Problems with Ipod after sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

mrmichaelwright

Problems with Ipod after sync

Post by mrmichaelwright »

So I've purchased media monkey as an alternative to itunes to sync my ipod classic 160Gb after the dreaded 'failed to convert' errors.

I have a large (16000+ tracks) library of mostly ALAC files and as a result rely on re-encoding files to a smaller format to fit them on the device. I convert all files over 256Kbps to 190Kbps VBR mp3.

Since using media monkey my ipod crashes when connected to my car (Mercedes Benz command system). I can play 4 or 5 tracks and then i get a 'media not connected' warning, the ipod reconnects after 4-5 seconds and starts playing again. This did not occur before using media monkey. I am also missing about 20% of album art, again this was not the case when using itunes. I reset the ipod to default using itunes before syncing with media monkey.

Any help?
Lowlander

Re: Problems with Ipod after sync

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey is used to sync?
mrmichaelwright

hi

Sorry for the delay in replying

version 4.1.14.1813 MediaMonkey Gold

PC X64 Windows 10

There are less frequent problems if i choose a shorter playlist or a single album
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a fix in the latest beta of MediaMonkey that deals with large amounts of files on the iPod. It is possible that it fixes this problem too.
mrmichaelwright

great, I will download the Beta and see how it goes
mrmichaelwright

Unfortunately with release 4.15.1824 the ipod will not sync at all. After 'preparing file list' the sync appears completed but the capacity bar still says 'To Sync: 101.9GB' Nothing else happens and the ipod remains empty.
mrmichaelwright

I've gone for 4.1.15.1823 and it seems to be syncing now
mrmichaelwright

No, still not working
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture a debug log (step 4b) with the latest beta and attach the log to a support ticker: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Are you sure that there is a difference between 4.1.15.1823 and 1824?
There doesn't seem to be any change between these two builds that could have an impact on iPod Classic sync.
Could you please retest with 1824 and generate log (in case of an issue).

Thanks!
mrmichaelwright

Using the debug version I generated a log from the moment I plugged the ipod in to the point at which MM spat out a load of access violation messages. I clicked ok to all these messages and the transfer then stops.

After this i cannot eject the ipod or exit MM without ending the process through task manager.

The log then shows this
[15140] MM4 [1768] Device Mike’s iPod: Waiting for SyncronizeDevice thread to terminate
continuously

The Log can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/do5jzvilbcckc ... 2.LOG?dl=0
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thank you, I've received also your submitted crash logs and I see two kind of errors:

1) Cannot open file "G:\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
=>
This can be caused by leftover of iTunes or MediaMonkey process (because of a previous crash), so please before the further tests ensure that all MediaMonkey.exe and iTunes.exe processes are killed (not running).

2) Access violation at address 77AE91AE in module 'ntdll.dll'.
The last callstack is in EncodeMP3File

In the log I see that the last files were encoded:
D:\Media\Music\Caribou\Swim\02 Sun.m4a
D:\Media\Music\Caribou\Our Love\02 Silver.m4a
D:\Media\Music\Caribou\Andorra\04 She's the One.m4a
D:\Media\Music\Caribou\Our Love\06 Second Chance.m4a

Could you please try to find which one of these files causes the crash?
i.e. right-click the file > Send to > Mike's iPod
If it is one of those, could you please share the file for analyzing/fix ?
mrmichaelwright

I transferred these 4 files successfully sp the problem does not seem to be within these files

The ipod still says 'no music' though
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

iPod says "no music" because it reads the content from the iPod database file:
G:\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB
that was locked by a process and MM couldn't write the new content there (based on the previous logs).

Not sure what happened to the iTunesDB file , but you may want to try to restore the iPod in iTunes which should re-new the iTunesDB file and it should be syncable again.
It is also possible that iTunesDB is still locked by a process -- you can ensure by trying to rename (or temporarily move the file),
if it is not movable then it is probably still locked and you could use this http://superuser.com/questions/117902/f ... in-windows to find which process has lock on the file.
mrmichaelwright

the only processes appearing to be using both the ipod database file and f_aac_codec.dll are 'MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe