Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Owyn

Re: Genre Finder 4.4 - Updated 10/03/2010

Post by Owyn »

Seeing your %TEMP%\Genrefinder.log would help.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

If it's blank and you're getting no results then this implies that nothing coming back from last.fm is matching your lists. Try enabling the debug mode and check out the logfile for details.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cmor15151515

Post by cmor15151515 »

My GF is just straight up not working anymore. I run it and it says "all 1 track(s) have been processed" but nothing in the genre field changes. regardless of the song or settings, i've tried everything. any ideas?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Tried ticking the debug option and reading the logfile?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
sonofjon

Post by sonofjon »

Hi,

I have the same problem with outputting to Custom5 and the Comment field as reported here.

The fix you suggested does make the error popup disapear, however, I keep getting the message "All x tracks have been processed - no suggested changes.", and so the output fields are not filled. The "Advanced" version log is included below. For the exact same songs and options, the script works fine (output fields are populated) if I chose to output to any other field than Custom5 or Comment.

Runmode:artists
Cache cleared...
whitelist: Blues,Classical=Classical,Choral%=Classical,Choir=Classical,Opera=Classical,Country,Alt-Country=Country,Alt Country=Country,Electronic%=Electronic,%Electronic=Electronic,Chip%=Electronic,Bitpop=Electronic,8bit%=Electronic,8-Bit=Electronic,Game%=Electronic,%Game=Electronic,Synth%=Electronic,Techno=Electronic,Trip-Hop=Electronic,Trip Hop=Electronic,Triphop=Electronic,Folk=Folk,Folk Rock=Folk,Gospel,Jazz=Jazz,Easy Listening=Jazz,Kids,Nature,New Age,Emo=Pop/Rock,%Pop=Pop/Rock,Goth=Pop/Rock,Gothic=Pop/Rock,Grunge=Pop/Rock,%Metal=Pop/Rock,Lo-Fi=Pop/Rock,Punk=Pop/Rock,Ska=Pop/Rock,Rock%=Pop/Rock,%Rock=Pop/Rock,Rap=Rap,Hip-Hop=Rap,Hip Hop=Rap,Hiphop=Rap,R&B=R&B,RnB=R&B,Rhythm and Blues=R&B,Rhythm & Blues=R&B,Disco=R&B,Funk=R&B,Soul=R&B,Reggae,Speech,World=World,World Music=World,Cuban=World,Africa=World,African=World,Arabic=World,Bhangra=World,Gypsy=World,Klezmer=World,Throat Singing=World
Suggestions...
Artist seed field is Artist (ArtistName)...
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?metho ... lliam+Bell
'William Bell' contains artist name (William Bell)
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?metho ... he+Falcons
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?metho ... omon+Burke
'Solomon Burke' contains artist name (Solomon Burke)
Clearing up...
Seconds:0.09
Queries:3
Sec/Query:0.03
Confirmation...
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at what's causing this in the next version.
trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 4.5 - Updated 11/07/2010

Post by trixmoto »

New version (4.5) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed Custom5 and Comment fields not working
- Added ability to use *Field and +/- modifiers in a blacklist
- Fixed multi-value separator now taken from settings
- Added option to confirm each value individually
- Added keep lists to specify values which should always be kept

The option to confirm each value individual will convert the "change to" text on the confirmation screen into a checkbox group in multi-value mode and a radiogroup in single value mode.
jonp

Post by jonp »

Thanks Trix - nice enhancements.
Monkey1234

Post by Monkey1234 »

Awesome script - thanks for making it. I actually picked up MediaMonkey just for this script :).

I'm having an issue, however. Things seem to run fine with run-modes "Track" or "Album", but when I try to use "Artist", the script zooms through all of ~2500 tracks in about 1.5 seconds and says "GenreFinder: All ~2500 track(s) have been processed.". When I look at the log, it says the following for each processed track:

Cache cleared...
Artist '4 Strings' not found in database
Track has missing fields: Artist=''

... any thoughts? It seems to be telling me that it can't find the artist tag in the file but I tagged them with MediaMonkey and they are showing up correctly (in other programs as well), so I'm not sure what else to do. I tried a bunch of different configurations, with and without black / whitelists, nothing will get the script to work with run-mode "Artist".

Thanks!
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

@Monkey1234: I just tested the new script in Artist mode and it is working for me. Please post the start of your log including your first two tracks in a code block. e.g.

