Attempting to Sync MP4 Video File to Android Device

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

onyxwave

Attempting to Sync MP4 Video File to Android Device

Post by onyxwave »

Hello,
I'm attempting to sync a particular MP4 video file from MediaMonkey 4.1.1.1694 Test Build for Windows to my Android LG-E970 smartphone by way of USB.

Here are the specs for the MP4 video file:
General
Complete name : M:\Music\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - Nevermind - (Music Video dir by Samuel Bayer) Smells Like Teen Spirit - 01.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 75.5 MiB
Duration : 4mn 37s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 285 Kbps
Movie name : Smells Like Teen Spirit
Album : Nevermind
Album/Performer : Nirvana
Track name/Position : 1
Performer : Nirvana
Composer : Kurt Donald Cobain; David "Dave" Eric Grohl; Krist Anthony Novoselic II
Genre : Grunge
Recorded date : 1991- 9-24
Encoded date : UTC 2014-01-26 18:53:55
Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-26 18:58:54
Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.9 2013052900
Cover : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
rate : 100
ORGANIZATION : DGC Records
CUSTOM2 : Samuel Bayer
TRACKNUMBER : 1
COVERARTDESCRIPTION1 : Album:Front Cover Art
COVERARTTYPE1 : 3
COVERARTDESCRIPTION2 : Album:Back Cover Art
COVERARTTYPE2 : 4
COVERARTDESCRIPTION3 : Album:CD Art
COVERARTTYPE3 : 6
COVERARTDESCRIPTION4 : Album:Inside Art
COVERARTTYPE4 : 5

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 4mn 37s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 1 702 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Original display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 29.847 fps
Minimum frame rate : 1.665 fps
Maximum frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.165
Stream size : 56.2 MiB (74%)
Writing library : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-26 18:58:54
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 4mn 36s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 329 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 634ms
Stream size : 6.29 MiB (8%)
Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-26 18:58:53

In the Options section of the the device (LG-E970) I selected "Auto conversion" in the Settings left list box, then clicked on "Set formats...", and tried adding the different combinations of options so that it would sync this particular file from the PC to the smartphone. Nothing seems to work, so I'm hoping that someone here in the forum can suggest the proper settings given the specs provided above.

I also tried it on versions 4.0.7.1511 and 4.1.0.1690 and they didn't work either.

Thanks.
(happy MediaMonkey user since 2001 when it was named Songs-DB)
Lowlander

Re: Attempting to Sync MP4 Video File to Android Device

Post by Lowlander »

What/how does it fail?
onyxwave

Post by onyxwave »

It keeps telling me that "this file is not supported" every time I attempt to do a sync. I can say that in a previous version, though I don't know the exact version number, this file type, and even this particular file, used to transfer over to my smartphone just fine with no problem. My smartphone does support playback of this file type and resolution so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm currently attempting to try older versions to see if I can find a previous one that did use to work.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Supported Formats settings in the Device Profile for your device (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) as this setting determines which file types are supported on your device. Conversion Rules then make sure that any unsupported format can be converted to a supported format.
onyxwave

Post by onyxwave »

@ Lowlander - that's what I was already referring to in my original post. I was in my Device Profile settings where you set the file types that your device supports. So I already figured I was in the right section of the options. The problem was, that I couldn't figure out what the proper settings that I should have selected to enable MediaMonkey to recognize that this was a file which was ok to sync over to my device. That is why I posted the specs for the file in question hoping that someone here in the forum would have assisted me with selecting the correct options. Thanks for trying to assist me though. :)

I can say happily that I was able to figure it out. Since the file video format was shown to be "AVC", I assumed that in MediaMonkey I had to set my Video format to "MPEG4" since there was no "AVC" option to select in MediaMonkey. In actuality, I had to set the MediaMonkey format for this particular file to "H264". Then after that I just had to set the Profile to "High" and Levels to "4.1".

Thus, now I know that the Advanced Video Codec (AVC) video format is "H264" in MediaMonkey. That was where I was confused, and thus not selecting the proper options so that this file would sync over to my device.

