Sync Errors

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Fontman

Sync Errors

Post by Fontman »

I'm trying to sync some 4500+ mp3 files to my LG Leon SD card (32G) and auto sync will simply not work--I get a lot of file location errors. If I try to sync individual playlists I'll invariably get a failure to sync error, or the device appears frozen. I have about 54 playlists so it's quite a challenge to keep the device updated. The number of files in the playlists vary from several to about 2900. I'm using the latest version - MediaMonkey_4.1.19.1859.exe
I've tried syncing using windows XP and Windows 7 with the same problems. The phone has the latest updates.
Virtually all of my mp3's have been processed using Audacity in order to maintain a consistent volume, tag data and compilation.
Lowlander

Re: Sync Errors

Post by Lowlander »

Fontman

Post by Fontman »

Tried everything except WiFi, are you suggesting I use WiFi?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I wasn't. However I would suggest it if you can't get USB sync to work. It generally is a MTP driver issue. Wifi (paid feature) bypasses that.
Fontman

Post by Fontman »

I've found what appears to be the problem. For the files that won't copy, the destination folder had some corruption. My target destination is Music | Artist | Album | Title.mp3
This seems to be the most common target destination although MediaMonkey does not adopt this as the default.

I can manually recreate the corrupted destination structure, but sometimes this is not a solution because of the wierd manner in which MTP works. I could write to the SD card directly, but then the players will not recognize the playlists.

Using WiFi won't help reslove the issue of being unable to copy files to a folder that won't accept a file being written to it.

I'n not sure if the problem is being created by MediaMonkey, or if it is an issue with the phone's software/hardware.

I really wish there was a way to create playlists on the device without the laborious process of transferring/checking each file when syncing. For some reason Windows Media Player is significantly faster at syncing than MediaMonkey.

I seem to be one of so many people totally disappointed with MTP. I can't even get (Linux) libmtp to work!

Not sure if this sort of problem is ever going to be fixed until MTP is scattered to the four winds and replaced with something more efficient and easy to implement.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Fontman wrote:I've found what appears to be the problem. For the files that won't copy, the destination folder had some corruption. My target destination is Music | Artist | Album | Title.mp3
This seems to be the most common target destination although MediaMonkey does not adopt this as the default.

I can manually recreate the corrupted destination structure, but sometimes this is not a solution because of the wierd manner in which MTP works. I could write to the SD card directly, but then the players will not recognize the playlists.
I don't understand exactly what you mean. You can set the Destination to be used in the Device Profile. What corruption?
Fontman

Post by Fontman »

Re<< I don't understand exactly what you mean. You can set the Destination to be used in the Device Profile. What corruption? >>

I'm unsure of the exact nature of the corrupted folders, but in their odd state, I was unable to manually copy anything into that folder or its sub-folder. I was able to rename the offending folders and recreate the properly named folders which subsequently allowed me to copy files into the these areas. I then deleted the corrupted folders.

I was adding a comment about what appears to be a rather odd default destination string which appears as:
\Music\<Album Artist> - <Album>\<Track#:2> $Left(<Artist>,20) - <Title>

Surely, even referring to tracks is now outdated and having way too many folders and sub-folders only raises the risk of experiencing some sort of corruption. I realize you can change it and I try to save a simpler device profile for each device which has not always worked, meaning I always have to check the destination prior to any copying or syncing.