Syncing External SD taking ages

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Richard127

Syncing External SD taking ages

Post by Richard127 »

Hi all

Upgraded to MM 4.1 but now it takes forever to scan my Sony Xperia Z1 external SD card (at least 6 minutes every time I plug it in), and it locks up Windows explorer at the same time. Used to have no problems before 4.1 upgrade... I could sync tracks whilst MM was scanning the SD card. Now, I have to wait for scan to finish every time.

Getting ridiculous and causing a lot of frustration. I have seen posts from late last year with people having similar problems. Is this still ongoing and is there a fix or does anyone else have any other ideas?
Last edited by Lowlander on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum
Lowlander

Re: Syncing External SD taking ages

Post by Lowlander »

Most problems are traced back to the MTP drivers not MediaMonkey. I experience hung syncs and thus have switched to wifi syncs which work wonderfully.

You can capture the connection of the device and sync process in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Thanks Lowlander but I can't see anything in the logs. This is all I get when I run DeBug:

[11764] ASL checking for logging parameters in environment variable "MediaMonkey.exe.log"
[11764] ASL checking for logging parameters in environment variable "asl.log"
[10876] Atwtusb : WM_DEVICECHANGE, WParam=7

It all works fine but takes ages. All was fine, and is fine if I go back to MM 4.0.x. It's just MM 4.1.x
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you install the debug version of MediaMonkey?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Do you have MMA installed on Sony and how much tracks you have on the phone?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Hi Lowlander

Stupid me, no I didn't install the debug version of MM. However... I switched to the Mass Storage option on my phone and it works fine and scans in seconds, so I suspect your idea of the problem lying with the MTP driver is correct. It did work fine with MM 4.0.x however.

Is there a way of updating or re-installing the MTP drivers?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've heard of people installing MTP drivers, but don't know how they did that. Once wifi sync was added I gave up on USB sync.

Note that although you can use d_USBMass1.dll that it won't be able to sync play counts from your device.
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Thanks Lowlander. I do use WiFi but it's a bit slow compared to USB. I do have about 28gb of music on the SD but that never used to be a problem. I'll stick to using the Mass Storage option with occasional WiFi which is quicker than waiting 5 minutes every time I plug the phone in.

Thanks for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should capture the MTP troubles in a debug log (step 4b) so that the developers can try to resolve it: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
Richard127

Post by Richard127 »

Thanks Lowlander, I've submitted a log today. Here's hoping there's a solution. Thanks again for your help.
Richard127

MTP Freeze

Post by Richard127 »

Hi Guys

I Reported this problem back in March and never found a solution and it is still happening. Basically, when I plug in any MTP device to MM (MM4 - Latest build and up to date as off this post) it takes up to ten minutes to read the device. It also hangs Windows explorer for that whole time as well. I can plug a device in and it will show up in Explorer (also fine with WMP and Winamp), but as soon as I run MM and it finds the device, I'm back to waiting ages in MM and Explorer hangs.

PS: Devices that can be connected as Mass Storage are fine.

I've noted quite a few other threads regarding this problem but have never found a satisfactory solution (many fixes require rooting devices etc.)

I've noted MM devs have dipped in to it but this has been going on for a couple of years now. Is there any update as this problem really gets me down.
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic