app and try to buy it again it'll tell you that you already bought it and can get it for free now.

Post by Guest »

I think your apps will be fine, you'll just have to redownload after restore. I have had to redownload before and all worked fine (w/ the exception of AOL Radio)
rdo2000

Post by rdo2000 »

Thanks, I was able to reinstall my apps after doing the reset. (It's a bit scary though because you have to click on "buy" before you get the message indicating that you've already bought it and that the download will be free).

Looking forward to fixed MM syncing with 2.0 devices...

- rdo
fros1y

Post by fros1y »

I've seen some posts on iPhone 2.0 threads start going into a very negative tone. I hope that my post will be read in the constructive voice it was written in. That said, this is commercial software and I am a paying customer disappointed with a product, not with an open source project where everyone is volunteering their time.

It's frustrating to have so little developer feedback at this point because I (we?) have absolutely no way to know if iPhone 2.0 support is slow in coming because:
1) It's very hard or
2) it's not very high priority.

Of course, it may be both. But I grow frustrated when I feel it can't truly be the 1st and that it must be the 2nd.

My understanding is that there was iPhone 2.0 firmware available for testing well before a release, which was now about 1 month ago. I did not see any MM discussion at that time regarding compatibility. That strikes me as a slow pace and a poor sign of things to come with future iPhone updates--which might well again break MM. Apple does not make it easy, but a music library is increasingly pointless without mobile device support and Apple iPhones are a substantial market.

So here's what I'm asking for, and what I'd be willing to pay for.

If this is a #1--it's really hard--I feel like those of us who are familiar with software development would like to know what is hard about it, what the issues are, and whether resolution seems likely. This is a very reasonable request, given that there has been 1+ month to poke around with the new structure.

If this is a #2 problem--there's a low developer priority on it-- I'd like the chance to vote with my dollars. I'm a paid-up lifetime licensee and there's no viable competitor to MM for me to switch to, so I'd be willing to pay *more* for an iPhone-capable MM-license. I hope I'm not alone. If it's so very hard to keep up with the Apple feature treadmill, let those of us who want you to pick up the pace pay additionally.

I love MM and I love my iPhone. I hope that I don't have to abandon MM, because I won't abandon the iPhone--and Amarok is coming for Windows.
cosnet

Post by cosnet »

Well, I was so excited that MM connected to my iPhone I went and bought it right away. Connecting seemed fine but as has been reported it hoses the Music DB. My iPhone worked but it said I had no music. I reconnected to iTunes and it asked to restore from backup. The backup failed and was hung for 15 minutes before I realized to hold the power and main button for several seconds to force shutdown. I thought I just made a brick.. reconnecting would not restore.. had to act as a clean install and then resync all the apps..

Please fix soon.. I really liked the music management features of the software and thought I had finally found something better than iTunes which sucks at music management.
Bruce
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

In case anyone didn't see the latest change to the MM website (added earlier today):

http://www.mediamonkey.com/news/
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
piranha

Post by piranha »

I can hardly call that "news".
Leech

Post by Leech »

awww, I need iPhone support again!!
ilcypherli

Post by ilcypherli »

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this as well, but when I tried to sync my Ipod Touch 2.0.1 with MM 3, it said it synced fine. Of course the music files didn't play on the ipod and itunes said the ipod was corrupted. I know you guys are working on this and that's fine.

My main concern is that any m4a files that were synced to my ipod 2.0.1 from media monkey got corrupted are were no longer playable in either itunes or media monkey. Hopefully someone can look into this as well. The mp3 files that were synced appear to all still work fine, it was just the m4a's that got messed up.
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

Hmmm.. as far as I know neither MM or iTunes would of affected the files actually on your PC, they only copy files to the device. In MM's case, if it needs to modify the files (leveling or whatever) then it copies them to %TEMP% first and modifies them there..