Windows 10 Mobile Insider Builds and Device Recognition

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dashrendar

Windows 10 Mobile Insider Builds and Device Recognition

Post by dashrendar »

Dear MediaMonkey developers and users,

I currently have a Lumia 950, which is a Windows 10 Mobile. I am also a registered Windows Insider. This means that I get monthly OS updates of Release Candidate software before it gets released to production. I am also looking forward to a big update coming end of July/ beginning of August, which is Windows 10 Redstone.

Normally, MediaMonkey syncs songs and playlists perfectly fine with my device. I have thousands of tracks on my NAS and I have about 5000+ songs and 10 playlists that sync to my phone.

The main gripe is every time I get a new update installed on my phone, MediaMonkey thinks I got a new device and I have to start all over again, which takes many hours of work every month. I have to re-select the songs and playlists, configure the audio conversion settings and the target filename conventions, etc. It's just tedious and I know it's not supposed to be like that.

How does MediaMonkey recognize and remember a device? Is there a specific ID? Is there a way to override this and tell MediaMonkey that this is the same exact device and use the new ID for the existing device configuration. I am assuming here that MediaMonkey records some sort of identifier from the phone or the storage. Is there a way to manually map a configuration to a device?

Keep in mind that I am not resetting my phone every month. The OS updates preserve all my apps and data on my phone and SD Card. I used to have a similar issue when I used to have an Android phone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I love MediaMonkey and I hate to see it hinder me like that.
dtsig

Re: Windows 10 Mobile Insider Builds and Device Recognition

Post by dtsig »

I have had this happen on my android device (as you mentioned). All i had to do is go into MMW and tell it the new device was ok to sync to and set the playlist(s) to that new device. Then sync worked as expected.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Hi dtsig,

That would work for me as well--you're basically starting from scratch.

However, it's extremely problematic when you have to configure more than just playlists. It is time consuming if I want to select all the different artists/albums one by one, plus other options. Also, I cannot guarantee whether it's going to delete the existing content or add duplicates.
dashrendar

Post by dashrendar »

Does anyone know if 4.1.14.1813 fixes the issue that I describe in my original post?

The closest bug fix to my issue that I saw is:
0012997 4.1.10 1804 4.1.14 19 [MediaMonkey (current)] Synchronization major closed 2016-08-09 USB Sync do not get correct Storage names

Does this cover sync using d_WMDM.dll?