Confused about playlists

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

danny62

Confused about playlists

Post by danny62 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:39 am

I wish to create playlists in MM and then sync them with my Zen MX.
I tried several time but something is going wrong.
My steps are:
1) Create a new playlist in MM.
2) Populate it by adding music from my library
3) Right click> Send to MyZen (Synchronize)
4) Go to playlist node in MyZen and the playlist is there. So far so good.
BUT the playlist is EMPTY!! There is no music in there, either if I look in MM or in my device.

What I'm doing wrong?

Tx.

nynaevelan

Re: Confused about playlists

Post by nynaevelan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:58 am

Check the autosync dialog setup to ensure the playlist is going to the \My Playlists\ folder on the Zen instead of the MM default of \Playlists\.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

danny62

Post by danny62 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:08 pm

> the default folder for playlists in the italian version of Zen is called "Playlist" (without s")

Are you really sure about that? E.g. did the Creative software put playlists there and they worked? Because like Nyn I find otherwise:

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:19 pm

danny62

Post by danny62 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:14 pm

After some experiments I figure out where is the problem. It's not a problem of MM but is a bad implementation of the Zen MX software. In my Zen the playlists created by itself or by Creative Central refer to the audio tracks with old DOS 8.3 path (e. g. BACH\BACH-B~1\BWV104~1.MP3), while the lists created by MM refer to the complete path.
I don't know if there is a workaround for this issue, since the Zen MX don't recognize the paths with more than 8.3 characters.
If someone has an idea how to fix this issue, please let me know.

Tx

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Isn't the MX newer than the X-FI, I wonder why it is using old DOS paths?? Did you look on Creative's website to see if there is a firmware update to change this or maybe a setting within the Zen that can be changed? 1.02.4 is the latest version of the firmware.

Found this topic in Creative's forum, but most of the posts state a firmware update will help. I did not see anything that limits the naming convention to the DOS 8.3 paths, where did you find that info?? Also, have you tried uninstalling the Centrale software? I am confused why Creative would add such restrictions on the MX that none of the other Zen's have.

danny62

Post by danny62 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 am

I have the latest version of the firmware.
I don't see this info nowhere, but it's a my own direct knowledge: after export the playlists on Zen I go tu MyComputer, open them whit notepad and look at their content: all track have the path written in the old DOS 8.3 format while the playlists created with MM are written in regular Windows format.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:53 am

Have you tried posting your question on Creative's forum? They are not as helpful as here but sometimes you get lucky.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 pm

> since the Zen MX don't recognize the paths with more than 8.3 characters.

Very unlikely. The ZEN MX is a slight update to the ZEN on which I have used long names many times.

> it's a my own direct knowledge: after export the playlists on Zen I go tu MyComputer,
> open them whit notepad and look at their content: all track have the path written in the old DOS 8.3 format

That may mean only the writing software chose short names, not that long filenames are disallowed.
Chris

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Same here and I thought it is unusual for Creative to create this limit on the MX, I've noticed that they are in fact not very creative at all. They will change the body of the player but they all seem to have the same limitations. At least that is my experience with the last 5 that I have had.

danny62

Post by danny62 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:19 am

chrisjj wrote:> since the Zen MX don't recognize the paths with more than 8.3 characters.

Very unlikely. The ZEN MX is a slight update to the ZEN on which I have used long names many times.

> it's a my own direct knowledge: after export the playlists on Zen I go tu MyComputer,
> open them whit notepad and look at their content: all track have the path written in the old DOS 8.3 format

That may mean only the writing software chose short names, not that long filenames are disallowed.
I've made some other experiments which I believe confirm my opinion.
I renamed a file in MM in a way that it's had <8 characters in every subfolder of its path, created a playlist with that file inside and trasferred the playlist to my Zen and... it worked!!

Playlist with paths >8 characters didn't work, anyway.

I posted a message about this issue in Creative forum and in the Anythinbutipod forum but so far i get no answer.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 am

I cannot confirm or deny this with my Zens because I do not have any paths that exceed the 8.3 DOS format, but this weekend I will do some tests and see if my Zen's have this limitation. Do you think it might be a setting in your OS??

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:37 am

> I renamed a file in MM in a way that it's had <8 characters in every subfolder of
> its path, created a playlist with that file inside and trasferred the playlist to my Zen and... it worked!!

I'm amazed. Well done!
Chris

danny62

Post by danny62 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:10 am

nynaevelan wrote:I cannot confirm or deny this with my Zens because I do not have any paths that exceed the 8.3 DOS format, but this weekend I will do some tests and see if my Zen's have this limitation.
The issue in my Zen MX is shown also if filename's lenght is longer than 8 characters.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:18 am

I guess a workaround would be to trim each field to only 8 characters, example:

$Trim($Left(<Title>,8))

So each time you have a mask, surround it by
$Trim($Left(<>,8))

Hopefully it won't cause too many duplicate filenames on your device.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.