syncing random songs to ipod

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kiwichick

syncing random songs to ipod

Post by kiwichick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:34 pm

hi there, I've been using for MM for a while now but I was still using iTunes for syncing my iPod. But today I decided to plug in my iPod and check it out with MM. My iPod is quite old and only 3.6GB capacity. Obviously my music library is bigger than that so I've created an AutoPlaylist which selects 3GB of random songs. I think I've probably missed something somewhere but how do get my AutoPlaylist to exclude the songs that are currently on the iPod from the random selection so I get a whole new selection of songs? I created another AutoPlaylist based on 'Path/Filename contains iPod' to use in conjunction with the random AutoPlaylist but it doesn't get any results. Hope that all makes sense. Cheers.

kiwichick

Re: syncing random songs to ipod

Post by kiwichick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Ok so now I've just found the MM option to "Sync random subset of selected Music and Playlists up to device capacity". Seems that would achieve the same result as my random AutoPlaylist. But would that still leave me with the problem of getting a different set of songs next time I sync or does checking this option allow for that? Cheers again.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:35 pm

You can setup a random AutoPlaylist to be synced and it would have different tracks each sync. Just set the sort order to random. You can, but don't have to limit the AutoPlaylist size.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks Lowlander, As I said above I've already done that. What I want to know is will the new random selection exclude the songs in the current selection on the iPod?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:28 pm

kiwichick wrote:Thanks Lowlander, As I said above I've already done that. What I want to know is will the new random selection exclude the songs in the current selection on the iPod?
No. It will be random, which may or may not include tracks from the previous selection.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:30 pm

As said it would be random each time. If you want to exclude previously synced songs you can set a rule for that in the AutoPlaylist.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Thanks guys, Lowlander if you can confirm nohitter151's post then that'll be 'nuf said. If he should be incorrect can you please tell me how to set rule in AutoPlaylist. I did try using iPod as 'path/filename contains' but it didn't work.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 pm

You can use the criteria Synchronization Status to prevent tracks that were synced to be on the AutoPlaylist.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:50 am

Awesome Lowlander!! Thanks heaps for that!