Varible speed playback

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

OwenSmith731

Varible speed playback

Post by OwenSmith731 »

I was wondering if there is going to be any development of a varible speed playback.

I listen to a lot of speech and a double or triple speed playback would be a great help to listen to loads of dictation.
Peke

Re: Varible speed playback

Post by Peke »

Try one of these http://www.winamp.com/plugins/search/pitch

After install they can be enabled in tools -> Options -> Player -> DSP plugins
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Muad'Dib

Re: Varible speed playback

Post by Muad'Dib »

I'm using MM v3.25.1306 on a Windows XP Pro system, and I just tried all 8 of the plugins listed (Chronotron, PaceMaker, AUdioMaker, Fourier Pitch Tempo Control, AtomixBPM, Slow Me Down, Nullsoft DSP Effects & NT Pitch), I also tried "Take It Easy" recommended on another thread. None of these plugins worked well.

The best of the group, Chronotron (the non-freeware of the group), functioned properly most of the time, but the fidelity of the audio was noticeably poorer than the normal speed playback (even if I only increased the tempo by 5%). If it was free, I might consider using it until I found something better, but at a purchase price of $25 after 15 days, I've already uninstalled it. The other programs either don't work at all, kept crashing, or produced audio quality that is total garbage to listen to.

I know that such adjustments are possible. Using ALShow v1.7.0.3, I can increase the playback speed of several video file formats by up to 20% without noticeably affecting the quality of the audio (unfortunately, newer versions of that program don't increase the playback speed properly, and the publisher (ALTools.com) has ignored bug reports about this problem). And even using my ancient WinDVD v5 from 2002, I can play both DVDs and video files at speeds from 80% to 120% of normal and have the audio sound fine, so I don't understand why someone can't do the same for audio only files on a PC.

Audiobooks are what I listen to most of all, and not having the ability to speed up (or sometimes slow down) their playback is something I truly miss. Hasn't someone discovered a way to adjust the playback speed within MediaMonkey that still produces good quality audio?
"On the web, no one knows you're using a monkey!"