Need Relative not Absolute Playlists when Syncing [#6255]

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

walemly

Need Relative not Absolute Playlists when Syncing [#6255]

Post by walemly » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 pm

My MP3 player requires that playlists be in a relative and not absolute format in order to work correctly. Since the player also requires the playlists be stored in the root of the same folder where the music is stored, the track path written to the playlist should not include the name of that first folder but instead start with a .\. I can't figure out how to set MM 3.0.6 to do this. Now it writes the full path where the tracks are stored to the playlist file rendering it useless. I know I could go in with a text editor to modify the playlist files but this is tedious. Also, I'm legally blind and my vision continues to deteriorate so I'm looking for a permanent solution. I use the d_WMDM.dll plugin with my player's SDHC card. I've seen some posts here on this topic but they involved scripts if I understood them correctly. Unfortunately, it was difficult to follow them since I know nothing about scripts and following them was hard due to my vision problems. Does anyone know of a solution for my problem? Thanks for any specific instructions that can be provided.

Alan
Last edited by walemly on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hans123

Re: Need Relative not Absolute Playlists when Syncing

Post by hans123 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:53 am

You can have a look at my posts on the same subject. If you link your device to the d_USBMass1.dll plugin and set in Device Profile, Device Configuration, Playlist Options, Playlist Directory to the correct directory, you will probably get what you want.

walemly

Post by walemly » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks, hans123. I will look at your posts. Are you saying that if I properly configure the d_USBMass1.dll plugin that it will by default use relative paths when writing playlist files? I have set those playlist options in the d_WMDM.dll plugin I'm currently using but it writes playlists with the absolute path.

Alan

walemly

Post by walemly » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 pm

I successfully set up the d_USBMass1.dll plugin with the same options I had previously configured for the d_WMDM.dll plugin and my playlist problem was solved. Apparently, the d_USBMass1.dll plugin uses relative paths in the playlists it writes versus the d_WMDM.dll which uses absolute paths. Thanks hans123 for directing me to your posts which provided the answer.

Alan

hans123

Post by hans123 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Glad my posts helped. Maybe you can edit the title of this thread, add [solved] or something of that nature. Happy listenings!

walemly

Re: Need Relative not Absolute Playlists when Syncing [SOLVED]

Post by walemly » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Good suggestion. I've added SOLVED to the end. Happy holidays.

nelem

Post by nelem » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Sorry to re-open this but, try as I might, I cannot get the relative paths to work for me. I am using the d_USBMass1.dll plugin and I'm trying to end up with a structure something like:

\Music\...
\Playlists\Artist\...
\Playlists\Album\...
\Playlists\Playlist\...

I can get this structure OK but I also need the file references to be relative to the playlist location. In this case I need an album playlist to say something like ..\..\Music\... but it ends up with \Music\...

If I set the sync path to be ..\Music then the playlists start \..\Music which looks like MM really wants it to be absolute.

Cheers
Tony

walemly

Post by walemly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 pm

Tony, I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Have you thoroughly checked out the help system that discusses the various field names and masks you can use when configuring playlists, etc.? Open Help and search on Configuring Directory and Filename Formats and look through that topic. The table provided has extensive masks. In my situation, the music folders on my source computer were laid out such that I wanted all folders included in the particular track's path except the first 4. I therefore used a <Path:4> in the mask for the destination location. Anything you type in the destination location that is not a mask or subfolder, will be hard-coded into your playlist. In my sync'd SD card, my music must go into a folder called $VRMusic. Therefore, my destination location in the Playlists tab of the Device Profile dialog box is $VRMusic\<Path:4>. The particular playlist file created on sync is placed in the $VRMusic folder and each track's playlist path contains all the source subfolders excluding the first 4, i.e. a relative playlist. I suspect that my needs were much simpler than what you're attempting but I hope you'll find something helpful in my comments. Post back if you have other questions and I'll do anything I can to help.

Alan

nelem

Post by nelem » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Alan, I am trying to keep the playlists and music separate because my media server (Xtreamer) is pretty primitive. I am using MM to auto-create Artist and Album playlists using Copy Playlists option. In the Options.. I would also like the playlists to be in subdirectories. i.e. /Playlists/Album

So, my 'Synch Tracks to' is set to: Music\<Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> - <Title> -- which does the right thing

I've set Copy playlist=ticked and Copy Playlist options to: Generate device playlists for Library Playlists, Artists, Albums; Destination Directory=\Playlists and also 'Organize Playlists using:' 'subdirectory for each playlist type'

The playlist contain entries like: \Music\Billy Joel - 52nd Street\01 - Big Shot.mp3 which is an absolute path with leading '\' I need the relative path of the file from the playlist.

