Music Deleted from Library During Sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

allbenatt

Music Deleted from Library During Sync

Post by allbenatt »

Thousands of files were deleted from my Library as I attempted a USB sync to my older Android device. Relevant info:
  • PC running Windows XP Pro
    Library resides on a 500GB external drive connected to PC via USB
    Using MediaMonkey 4.1.7
    Android device is HTC Thunderbolt (circa 2011) and is connected to PC via USB
    Configured as a Mass Storage Device when connected to PC
I found the device to be recognized by MMW and available to sync. I configured it to sync playlists only - about 7 of them.
While configuring, I saw checkbox to "delete other files and playlists from the device" and left it unchecked.

I initiated an auto-sync. Halfway through the first track, sync froze. A dialog box came up in Windows XP saying that files in H:\Music\etc could not be saved. I assumed this meant it could not be saved in RAM but later learned that thousands of files had disappeared from the library residing on the external drive.

I do have the files backed up on another external HDD which resides on my home network but those files don't have the star ratings I assigned to the tracks nor do they reflect changes I made to genre classifications on some files.

I'd like to prevent this happening again. Can anyone tell me what may have happened and how to avoid it?
Lowlander

Re: Music Deleted from Library During Sync

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can't (no setting to enable so) delete files from Library (PC) during sync. Is your device or the external drive, drive H?
allbenatt

Re: Music Deleted from Library During Sync

Post by allbenatt »

Lowlander, I appreciate your quick reply and follow-up question.

It turns out that I was able to see the files after changing some configuration settings on my PC that had to do with managing page files in Windows. I'm guessing that the size of the sync and music files involved was too much for the system given the settings I had in place. After changing the settings and rebooting, the files reappeared.

I would be happy to delete my original post - if you are a moderator, please do so. The reason I'm not doing it at this stage is I wanted you to know the outcome before deleting the thread

Thanks again.