Podcast genre on video Ipod

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Zann

Podcast genre on video Ipod

Post by Zann »

I'm trying to figure out how to tag podcasts so that they show up in the podcast listing on the main menu of my video ipod rather then in the music genre list (right now they're all tagged podcast and show up with the other music). These are all audio files. Or is the menu referring to video and you can't get there from here? Would't surprise me if I'm missing something obvious. Thanks much.
Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 »

The only way to get Podcasts to show up in that menu is to download them with iTunes and synch them with iTunes.

AND, even if you do that, if you edit those files with any other program like MediaMonkey, they get hosed in iTunes and revert back to regular files, and lose their bookmark ability.

Don't you just love Apple? :evil:

I gave up trying to get anything to go to the Podcast menu, and just change all my podcasts so that the Genre and the Artist are both "Podcast". This way, you can go to Artist-Podcast, and go to your podcasts by Album. It's very easy.

If you want them to be bookmarkable, change the Genre to "Audiobook" and the artist to Podcast, and it will be automatically bookmarkable if you send them to the ipod through Mediamonkey (and maybe other programs).

It takes a little work, but it's worth it not to have to use that piece of crap known as iTunes.
Zann

Post by Zann »

The only way to get Podcasts to show up in that menu is to download them with iTunes and synch them with iTunes.
I was afraid of that.
AND, even if you do that, if you edit those files with any other program like MediaMonkey, they get hosed in iTunes and revert back to regular files, and lose their bookmark ability.
Thanks for the warning.
Don't you just love Apple?
javascript:emoticon(':P') My ipod is actually my third mp3 player, loved my IRiver but outgrew the 40gb, tried a 60gb Creative Zen that was completely unstable and finally caved and got the iPod. I'm kinda annoyed that you can't shuffle playlists/artists on the fly (know you can shuffle the whole player but that's it, unless I'm missing something again)
I gave up trying to get anything to go to the Podcast menu, and just change all my podcasts so that the Genre and the Artist are both "Podcast". This way, you can go to Artist-Podcast, and go to your podcasts by Album. It's very easy.
That's what I have at the moment, actually it's _Podcasts so it shows up first in the genre list.
If you want them to be bookmarkable, change the Genre to "Audiobook" and the artist to Podcast, and it will be automatically bookmarkable if you send them to the ipod through Mediamonkey (and maybe other programs).
Ah, thank you. I was wondering about the bookmarks thing, I'll have to give that a try.
It takes a little work, but it's worth it not to have to use that piece of crap known as iTunes.
Amen. I can't use iTunes anyway, it breaks my audio recorder program, and I'll do pretty much anything to not have to deal with it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for such a thought out and useful answer, I really appreciate it.
Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 »

Zann wrote:Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for such a thought out and useful answer, I really appreciate it.
Thank YOU for taking the time for such a thought out and useful thank you. :)

Seriously, though, I'm glad I helped. I've been going around and around on this issue for a week, and am just starting to get a grasp of what works, what doesn't, and more reasons why iTunes sucks. :)

MediaMonkey is getting very close to good integration of the bookmarks and such, and I know it's going to keep getting better. This seems to be one of the bigger issues on their radar, especially since it's one of the big things iTunes can do that MM can't at the moment, at least not completely.

I really hope they spend some time on this, and if they can get the bookmark and podcast issues resolved, I'll dump iTunes altogether. In fact, I might dump it anyway. :)

I don't really even care if MM adds support for downloading podcasts, as long as they give good support for monitoring and adding podcasts to the player. I use Juice for downloading, and I'm happy with that.