iPhone sync fails with error message

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

rabiatorDLX

iPhone sync fails with error message

Post by rabiatorDLX »

Hey MM-Gurus!

I try to sync my whole library (about 9000 songs) from MM to my iPhone 6, 128 GB, iOS 8.3 for weeks but it always fails. The full sync stops randomly, sometimes at 7000+ songs, sometimes at 500. The error messages are not always the same but similar and always related to MediaMonkay64Helper.exe. The most recent one was:

Exception EAssertionFailed in module MediaMonkey64Helper.exe at 000000000014BB59.
Unknown function: AFCFileRefClose (C:\projects\Plugins\Devices\d_iPod\x64Helper\x64Caller.pas, line 338)

Sometimes even my iPhone seems to restart on sync failure, as it calls for PIN with the information that this "is required after a restart" or something. :-?

I got it working once by splitting up the whole lib in several playlists, each having less than 3000 songs, and syncing just these playlists one after the other (not the whole lib at once). That worked one time. But I would like to sync the whole lib at once and not in steps with dumb playlists I do not need...

I tried several things to analyse or fix the problem: it shows up on two machines (desktop@win7x64 and notebook@win81x64). I tried to empty the iTunes_Control folder on my phone. I tried differnet MM versions. All to no avail. And I am now heading for a debug log for the problem:

With a MM default install I could not get any abnormal information in the debug view. It simply stops with

Code: Select all

iPhone: Got Device Grappa Data (Length: 83)
At the moment I'm running a sync with the MM debug version, but It takes so long that I doubt to run into the problem in the next hours. It just synched 75 files in 15 minutes... that would take really long for 9000 or any prior error case.

I would appreciate any hints to get to the root cause of the problem...

Thx a lot,
Frank
nohitter151

Re: iPhone sync fails with error message

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rabiatorDLX

Post by rabiatorDLX »

I stopped the ultra-slow sync with the debug version and tried again the playlist-sync method, as I would like to get my phone readily filled today.

It successfully synched the first playlist containing 2247 songs. Also the second playlist with another 2915 songs worked. After that I started the last playlist with 3833 songs: it stopped at song 337 with the following error message window:

Exception EAssertionFailed in module MediaMonkey64Helper.exe at 0...014BB59.
Unknown function: AMDServiceConnectionReceive (C:\projects\Plugins\Devices\d_iPod\x64Helper\x64Caller.pas, line 338).

BTW: There is no C:\projects folder at my installation...

After the error the sync status remains unchanged at "copying song 337" without any progress. Trying to cancel the sync also has no effect. The "Music"-Folder on my phone shows the correct number of 5498 files that have been copied until the error occured...

Again after some clicking in MM's iPhone folders, MM hangs and could only be killed by task manager/system.

@nohitter151: Thx! I will try the 4.1.8 beta now...
kesterr

Post by kesterr »

Glad to see this post. I have been struggling with the same problem for the past several months.

I try to sync a small playlist (100-200 tracks) and it works just fine.
I try to sync a much larger playlist (about 26,000 tracks) and it fails at some point. The failure may come after a few hundred tracks, or after several thousand (and several hours). The Exception EAssertionFailed... line is always the same. The location varies. The Unknown function may be one of several values:

Errors from versions before 1744
- AFCFileRefClote
- AMDeviceConnect
Errors from version 1744
- AFCFileRefClose
- AMDeviceDisconnect
- AFCDeviceInfoOpen
- AFCFileRefWrite
- AFCRerviceConnectionReceive
- AFCFileRefClite
- FileExists
As described above, the sync progress stops on a track. I can right-click on the progress bar and select Terminate, but that does not have any effect. I can close MediaMonkey, but it does not completely close. The only way to stop the program is by killing the process manually.

I installed the 1744 debug version and tried the sync. When it failed, I was not asked to generate a bug report. I found the MediaMonkey (non-skinned).elf file under C:\Users\... However the file was generated several days ago, when I did NOT have a debug version installed.

When the failure happens, the tracks I was syncing are "lost" as far as MediaMonkey is concerned. Right now, my phone sees 1196 songs. MediaMonkey sees 155. iTunes shows 1144 songs in the Summary bar, but only 155 appear in the On my Device - Music selection. I did a successful sync of the 155 songs. Then I tried a much larger sync which failed after just over 1000 tracks.

I now have to clean off the music with iTunes. I can sync and re-sync several times to get rid of all tracks. Then I can sync my small playlist with MediaMonkey. Next I will sync the larger playlist, but I will interrupt the process after about 1500 tracks. The tracks synced without a failure are not lost. However, it takes a lot longer to get through a large number of tracks because I have to keep stopping and restarting the process. At some point, the sync process usually fails and I have more “lost” tracks.

I am using an iPhone 6+, 128 GB. It is running iOS 8.1.2, jailbroken. I am running Windows 7 64-bit, fully patched.

I was able to capture a debug log using DbgView. This time it failed after about 8,000 files, so the log file is large. I capture the iTunes folder from the phone. I also uploaded the debug log file. All of the files are at the link below.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture it with build 1747: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 39#p409239

Then open a support ticket and attach your debug log.
tdavey

Post by tdavey »

I am having this exact problem, including this:
rabiatorDLX wrote:Exception EAssertionFailed in module MediaMonkey64Helper.exe at 0...014BB59.
Unknown function: AMDServiceConnectionReceive (C:\projects\Plugins\Devices\d_iPod\x64Helper\x64Caller.pas, line 338).
After this error dialog appears, MediaMonkey will not behave normally again until I reboot Windows 7 x64. I also had one crash that referenced an iTunes .dll, but usually it's MediaMonkey64Helper.exe.

I'm a relatively new MediaMonkey customer (Gold) and have spent many hours in the last week struggling with this issue. MediaMonkey cannot auto-sync reliably.

Tom Davey
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and iOS?
tdavey

Post by tdavey »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MediaMonkey and iOS?
Hello Lowlander,

Thanks for the reply. The version numbers are:

1. MediaMonkey 4.1.7.1741
2. iOS 7.1.2 (11D257)
4. 64GB iPhone 4s
3. Windows 7x64 (6.12.7601)

I see now that the problem is not confined to Auto-Sync, but occurs for me with manual syncing as well. However, I cannot predict when the crash will occur. The crashes became more frequent, it seems to me, as the iPhone's storage grew full (< 5 GB free).

Regards,
Tom Davey
============================
Tom Davey
New York NY USA
Classical music lover
See my list of desert island discs at http://www.tomdavey.com
nebbiag

Post by nebbiag »

I'm having the same problem. Here's my configuration:
-Windows 8.1 64 bit
-Ipod Touch 64 g IOS 8.3
-MM 4.1.8.1747

I've even done a clean install of MM and did a complete reset on the Ipod to no avail.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send a debug log (step 4b) with the latest 4.1.8 release from the Beta forum to support capturing the sync problems: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341

Post by Guest »

I have continued to fight with this, with no luck so far. I did submit a ticket (YAU-561-75820) and supporting files.
I have upgraded to the 1748 RC Debug version. Since I have been using the debug version, I have not gotten the original error message. I still get plenty of crashes and I have not been successful at syncing. I don't know if the debug version handles the underlying issue differently, or if the newer version does not have the same sync problem.

In any case, the sync runs for a while and looks good. At some point, MediaMonkey crashes. Sometimes it corrupts the phone, sometimes I can continue the sync. I was never able to sync all of the files I intended to sync. I also noticed that the transfer rate would start as high as 50 tracks/minute and it would degrade. It could get as low as 4 tracks/minute. At those times I terminated the sync and restarted it. That jumped the rate back up again.

I upgraded my phone to iOS 8.3. That has made things much worse. Now, the phone turns off during the sync process. It has happened 3 or 4 times, and only during a sync with MediaMonkey. It never randomly reboots when I am not syncing, and this never happened before the iOS update. Sometimes I can simply resume the sync. Sometimes the phone is corrupted and I have to start over. Several times the computer locked up to the point where I had to kill the power.

I still like the interface, but the sync function is not working for me. Hopefully that will change in time.
rctechy4

Post by rctechy4 »

I am having the same issue. There was once a member (Peke) who had a way on how to fix this. I cant find that link now. It was Peke from memory
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
All documented fixes in remote sessions are included in newer version of MMW. Well unless it was personal fix due single PC issue which do not qualify as MMW bug.

Openning support ticket and supplying Debug logs always give us enough starting point to determine the cause of issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts