MM Sync with USB hard drive for Volkswagen MDI

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

James Blonde

MM Sync with USB hard drive for Volkswagen MDI

Post by James Blonde »

I've got a 160Gb hard drive that I'm using as my media device in my Volkswagen car, connected via the USB MDI interface.

Until yesterday, I'd been using the "Send To" command to send 4*-5* rated songs to the device, however because it sends only the files to the device root folder, rather than files within folders, I understand that restrictions on the Volkswagen interface mean that it'll only see the first (500?) files in a folder. The outcome was that whilst I had my whole media collection on the hard drive, the stereo was only seeing songs from A to E, ignoring most of the library!

So I set up a sync yesterday, which obviously copies folders as well as files. This appeared to work, and seemed to play songs from the whole library, however when I tried to "Mix All" and play a random selection, the songs started jumping - it seems the MDI can't handle shuffle on large folder based libraries. I really don't want to play on anything other than mix / shuffle, as there are a ton of duplicates in the library I haven't got around to fixing yet.

has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?

Alternatively, is there any way I can get a half way house using MediaMonkey? Can I automatically sync files into folders of around 500 files, so basically making the most efficient use of files and folders? I'd love help on this quite urgently, as I've got a long drive on Sunday and will be away from my master library for 2 weeks!
Lowlander

Re: MM Sync with USB hard drive for Volkswagen MDI

Post by Lowlander »

I'd sync only 500 random files in this scenario and do the sync regularly. This way you get the random mix you seek on playback while avoiding troubles with the cars limitations.

Alternatively you could sync several 500 files random sorted AutoPlaylists to the drive using <Playlist>\ to create a folder per Playlist if you wish to sync less often.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

OK, so a bit more info...

The stereo can apparently handle large libraries if playing normal / sequentially, however if you choose to mix / shuffle, then the mix is limited to a total of 2048 files, with a maximum folder size of 512 files, which I guess is what I effectively had when all the files were in the root folder, and it would only play up to E.

Yes, I do understand that 512 files is likely to be 25-40 hours of music, which has got to be enough for anyone, but I want more! :P If I can get it anyway... It seems a shame not to be able to use the whole library. (and a bit pathetic of Volkswagen to set such pitiful limits on their stereo - my ancient phone could do better!)

So I guess what I need is a way of writing 80Gb worth of music files to the hard drive in a random order, whether in folders or not, meaning I don't have to use mix. Possible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It may be a challenge. One way to go it multiple AutoPlaylists with <Playlist> folder.

I also presume you could use a mask like <Random:1>\<Random> - <Artist> - <Title> or <Random:2>\<Random> - <Artist> - <Title> where the first would give you 10 folders and the second a 100 folders with random files in them.