MediaMonkey stealing auto-play for iPhone [#13654]

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MarineBrat

MediaMonkey stealing auto-play for iPhone [#13654]

Post by MarineBrat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:51 pm

I have a Windows 7 machine, and iPhone 6 running IOS 10.2.1. This machine has never had iTunes installed, and I have never used it to sync.

The other day I updated MediaMonkey from 4.1.14 to 4.1.15 and since then it automatically runs whenever I plugin my iPhone. When it auto-runs it then complains that I need to install iTunes to sync.

So of course I go to [Control Panel\Auto-Play] and see that there are two Apple iPhone devices listed (not sure why there's two). One is set to MediaMonkey and the other set to "Choose a default"

I change the MediaMonkey one to "Ask Me Every Time" and then plugin my phone. MediaMonkey still starts up and wants to sync the phone. And when I look back in the Auto-Play settings I see that MediaMonkey has put itself back into the iPhone Auto-Play slot.

I close MediaMonkey, reset auto-play back to Ask Me Every Time. Close auto-play, restart auto-play and confirm it still says "Ask Me Every Time". Close auto-play and reboot. Upon restart I check auto-play and confirm it says to "Ask Me Every Time". Plugin the phone and here comes MediaMonkey again. And once again it puts itself in the auto-play for the iPhone.

For years my computer has asked me what to do when I plugin the iPhone, to which I invariably answer that I wish to copy photos and videos to the PC.

I go to [tools/options/Portable devices Sync] and configure iPhone. Uncheck "Scan as soon as the device is connected" (which was checked) and "auto-sync as soon as the device is connected" (which was not checked) and try it all over again. No change in behavior.

I go back to [tools/optionsw/Portable devices Sync and configure iPhone] and confirm that they have not been re-checked. Go through the motions again and it's still auto-starting when I plugin my iPhone.

Any ideas?

Peke

Re: MediaMonkey 4.1.15 stealing auto-play for iPhone

Post by Peke » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:29 pm

When you connect iPhone copy paste "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay" into Windows explorer address bar and after AutoPlay window gets opened scroll down to your iPhone and set default behavior on Connection.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am

Peke wrote:When you connect iPhone copy paste "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay" into Windows explorer address bar and after AutoPlay window gets opened scroll down to your iPhone and set default behavior on Connection.
That is one of the steps I noted in my message above. MediaMonkey still auto-starts and then puts itself back in as the default action.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi,
MMW should not have control over that, especially if you ensured that all MMW processes is closed(kill them from task manager if needed), default action is changed and saved.

In which case only some other system setting forces MMW.

Last resort would be to uninstall MMW (beware to preserve MM.DB) and install it as portable (while copy backup MM.DB to Portable folder of MMW installation)
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 am

Yes, it is Windows issue. The issue is that if there is only single handler (Sync device using MM) then Windows auto-selects the handler without asking what to do, simply because there isn't another option to select.

So workaround is to change it to "Take no action"

Tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13654