Cannnot Synchronize Playlists Since MM 4.03 Upgrade

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Rick472

Re: Cannnot Synchronize Playlists Since MM 4.03 Upgrade

Post by Rick472 »

nullspoon wrote:Basically you need to have your Fuze in MSC usb mode (I'm sure that MTP works as well, but MSC is way faster for transferring lots of files) and do some options tweaking.
In the device options in MM, you need to force relative paths, set your destination directory to \ , and use extended m3u (this one is super important, otherwise the player won't recognize any of the things in your playlist and it will show as empty). I explain these things a bit more in depth in my blog post in case anyone is interested.
So, I just ran an experiment because I have been using MM3 for years and only recently (i.e. MM4) had any problems synchronizing my Sansa Clipp. My experiment was the following:

Format the Sansa to get rid of everything.
Set it to MSC mode.
Use the settings above and sync a test playlist.

When I did this, everything was good. Then I did the following:

Format the Sansa
Set it to MTP mode.
Sync a test playlist with exactly the same settings.

In this case, my playlist was not found and/or recognized by the Clipp.

What's weird about this is that I have for years been using my Clipp in MTP mode. It seems to be only with this last update (4.02 to 4.03) that things got screwed up. Although, I have to add, MM4 is definitely not to my liking. For example, who says that "Classical Music" is not "Music"? I am still tempted to go back to MM3, but hopefully this will be the last round of significant changes to MM for a while.

Anyway, thanks to those in this thread for helping me get to the bottom of this!
lrankine

Post by lrankine »

I'm using a Cowon J3.....where do I look to see what mode it's running in? I'm sure I'm just missing it but I have no idea how to check this much less change the mode.
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

Rick472 wrote: Format the Sansa
Set it to MTP mode.
Sync a test playlist with exactly the same settings.

In this case, my playlist was not found and/or recognized by the Clipp.
Use a actual Beta.
captainmcl

Post by captainmcl »

Rick472 wrote:
nullspoon wrote:...Although, I have to add, MM4 is definitely not to my liking. For example, who says that "Classical Music" is not "Music"? I am still tempted to go back to MM3, but hopefully this will be the last round of significant changes to MM for a while.

Anyway, thanks to those in this thread for helping me get to the bottom of this!
I'll admit I haven't spent a long time with it, but I think you can modify a lot of the settings in v4 that you might not like. For example, in Tools/Options you can hide the tree nodes like Classical (see the Media Tree section). (I also hid nodes that I don't use, like Media Servers, Net Radio, and Web.) However, if you look at the options for the Classical node (right-click on the node itself/Edit Collection), you'll notice why it might be useful -- you can have nodes in that collection to organize the music by Composer or Conductor, which might not apply to general music.

If you don't like that (or don't have enough Classical music to really need it), you can hide that node and change the filter criteria on the Music node to also include Classical.
CaptainMCL
Frisco, TX, USA
sher-e

Post by sher-e »

I appreciate everyone's information here. I have been a long-time MM fanboy, but recently had let my upgrades lapse due to some family illness. I didn't even think about checking the forums about the newest release, because I've led a charmed existence with MM and never experienced any problems with any of my devices. It was great to have everyone's advice to refer to and I tried most of the recommendations that seemed to apply.
Lowlander wrote:
4.0.2 should work: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0
Thanks so much, Lowlander. 4.0.2 worked for me once I reverted back to some previous settings I had for my Sansa Clip. I decided to play it safe and roll back as opposed to going Beta when I saw in the forums that people were having problems with Sansa clips and Sansa clip+.

Because everyone was so generous with what worked and didn't work for them, I am posting what ultimately worked for me in reference to my Sansa Clip (8GB).

1) Reverted back to 4.0.2
2) Changed my Sansa Clip USB settings back to "Autodetect"
3) Reformatted the Sansa Clip (I'm not sure whether I had to, but it was just good form for testing)
4) Reset my MM Playlist settings to my previous default of "Use Unicode (UTF-8 encoding) for M3U Playlists
5) Cleared the "Force Relative Paths" MM Playlist settings
6) Cleared the "Use Extended M3U" MM Playlist settings

"...And there was much rejoicing... Yay! Yay!" :D
papafett

Post by papafett »

HI all,

I have just downloaded the beta of 4.05 and tried synchronizing a playlist to a factory reset Sansa Clip+ 4GB and had the same problem - all the songs copied but the playlists show as empty! This is my primary reason for even owning Media Monkey (can copy MP3 files to the device using Windows' explorer!)

Jamaal: If yours still doesn't work, try playing around with the playlist settings?
Do you mean on the device or in MediaMonkey? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Bob
pitflyer

Post by pitflyer »

Now this is what I call an upgrade. I have been on the verge of dumping MM after many years of use due to long library scans at startup, random crashes, and worst of all that our droid phones would never sync properly. Well, downloaded the new beta today and ALL of those issues are long gone. Working great - thanks so much!!
papafett

Post by papafett »

Well for me I'll be requesting a refund of the $25 I just paid and will roll back to my paid MM V3 license if they can't fix this soon!
twinger

Post by twinger »

The 4.05 Beta has solved the problem on my Sanza Fuze, thankfully.
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

papafett wrote:I have just downloaded the beta of 4.05 and tried synchronizing a playlist to a factory reset Sansa Clip+ 4GB and had the same problem - all the songs copied but the playlists show as empty! This is my primary reason for even owning Media Monkey (can copy MP3 files to the device using Windows' explorer!)
I also have a Sansa Clip+ and it works. What are you doing wrong :wink:

At first - in which mode does your Sansa work, MSC or MTP mode?

What playlist do you find on the Sansa with your Windows Explorer?
Pla or m3u?
Screw this

Post by Screw this »

Screw this, MM has caused nothing but problems for me... Still can't get my fuze to work. Peace out.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need 4.0.5 and it should work. For me it works with the Clip+.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

I am having this problem with an iPod. I used to be able to sync songs in "now playing" to my iPod and it would show up as a playlist, now it no longer does. In fact, the songs I synced won't even show up under the artist column on my iPod, I actually have to go through the album column to find it.
JEMILOD

Post by JEMILOD »

Revert to MediaMonkey v4.0.2.1462. I put in a dozen hours and found this to be the only solution. You can download it from the site.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

JEMILOD wrote:Revert to MediaMonkey v4.0.2.1462. I put in a dozen hours and found this to be the only solution. You can download it from the site.
That fixed it. What a glaring bug, hope it gets fixed soon.