Syncronizing music

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MusicKing

Syncronizing music

Post by MusicKing »

Hey all,

I was searching for the right forum index for this questions but I couldn't find it so I'm going to try this with a new topic:

Two questions,

1. When starting MM, you have the option to make playlists any way you like. Just go to the folders on your computer where the music is stored, click and drag, etc and that's basically it.

BUT if your music is already neatly arranged in folders, why would I still need to make playlists if I also can sync those folders directly to e.g. an Ipod? IMO, syncronizing directly from a folder on your HD is easier to maintain (for example when new downloaded songs are added in that folder) than managing a playlist (to add downloaded songs in a playlist requires me to go to MM --> computer folder --> add new song from computer folder to playlist, right?). But if I'm wrong and things can be way more easier to manage, please let me know.

2. When I've got different folders with music on my HD, and I want them to use them on a USB stick for my car (VW) audio system, MM adds the files in a very strange way so that the car doesn't recognize the songnames properly anymore. Adding the folders manually on that stick keeps the folders like 'Different artists - Smooth Jazz Chill Out Lounge' and the songs like '00 Artist - Songname'. I don't want the 'Different artists' phrase and the '00' numbers. What can I do to turn that off?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Syncronizing music

Post by Lowlander »

1) Which is why MediaMonkey has many ways to select files for sync. This is done in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync). You can select Playlists, Artists, Albums, Genres, Folders and/or whole Collections.

2) You set how MediaMonkey should sync files in the Device Profile using Masks: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Thank you for the quick response Lowlander, I will try this as soon as I have more time
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote:1) Which is why MediaMonkey has many ways to select files for sync. This is done in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync). You can select Playlists, Artists, Albums, Genres, Folders and/or whole Collections.

2) You set how MediaMonkey should sync files in the Device Profile using Masks: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0
Coming back to point 2, when a song is on my HD under: D:\My documents\Music\Rock\Single tracks, you can select the option <FOLDER> to show the folder location on the portable device. But is there a way to only show the last folder 'Single tracks' instead of the entire location?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

<Folder:-n> This will recreate only the last n folders in a source path. This is very useful when it is known that the source directory is homogeneously structured.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote:
<Folder:-n> This will recreate only the last n folders in a source path. This is very useful when it is known that the source directory is homogeneously structured.
Thanks, but where would I've found that answer if I didn't ask you?

Two more questions:

1. My car only supports around 300 songs per folder but on one of my folders are around 2000 loose songs. Is there a way to divide the songs over different folders for that USB stick or do I have to split them on my HD?

2. I've downloaded the payed version of MM for my android phone to put some songs on my SD card but I haven't used it yet. What is the best approach to get this done properly?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In the link of my initial response.

1) Not directly as you don't have filecount as criteria, but you can create some form of subfolder system.

2) http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... oid_device
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote:In the link of my initial response.

1) Not directly as you don't have filecount as criteria, but you can create some form of subfolder system.

2) http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... oid_device
Can you please give me a simple example of point 1?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll have find something that works for you as you can't work with files in folder count. Maybe something like <Artist@9> as sub-folder.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote:You'll find anything that works for you as you can't work with files in folder count. Maybe something like <Artist@9> as sub-folder.
1. I've transferred music from the HD library to the USB stick and that's working great, but I still can't sync (smart) playlists to the USB. A folder is created as 'Q:\Playlists' and there are the playlists put as .m3u files. How can I solve this?

2. For the Ipod Classic 160 GB it's the opposite, I can only sync playlists to it, not music from the HD library (already put in folders)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That would be a Playlist file. They're stored as M3U. You'll need to use \<Playlist>\ in the files destination mask.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote:That would be a Playlist file. They're stored as M3U. You'll need to use \<Playlist>\ in the files destination mask.
Ok, but for point 2: Can I only sync playlists to an Ipod or is there also a possibility of adding music directly from the HD library?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you select a Playlist for sync, it and the media files it references should be synced.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

When I start MMA is first setup the destination folder for the music etc. I've created a map called Mediamonkey on the SD card and after the phone painfully sync's with the computer, I puts the music in a folder called 'Music' straight under the SD card. So MMA knows where to look but MMW doesn't. What am I forgetting or doing wrong?

Before you refer me to different pages on the forum, I've allready looked in:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=78924

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=83710

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=71668

Maybe MM should write a full manual on how to use MMW and MMA, since a lot of people on the forum are getting stranded with countless problems
MusicKing

Set specific folder for auto sync

Post by MusicKing »

nohitter151 wrote:Sure, create a new collection that references the folder you want to sync.
And if you have a SD card in your phone, are using MMA and set it to look at a new made folder called Mediamonkey, why is MMW still putting music directly on the SD card instead in the Mediamonkey folder, what should I do then?