Windows to Android FAIL

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

GaryC357

Windows to Android FAIL

Post by GaryC357 »

I bought this software to do two very simple tasks.

Keep my music library organized - which it does well.

Keep my music library PERFECTLY synced between my Windows PC & my Android phone which I understood this software was fully capable of doing & it completely fails at.

If I delete a music track on my phone, I want the same track deleted on my PC.
If I delete a music track on my PC I want it deleted on my Android phone.

Simple right? Apparently not because no matter what settings I use, the PC will ALWAYS copy the Android deleted tracks back to my phone unless I manually delete them on the PC. And if I manually delete them on the PC I still have to manually delete them on my phone.

Also when I delete a track on my phone there should be a GLOBAL option when I hit delete so that the file is just removed. No have to select, remove from now playing, remove from now playing & selected playlist, delete from device....

I've had this software for over a year now & it simply sucks at syncing anything....

Is there anything out there that works???

My friends Apple Phone & ITunes does this task without fail!
Peke

Re: Windows to Android FAIL

Post by Peke »

GaryC357 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:46 pm If I delete a music track on my phone, I want the same track deleted on my PC.
This is not possible, as device is client, not manager. Future MMA versions may include management files thru MediaMonkey Server, but it will be not recommended due the many more issues of automatic deletions. An example I have 120k tracks (RIPPED from 6k+ of CDs past 18 Years [16 in MMW]) in my MMW library spanning across 7TB with statistics of over 14 years and more than 2k of Playlists, 5 devices (from 3 persons) sync to same library on daily basics. Imagine what would happen if my daughter with phone that have 16GB of storage delete all the music she do not like from My MMW Library.
GaryC357 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:46 pm If I delete a music track on my PC I want it deleted on my Android phone.
This option is available if you Edit your Device Profile (Tools -> Options -> Portable Devices -> Configure -> Auto Sync To Device) and select Delete All Media From Device.

Regarding "My friends Apple Phone & ITunes does this task without fail!" I am really glad that they trust Apple that much, but wonder how many devices they own and sync in same time from that single library and how many files they manage?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

It deletes tracks on phone here.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, sync will delete files from device if deleted from MMW (with settings set to delete all media files), but it won't delete files from MMW if deleted from MMA.

The risk of data loss would be too high, even with a confirmation (as proven time and time again). Whereas a MMW Library is stable, this isn't always the case for device Libraries, especially when SD cards are used. This makes the MMA Library untrustworthy thus not a good source to delete files from the main Library (MMW).