Can I sync a NWZ A-17?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jd950

Can I sync a NWZ A-17?

Post by jd950 »

I apologize if the answer is already on here somewhere. I searched with no success. I have an older Sony mp3 player that syncs just fine with MM, but it does not have sufficient space for me now. I am considering getting the NWZ a-17 but will only get it if I can sync it with MM without having to go through a bunch of hoops like renaming files, etc. I really want a simple connect it and sync it device like I have now. I downloaded media go to see if I could use it and basically, no.

So, can anyone tell me if I can simply connect the a17 to media monkey and have it sync music, playlists, album art and so on, just like my android phone and current walkman do?

Thanks.
sglancy

Re: Can I sync a NWZ A-17?

Post by sglancy »

Did you end up buying an NWZ-A17? Does it interface well with MediaMonkey?

I am also considering buying one of those or a similar Sony Walkman, and ease of synchronization is very important to me. I manage a lot of podcasts and playlists, which I like to update daily, so I am looking for a high capacity MP3 player with a good user interface and synchronization to replace my 10 year old iPod Classic.
RzmmDX

Post by RzmmDX »

It syncs.
Just don't expect much regarding metadata.
Never did anything with podcasts.
sglancy

Post by sglancy »

To replace my iPod Classic that, after 12 years of service, has developed some kind of power-management problem in its logic board, I bought a Walkman NWZ-A17, and I can confirm that it does sync. The USB connection is reliable. The Walkman only transfers files, so no metadata like play statistics are transferred. The Walkman has 64 GB of internal storage, and it can accept a microSD card. However the two are quite separate. You must choose to sync either the internal memory or the SD card at any time. Playlists in one location can't refer to songs in the other location. The first time I plugged it in, MediaMonkey identified it as an iPod, but after restarting MediaMonkey, it correctly identifies it as a Walkman, and I can then use all of the sync options.

One annoyance is that the Walkman can't handle playlists that contain podcasts. If you put podcasts in the Podcast directory, and then ask the Walkman to play the playlist, it will give an error message. A partial work-around is to put all of the podcasts in the Music directory. Then it can play the podcast playlist, but it will treat the podcasts exactly like music. For example, it won't remember the point at which you stopped listening to the podcasts. If you put the podcasts in the Podcast directory, the Walkman always sorts them alphabetically (rather than by date, which would be my preference).

Other irritations: It does not stop playing when you take out the headphones. It has a proprietary USB connector. It cannot respond to the buttons on my headphones. Sony provides its own music management and sync software, called Media Go. It is terrible, and does not solve any of the above problems (except maybe sync of metadata; I did not check that).

So, I decided to return the Walkman and buy a refurbished iPod Classic.