Next I tried:
Synch tracks to: ..\..\Music\<Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> - <Title>
playlist now becomes: \..\..\Music\Billy Joel - 52nd Street\01 - Big Shot.mp3 (Still with leading '\'

After much experimentation it seems that if I try to organize playlists into a separate directory OR use subdirectories for each playlist type, them the playlist contents end up with a leading '\'

This seems like a bug to me. Perhaps a missing feature checkbox to force relative paths.

Cheers
Tony

walemly

Post by walemly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Tony, I still haven't quite caught up with you. I'm trying to duplicate what you're trying to do but I am unfamiliar with where you find the settings Copy playlist=ticked and Copy Playlist options to: Generate device playlists for Library. I've never used those features but if I understand your post, those are the settings that are giving you the problem. It sounds as if the synced tracks are working correctly by going to Music.... without the dreaded first \. I suspect that the problem relates to the different subdirectory locations for your playlists versus your music tracks but I'd love to understand those copy playlist options you described if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction.

Alan

nelem

Post by nelem » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

Alan, take a look at Configure Device panel/Device Configuration tab. Look below "Sync tracks to:" You'll see the "Copy playlists" checkbox and a button labeled "Options..."
In the dialog box titled "Copy Playlists" is where all the playlist configuration is.

I think the bug is that if a playlist path is entered OR if the "Organise playlists using:" is set to "subdirectory for each playlist type" THEN MM starts inserting the leading '\'

Whilst I would still like to bottom this out, you did point me to another great MM feature which is the whole file mask area for syncing devices. Due to limitations in the Xtreamer only displaying a maximum of 4096 items in any list, I was able to get MM to create a music path of \Music\A\Abba, etc. so I have albums grouped alphabetically.

Cheers
Tony

walemly

Post by walemly » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Tony, thanks for sticking with me so I could duplicate your issue. I did duplicate it and see precisely what you mean. Have you tried posting the issue to Tech Support to see what they say? I'm still a bit confused about relative playlists I guess because it would seem for them to work properly, they'd have to live in the same root folder from which all sync'd music is branching. Otherwise how would the player know where that first track that begins without a \ is branching from? I guess this is one of the reasons I was confused when first reading your post about relative playlists that were being routed to a Playlist folder instead of the starting folder where your music sits. I would think only an absolute playlist that provides the complete path would work in such a case. I'm sure I'm not considering something but I do hope that my various ramblings helped in some small way. Take care.

Alan

rusty

Post by rusty » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 am

Tony,

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're looking for.

The sync logic is designed to _automatically_ calculate the correct paths to the tracks in the sync list.

e.g. If you set a mask for your music of /Music/Rusty/blah/<Artist>/<Artist>-<Title>
and a playlist setting of /Playlists with 'Subdirectory for each playlist type'
--> you'll end up with:
All tracks saved according to the music mask
/Playlists/Artists/<Artist>.m3u (for all selected artists)
/Playlists/Albums/<Album>.m3u (for all selected albums)
/Playlists/Playlist/<PlaylistName>.m3u (for all selected playlists)

The .m3u files are automatically constructed so that they refer to the paths of the tracks as defined by the Music mask.

I don't understand what need this doesn't meet :-?

-Rusty

Important note: If you're testing MM 3.1.2 from the beta forum, make sure that you're using at least 3.1.2.1286 since earlier builds had a bug with this function.

saheemg

Post by saheemg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:51 pm

I am seeing the same problem. Here's my setup:

dest windows 7 machine - D:\Users\Public\Music\. I share this directory.

on source winows xp machine - I map the windows 7 network share to drive Z. As a result, the source machine does not see the entire tree. It just sees the contents of the music folder.

My syncs to path is: <Album Artis>\<Album>\<trace#> - <Title>

Music syncs to driver Z: just fine.

The .m3u playlists sync'd look like:
\David Cook\David Cook\4 - Come Back to Me.mp3

Since the playlists are in D:\Users\Public\Music\Playlists And the music is in: D:\Users\Public\Music\, the playlist cannot find the tracks.

After synching, I think the playlists should look:

..\David Cook\David Cook\4 - Come Back to Me.mp3

OR (if I put the playlists in subdirectories depending on the type)

..\..\David Cook\David Cook\4 - Come Back to Me.mp3

nelem

Post by nelem » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Sorry, rusty I thought IO had replied to this. May I didn't press submit.

saheemg has explained exactly my situation. The Xtreamer device shows a different path over the share than it does internally.

Over the share it shows \\SERVER\Music but internally the path is \sda1\Music. So any playlist with an absolute path will navigate to the wrong path.

This is a legitimate scenario where relative paths come in useful.

I have reopened ticket WCA-193930. Actually, I was a little disappointed to see it had been closed.

Cheers