Sync problem with Galaxy S6

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

mpdemos

Sync problem with Galaxy S6

Post by mpdemos »

I have a galaxy s6 edge and I have found 2 sync problems to report. Problem number 1: Only a random number of files sync using the USB cable. Problem number 2: Over Wifi, all files sync but recently incorrect track numbers were added. Several songs have track numbers in the 100s for example the first track on an album is 101 and the second is 102, ect. Another problem I have noted is that mediamonkey for android does not allow you to edit track numbers on the phone. Thank you to all who can help with these problems.
mpdemos

Re: Sync problem with Galaxy S6

Post by mpdemos »

I just updated to beta version of MM for android and now wifi syncing no longer works but the USB syncing does. Still track numbers in the 100s are present on a random number of tracks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMA and MMW are you running?
cdhinch

Post by cdhinch »

This problem also exist on the Galaxy S6 (non-edge). I haven't tried the latest beta version yet, but I'll download it and see if the problem is still there.

EDIT: I just tried the latest beta version and the problem still exist.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Problem with Track Number should be solved by tagging from filename it using "<Disk #:1><Track #:2>" mask at the right position to tag Both Disk and Track number. You can see the results in table below tag mask.

For Sync Issues can both of you clear something for me:
1. Are you syncing to External storage (SD Card) Only when using USB Sync
2. If you copy Files over Windows explorer to SD Card does it also return file can't be saved (No matter what files you copy and what is desination folder on SD Card) You just need to Fill the Card to full and also try to copy large files >2GB. It doesnt matter if phone can play them or not as we need to determine if file system or USB driver is OK
3 .Are you using USB2.0 or USB3.0 port on PC
4. When do Wi-Fi Sync is destination folder same as when using USB Sync
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cdhinch

Post by cdhinch »

Here is the additional information that you requested:

1. The Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge only has Internal storage. There is not a slot for an additional SD card. Also, both phones are identical except for the the display.
2. Drag and drop using Windows Explorer works fine, except for the occasional file name being too long. Also, files greater than 2GB transfer fine using Windows Explorer.
3. I have tried using both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports on my computer with the same results.
4. The destination folder is the same for both USB sync and Wifi sync.

MTP appears to be working fine in Windows Explorer.

After realizing that some file names are too long I made a change to the filename mask in MMW. Once that change was made USB sync appears to work again. All I did was add the $Left parameter to only return the first 20 characters of the Artist and Title of the track.

I tried two different masks from the default one and they both seem to work.
The first one I tried was \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> $Left(<Artist>,20) - $Left(<Title>,20)
The second one I tried was \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - <Title>
Peke

Post by Peke »

Aha, damn 255 char limit :( that explains a lot.

THX I'll investigate further.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mpdemos

Post by mpdemos »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MMA and MMW are you running?
I am using 4.1.7.1741 MMW and 1.1.2.0416 beta for MMA.
I have USB 3.0 ports. I do not know where to find destination folder. The files appear on the S6 in the Music folder of the phone correctly placed with album subfolders. My music is tagged correctly in MMW, the track numbers are accurate there. They simply change into the 100s once transferred to MMA which wouldn't be a big deal since the order stays the same. ie track 2 becomes track 102 I guess reflecting that this is the first disc of the album. The problem is that only a random number of tracks have these numbers in the 100s so the order becomes changed.
cdhinch

Post by cdhinch »

Try this to see if it solves your problem. In MMW go Tools -> Options -> Portable Device Sync, and then click the one for your device and then click Configure.
Click the Options tab then File Locations. In the field for Music put this: \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - $Left(<Artist>,20) - <Title>

That is what I'm using for my Galaxy S6. It solves the problem of the 255 character limit that can cause USB sync to fail.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cdhinch wrote:Try this to see if it solves your problem. In MMW go Tools -> Options -> Portable Device Sync, and then click the one for your device and then click Configure.
Click the Options tab then File Locations. In the field for Music put this: \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - $Left(<Artist>,20) - <Title>

That is what I'm using for my Galaxy S6. It solves the problem of the 255 character limit that can cause USB sync to fail.
Better to use something like:
\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - $Trim($Left(<Artist>,20)) - <Title>

Use of $Trim() will eliminate spaces from the beginning/end of the string. If you just use $Left(<Artist) and an artist name is less than 20 characters it will pad the artist name with spaces until it hits 20 characters. Best also to apply something like this to the title field as well, some track titles can be very long also.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

$Left() doesn't pad missing characters if value is shorter. So $trim() is unnecessary.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Lowlander wrote:$Left() doesn't pad missing characters if value is shorter. So $trim() is unnecessary.
My mistake I was thinking of:

\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - $Trim(<Artist>,20) - <Title>
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, in that case you'll need it as that will pad to the set character amount.