Media Monkey not providng typical Synchronization

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Intruderscooter

Media Monkey not providng typical Synchronization

Post by Intruderscooter »

I consider myself computer savvy but this one has me stumped. I am using the "free" version of MM and have a Dell DJ20 device. Regardless of settings within Media Monkey. when I synchronize to the Dell, it will upload all music files whether they already exist on my Dell device or not. And, if I make a change to a file on MM and then synchronize, again, it will upload all music files as opposed to JUST THOSE FILES that are new or recently edited. I typically think of synchronization as I would on my Palm Pilot, only the changed or new files are uploaded from the pc to the PP. Why won't Media Monkey synchronize this way, or am I overlooking some setting? Or, do I have to buy the Gold version to get true synchronization? I am disappointed that I have to either dump all of my songs off of the Dell and start from schratch (4 hours), or I have to accept duplicate files existing on my Dell. I just want to synch changed or new files and leave all other files untouched. iTunes does this without any difficulty or mystery whatsoever. Please Help!

Thanks - Scott
Scott Sanders
Danners

Post by Danners »

I'm having exactly the same problem, I'm using an ipod 4g, and everytime I sync, whether it's my entire collection or just selected folders, MM will upload all songs regardless, and because the ipod uses a seemingly random directory structure, it duplicates the files.
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can try to e-mail a debug log to us with as many details as possible. This really should work fine, so there must be some explanation why it doesn't for you...

Jiri
Danners

Post by Danners »

ok I'll get the info emailed to you asap, I'll run it with 1 artist in my library on a formatted ipod.
Danners

Post by Danners »

well, just tried the debug version and it's not producing the same error that the normal version is, it seems to be working fine. however, while doing some testing with 1 album, I renamed one of the titles and resynced the ipod, and it copied the modified track onto the ipod, but didn't delete the old one. Is there any way I can get it to replace the old track with the modified one?
Danners

Post by Danners »

everything is good now! Just had to check "delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list" and "update database based on all track changes" in the device profile.

I think they should be made default settings.

Cheers for the app btw! :D
Intruderscooter

Where can I get this Debugged Version?

Post by Intruderscooter »

I cannot select the options you are rederring to in the Device profile. Although not grayed out, they simply will not accept any selection. Where did you get the Debugged version that seems to have fixed this synchronization issue?

Scott Sanders
Scott Sanders

Post by Guest »

The debug app didn't fix it as such, after reinstalling the normal app afterwards with the settings I described above it seemed to work fine, so maybe you should try reinstalling MM first.

Never the less, here is the debug version (http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/MediaMonkey_Debug.exe)