Error message: "Please install iTunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey."

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

tdavey

Error message: "Please install iTunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey."

Post by tdavey »

Hello everybody,

MediaMonkey cannot recognize that iTunes is installed on my Windows 10 system. When I start MediaMonkey, it displays the following message:

"An iPhone/iPad/iPod connection was detected. Please install iTunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey."

Except for its inability to sync with my iPhone, MediaMonkey is running well on my new Windows 10 machine. My MediaMonkey Library, mainly consisting of classical music, holds 28,403 files requiring 233.8 GB of disk space.

Details of my PC's environment include:

1. A new Windows 10 computer, with freshly installed and current versions of MediaMonkey (4.1.21) and iTunes for Windows (12.8.0).

2. A iPhone 6s connected via USB, with the current version of iOS (11.4.1).

3. The iPhone is detected correctly by Windows and iTunes. I can sync the iPhone with iTunes, for instance, and browse the iPhone's file system with file manager applications.

What else do I need to do to enable MediaMonkey to recognize that iTunes is installed, so that I can sync music from MediaMonkey?

Many thanks,
Tom Davey
============================
Tom Davey
New York NY USA
Classical music lover
See my list of desert island discs at http://www.tomdavey.com
Lowlander

Re: Error message: "Please install iTunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey."

Post by Lowlander »

Is iTunes installed in the default location or a custom location? Have you tried reinstalling iTunes?
davidhill001

Re: Error message: "Please install iTunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey."

Post by davidhill001 »

I had the same problem, it will probably be because you installed it from the Windows Store as it installs it into a different location.

You must download the .exe installer from apple .com/itunes/download/ instead.
tdavey

Post by tdavey »

Thank you, davidhill001. You are exactly right. I had originally installed iTunes as a Windows 10 "app" from the Microsoft Store.

So I uninstalled the iTunes app, and then re-installed iTunes as a traditional Windows ".exe" program by downloading the installation binary file "iTunes64Setup.exe" directly from Apple. Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks all!
============================
Tom Davey
New York NY USA
Classical music lover
See my list of desert island discs at http://www.tomdavey.com
Dave Watkins

Post by Dave Watkins »

Hi

I have the exact same message on my Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803) 64 bit Lenovo laptop purchased April 2018 :

An iPhone/iPod/iPad connection was detected Please install Tunes in order to sync this device with MediaMonkey

I have tried uninstalling iTunes and going to Apple to download it, but the Apple download section just re-directs me to Microsoft so there is no way I can download direct from Apple.

I am based in the UK so am always take to this Apple site when I search "download itunes from apple direct":

https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave Watkins
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
try to download 32-bit version and uninstall x64
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to use the looking for other versions > Windows section a little lower on the page to get the full desktop version made available for download, instead of the Windows Store version.
MoltresRider

Post by MoltresRider »

I am having the SAME problem as the OP! SAME error message, except I am running Windows 7 so iTunes is definitely NOT installed as a store app! I downloaded the iTunes installer a long time ago and have been using it for Media Monkey sync for over a year. Just today, I started getting that error message despite the fact that iTunes is DEFINITELY installed and NOT as a store app.

So the answer does not apply to my case!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you run iTunes since you saw that error?
rjwerth

Post by rjwerth »

The 32 bit installer will not work on a 64 bit OS. Tells the user to download the 64 bit version.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

64bit version is fine, do make sure you install the full software and not the Windows App version.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I have the exact same scenario as the OP, new Windows 10, iPhone 6s.
I believe I have tried all of the listed fixes and MM still does not recognize me iPhone. I can see it in the Tree, but after I 'send' an album to the phone it says it is synchronizing, but when finished it is not visible on the phone or in the MM 'Apple iPhone' screen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Jim
Peke

Post by Peke »

If iTunes is started (including background) it will block MMW to correctly save synced tracks in iPhone.
Best regards,
Peke
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:10 pm 64bit version is fine, do make sure you install the full software and not the Windows App version.
Just curious - are there any plans to fix this? More and more users expect to download apps from the Windows App Store for ease of use, accessibility, and automatic updates.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I highly doubt. Windows Store applications are written for Windows UWP Platform which is independent and unrelated to Desktop App architecture.

So basically UWP apps are incompatible for interactions with Desktop apps and significant work needs to be done in order to support UWP interaction from/to desktop app. To back to my first few words, I highly doubt that Apple will ever invest money and development time just to support third party apps like MediaMonkey when they can simply say "Use iTunes!"
Best regards,
Peke