iPod Touch 3.0 firmware - iTunes tips needed

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

telliott

iPod Touch 3.0 firmware - iTunes tips needed

Post by telliott »

I haven't used iTunes to copy music to an iPod for ages. With the new 3.0 firmware, we are forced back into iTunes (temporarily). It is nice to be able to sync music and video at the same time though.

What I did was copy/convert the flac files I wanted to sync to a new folder as mp3 files (from MM), then import that folder into iTunes. iTunes is set to not consolidate files so I have a folder that contains just the tracks I want to sync. Is there a way to create a smart playlist in iTunes that will collect all the tracks in this new filder only? I couldn't find "path" or anything similar in the filtering options. I wound up creating a smart playlist that collected tracks added on the current date. Is there an easier way to do this?

I transferred my podcast subscriptions to iTunes. iTunes wouldn't import the opml file exported from MM so I had to add the feeds one by one.

People point out "missing" features in iTunes like folder watch. These features are missing by design. You aren't supposed to mess with your files outside of iTunes and Apple would have me believe I'm wrong to use flac instead of Apple lossles GRRRRRR!

What are we supposed to do?

thanks,
Tim
telliott

Re: iPod Touch 3.0 firmware - iTunes tips needed

Post by telliott »

Any ideas?

I'm thinking I made a mistake by ripping my CDs as flac but I don't want to convert them into a proprietary format if I don't have to.

I tried the newest Songbird which has 2 way iTunes sync for playlists but it is SO primitive compared to MM. I wish MediaMonkey could treat iTunes as a sync device and make sure everything is converted into a temporary folder and iTunes playlists are created, iTunes db updated, etc. I don't really sync music every day but I do sync podcasts every day. I have my subscriptions in iTunes and, like I said, it's nice to do audio and video at the same time.

Could something like this be done in a script?

Thanks,
Tim
Lowlander

Re: iPod Touch 3.0 firmware - iTunes tips needed

Post by Lowlander »