Problem solved and thank you.
aswearengen2

Post by aswearengen2 »

I started having the same issue after I installed Mediamonkey 4.1.1.1703. My video files will not sync, and it says they are unsupported, even though they synced and played perfectly well before. I do not seem to be able to resolve the issue through the settings. I went into options and changed the "supported formats". By default it says all formats are supported, so I don't see why I would need to actually specify which individual formats should be supported. I went ahead and selected every format anyway, and the videos will still not sync. I did not have any autoconversion rules set, so I put one in to convert all "incompatible" video to the exact same format I already have the files in and it will autoconvert the files and sync them. However, I do not want to wait an hour for mediamonkey to convert already compatible files just to sync them. I've already converted all my files, so I don't want to convert them again. Looks like I am going to have to manually add videos to my phone, but I would appreciate a fix.

Specifically, I tested syncing a video with the following specs - Video, H264(avc1), 480x272, 16:9, 23.98fps, 443kbps, Audio AAC4LC, 2 Channel, 48000Hz, 128kbps
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you setup the correct Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync)? For most devices it will only list some supported formats (best guess as to what device supports).
aswearengen

Post by aswearengen »

OK, I've done some more troubleshooting and I think I have it fixed. My Galaxy SII was configured using d_USBMass.dll. I forget why I was using that rather than d_WMDM.dll. I think it had something to do with syncing playcounts with Playerpro. Anyway, I tried doing a fresh configuration using a new USBMass file and I got the same error. I then did a fresh configuration using WMDM and everything syncs fine. I even tried configuring the USBMass with the same supported format settings as the WMDM and that didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, but it looks to me like it is the USBMass which is the issue.

EDIT - Now I know why I didn't use WMDM. For whatever reason, when I finish a sync of a playlist, and then come back and sync the playlist again (which should remove items not in the playlist and just add new items in the playlist, not resync the entire playlist), the new sync will try to sync all files again, not just the new ones. So, I went back to troubleshooting. I found if I export the settings from the WMDM config and then import those settings into the USBMass config, the USBMass config will work properly and syncs will just sync new files, not resync the entire playlist again.
rheostaticsfan

Post by rheostaticsfan »

I'm having the same issue. I can't figure it out. My formats "supported by the device" include:
MP4 | 3GP; V: H264, 0=100000kbps; A: AAC4LC | AAC4LTP, above 8kbps

and my file says:
Video, H264 (avc1), 512x288 (16:9), 29.97 fps, 539kbps
Audio, AAC4LC, 2 Channel, 48000 Hz, 79 kbps
Audio, AC3, 2 Channel, 48000 Hz, 224 kbps

File size: 30.1 MB
Length: 4:57
Bitrate: 841 kbps

Any ideas why it won't sync to my Galaxy S6 edge?
KiwiBanjo

Post by KiwiBanjo »

Hi, I am having the same problem - which is a bit surprising that it is still a problem in 2018.

OK, it may be that I have missed some key settings in the Portable Devices Profile, but if the issue has been solved, where is the info on how to configure the profile correctly?

I am 100% sure that the profile is where the mistake is. I can manually copy the files (MP4) over and play them in MM, but sync is available, so why not use it and carry all the tags over too?

So, an anybody help me configure the Device Profile Supported Formats? Note I have not stepped up to Gold yet, so Autoconvert is not an option. Of course I am assuming that the Supported Formats list is used. The Video section didn't change at all, even though I selected each line in the drop-down list.

David
KiwiBanjo

Post by KiwiBanjo »

OK, me again.

I have my sync working now! But it took a blunt instrument approach to get there. After my previous post, I went back into the Portable Device Profile, wondering if there wasn't a way to specify what types you wanted, rather than use one of the entries in the list box.

Well, lo and behold, there is! Hidden in plain sight at the bottom of the list is an entry under Auto Conversion / Supported Formats on Device / Set Formats and scroll to the bottom is <add supported Format>. Now here is where the experts will shake their heads and roll there eyes - I ticked everything in sight and made up wide ranges of bit rates and frame rates, saved one for Audio and one for Video, selected them so that they displayed in the Supported Formats on Device frame.

Then back out and hit Auto Sync, and it all worked!

But I do feel that I should really take some advice and trim down on the formats that I have selected. I mostly use MP4 videos with a few WMV, flv and mp2. Audios are mainly mp3, but could really be anything at all.

So what is the best recommendation?

Thanks, ...David