Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gpzbc

Re: Genre Finder 4.4 - Updated 10/03/2010

Post by gpzbc »

What are you stuck on? What kind of behavior are you experiencing? I'm sure we could help you more if you tell us specifically what is stumping you.

Basically, you select the track(s) you want to find the genre for, then click the genre finder toolbar button and select "ok" to accept, or "cancel" to deny.
--
The gpzbc
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I understand this basic usage.
What I don't is:
- how to "enlarge" genre finder recognition
- use white-lists & blacklists
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'm still not sure what you are stuck on. Are you having a hard time understanding the white and black lists? Or are they not working for you?

Basically, the white list restricts the results to genres only found in your white list. The black list is a list of genres that should be excluded from your results. Both the white and black list can be loaded from a text file. And the "minimum match" value is compared against a value in the Last.fm data source which I believe is their indication of how many people (percentage) agree with this tag value. So if you input your preferred genres as a white list then you should only get these results. Setting the "minimum match" to 100 will only use values which everyone on Last.Fm agrees with.

I hope that gets you started. You should also spend some time scanning this forum thread. I realize this is tedious, but it will be immensely helpful for you. I'm confident all of your questions will be answered. And a few users have even posted their white and black lists for others to use.

Also, don't forget about the "search this topic" box at the top left of the forum thread (as opposed to the search the entire forum box in the upper right corner). It can be quite useful in helping to track down the answer to specific questions that someone may have already asked in the forum thread.

Good luck!
--
The gpzbc
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I was trying to understand how to use this plugin properly.
In the beginning it was returning very basic results, almost as standard Itunes genres.
Trixmoto told me to play with white/blacklists, but I didn't know how to use them effectively.
BTW the screenshot on the first post of this thread shows a plugin config dialog that holds more options than the one I can run.
That's where I started thinking that I need a good primer on this plugin....
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Yes, I can understand. Some of these scripts can be a bit tricky at first, but the results usually far outweigh the labor of setting it up. :D
Hopefully reading the forum thread will clear everything up for you, but feel free to post back with specific questions that you may not be able to find in the forum thread.
Good luck!
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Which options are you missing from the dialogs? They are two separate dialogs ("GenreFinder" and it's child "Lists") combined into a single image.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Yes, you are right, the update lists is in a "Genre Finder" subtree....
Activist

Post by Activist »

how can i check the "clear cache" option?? seems gray/uncheckable :/

also the tags are case sensitive? to replace the tag Dnb with Drum And Bass, by typing dnb=drum and bass didnt do the trick, but Dnb=Drum And Bass worked :S

also, how could i set up the white/black list so that initially i allow every single tag and then just filter out/replace what i want?

(because from the whitelist the "*" means that it allows every already existing tag, right?)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The "clear cache" option is only available in modes which use a cache, like the artist mode but not the track mode.

Yes, tags are case sensitive at the moment, and I always title case them so each word (separate by a space) is uppercase and the rest of the word is lowercase.

Select "none" (instead of white or black) and this will allow all values.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Activist

Post by Activist »

i meant is there a way so i could allow every tag from last.fm and then just block/replace some that i don't like?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, this is called a black list.
stonejay

Post by stonejay »

Forgiveness if this has been answered elsewhere. I recently ran the script with no black or white lists, track mode with a 60% match and top 5 results. Now, i've added all the genres I don't want to use to the black list and run the script again but nothing is removed or changed. i've tried switching to album mode, fiddling with the match setting in track mode, running as admin but no avail. do I need to clear the genre field before every run?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Have you by any chance got the "only overwrite blank values" option ticked?
stonejay

Post by stonejay »

This option is unticked. out of curiosity i bulk edited the genres for one album and deleted the lot. and tried re-running it. it still says it's processed 10 tracks yet nothing is tagged. i'll try re-installing the script and see what comes up.
stonejay

Post by stonejay »

No dice. It seems that as soon as it does that first run of genres, that's it. Would screenshots help?