Feature/Script Request for "Playlist to folder name"

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

Cienega32

Feature/Script Request for "Playlist to folder name"

Post by Cienega32 »

It seems more and more playback devices (boom boxes, car radios) have USB and SD card readability nowadays. One problem I see with many is the inability to read/process playlists but they do read and display folder names.

I've been using the "Send to (copy)" to send various playlists to USB sticks and my by-hand method is slow, cludgy and leaves much to be desired. I had an idea but I have no idea where to begin, end or anything in between in writing a script. I've seen some tricky-slick stuff come out of the forum members here and thought it be worth a shot with a request: :wink:

My idea/goal is to have the playlist contents copied to the drive letter of the USB stick within a folder name matching the playlist name. In other words a playlist called "Tuesday" would result in a USB resident folder being created named "Tuesday" with all the songs in that playlist copied to it.

I'm thinking that each tune/file could/should be prepended with a 3 place number (001, 002, 003, etc) so the list will play in the correct order and to be able to play any duplicate entries. That would also accommodate any future randomizing or altering of the original playlist and copying to play in that order with up to 999 tunes.

Has there been anything created to accomplish this or is anyone bored enough to whip this together? I can see it as a beneficial script that others (besides me) would/could appreciate. I know I would appreciate it greatly!

TIA
Lowlander

Re: Feature/Script Request for "Playlist to folder name"

Post by Lowlander »

In the Device Profile you can set the Destination for the files which allows you to use the Mask <Playlist>\ which will create a Playlist folder with the files in them.
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

Wow... that definitely pointed me in the right direction! Absolutely perfect! I had no idea that capability was there. I never ventured into the 'sync' features, thinking it was ipod related (which I don't have). I should've known anything and everything would be covered in MM. Outstanding!

\<Playlist>\<Auto Number> <Title> gives me EXACTLY what I was looking for. Perfect! Thanks so much for that info - that creates a whole new Monkey World for me.

I just noticed one detail that is missing is with duplicate filenames. The Auto Number increments properly thru the playlist syncing but any dupes aren't copied over giving the filenames 001 tune, 002 tune, 004 tune, etc. if 003 is a dupe file of 001 or 002 (for example).

Being able to include/copy any dupes as found in the playlist would be a great option or feature.

EDIT: Well, I don't how I did it but I changed the mask from <Title> to <Filename> and it copied the dupes. Then I changed it back to <Title> and guess what... it copied the dupes the way "it should".

In making a few different test playlists with a handful of dupes I find that it doesn't copy all the time even if I do what I detailed above. Bug?
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

I think I may have cured the dupe no-copy problem. I don't seem to have the problem when I use my recently acquired Gold+ version of MM... :roll:

I was on an old freebie version on another machine. I'm hoping that was where the glitch was.

Thanks for the tip and help, Lowlander - much appreciated!