Code: Select all

Cache cleared...
Genre whitelist: Accordian,Banjo,Bass,Blues Harp,Cello,Clarinet,Fiddle,Flute,Guitar,Harmonica,Harp,Instrumental,Organ,Pedal Steel,Percussion,Piano,Saxophone,% Sax=Saxophone,Slide Guitar,Trumpet,Tuba,Ukulele,Violin,Africa=African,African,America=American,American,Argentina%=Argentinan,Austin,Aussie=Australian,Australian,Bakersfield,Balkan,Brasil%=Brazilian,Brazil%=Brazilian,British%=British,Canada=Canadian,Canadian,Chicago,Colombia%=Colombian,Cuba=Cuban,Cuban,Czech,Danish,Detroit,Dutch,English=British,France=French,French,German,Icelandic,Irish,Israel%=Israeli,Italian,Jamaican,Japanese,Los Angeles,Memphis,Mid%Eastern=Middle Eastern,Montreal,Nashville,New Mexico,New Orleans,New York,Norwegian,Panama,Persian,Polish,Scottish=British,Seattle,Spanish,Swedish,Tennessee,Texas,Toronto,Vancouver,1920s=20s,20s,1930s=30s,30s,1940s=40s,40s,1950s=50s,50s,1960s=60s,60s,70s,80s,90s,00s,8%bit=8-bit,A%Capella=A Cappella,A%Cappella=A Cappella,Acoustic,Afrobeat,Alt%Country=Alt Country,Alt%Folk=Alt Folk,Alt%Rock=Alt Rock,Alternative,Ambient,Americana,%Beats=Beats,Bebop=Bop,Big%Band=Big Band,Bluegrass,Boogie=Boogie Woogie,Boogie%Woogie=Boogie Woogie,Bossa%Nova=Bossa Nova,%Bounce=Bounce,Boy%band=Boy Band,Boy%Bands=Boy Band,Britpop,Cabaret,Cajun,Chansons,Chicano,Chill%=Chill,Classic%Rock=Classic Rock,Classical,Comedy,Composer%=Composer,Cowboy,Cumbia,Dance%=Dance,Disco,DJ=DJ,Doo%Wop=Doo Wop,Down%Tempo=Down Tempo,Drone,Dub%=Dub,Duets,Duos=Duets,Electro,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Experimental%=Experimental,Female Vocalist%=Female Vocalist,Filk,Flamenco,Folk%Rock=Folk Rock,Funk,Fusion,Girl%Group=Girl Group,Girl%Groups=Girl Group,Grunge,Gypsy,Hip%Hop=Hip Hop,%Hip Hop=Hip-Hop,%House=House,Humor=Comedy,Humour=Comedy,Jam Band,Latin,Lo%Fi=LoFi,Lounge,Mellow,Motown,New%Wave=New Wave,Noise%=Noise,Novelty,Old%Time=Old Time,Old%Timey=Old Timey,Oldies,Pacifico,Pernambuco,Polka,%Psychedelic%=Psych,Pop%Rock=Pop/Rock,R%B=R&B,Ragtime,%Rap=Rap,Reggae,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,Rock%Folk=Folk Rock,Rock%Roll=Rock&Roll,Rockabilly,Singer%Songwriter=Singer Songwriter,Ska,Stoner,Surf,Swamp,Swing,Tex%Mex=Tex Mex,%Thrash=Thrash,Twee,Zydeco,%Blues,Blues%,%Bop,%Country,Country%,%Folk,Folk%,Guitar%,Indie%,%Jazz,Jazz%,%Soul,%Celtic%=Celtic,%Christian%=Christian,%Garage%=Garage,%Gospel%=Gospel,%Goth%=Goth,%Metal%=Metal,%Pop%=Pop,%Punk%=Punk,%Rock%=Rock,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=World
Genre blacklist: Jazzapedia,Ken Burns%,Martin Scorsese%,My %,%Live%
Genre keep list: Cover
Suggestions...
Multiple values...
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=artist.getTopTags&api_key=6cfe51c9bf7e77d6449e63ac0db2ac24&artist=Full+Frontal+Folk
Genre 'Folk' is acceptable
Genre 'Awesome' is not in whitelist
Genre 'Female Vocalists' translated to 'Female Vocalist'
Genre 'Under 2000 Listeners' is not in whitelist
Full Frontal Folk - Cat Eyed Willie Claims His Lover: Genre=Folk; Female Vocalist; Cover
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=artist.getTopTags&api_key=6cfe51c9bf7e77d6449e63ac0db2ac24&artist=Diane+Zeigler
Genre 'Singer-songwriter' translated to 'Singer Songwriter'
Genre 'Lyrical' is not in whitelist
Genre 'Indie Folk' is acceptable
Genre 'Female Folk' is acceptable
Diane Zeigler - Gentle Soldier of My Soul: Genre=Singer Songwriter; Indie Folk; Female Folk; Cover
@Trix: I tested the new Keep lists and it works just fine for a single value (see above). It does not work however if I use multiple values. I tried both "Cover,Live,Xmas" and "Cover;Live;Xmas" using Properties to set Genre to "Folk; Cover" on all of the test tracks prior to the test.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
mkoat

Post by mkoat »

Hello! New MM user and must say that this script was among the decision making points for me in regards to picking a music db software. You've done some outstanding work, and so I must make a post that praises your script, but I also have to make some requests for some potential improvements. I don't think these would be too difficult, but I do believe they are in line with the idea of your script - let me know what you think....

1.I was hoping that I would be able to search genre tags by artist, but then apply them to the whole album....You can do this already, but let's say you're dealing with a rare recording from a well-known artist. The artist likely has dozens of tags, a few of which you would like to apply to the entire album worth of tracks. In the current setup, you can add the genres individually per track, which requires sometimes dozens of clicks each track and could easily lead to errors. The basic idea here would be to take a selection of genres from an artist/album/or even a multi-track search, and apply them to an album, or set of tracks. Allowing you to chose the individual values returned from the search, but apply the standard set of genre values to an album or collection of tracks.

2.I'm not sure if this is in line with the program's intention, but if there were an option to make the genre finder auto-deselect decades that are inconsistent with the id3 year, it could really add something.

3.Also, having tagged some of my files, some of the genres have identical names but are separate entities. For example, I have two classic rock genres which are spelled exactly the same...is there a space or character somewhere that's causing them to act differently? I know this is not genre finder's fault, but is it possible for genre finder to provide that type of simple error correction? If the text string of the genre is x% identical with another genre already in the collection, it offers the user a merge/assimilate option.

Thanks again for the script, keep up the great work!
Monkey1234

Post by Monkey1234 »

Owyn wrote:@Monkey1234: I just tested the new script in Artist mode and it is working for me. Please post the start of your log including your first two tracks in a code block. e.g.

Cache cleared...
Genre whitelist: Accordian,Banjo,Bass,Blues Harp,Cello,Clarinet,Fiddle,Flute,Guitar,Harmonica,Harp,Instrumental,Organ,Pedal Steel,Percussion,Piano,Saxophone,% Sax=Saxophone,Slide Guitar,Trumpet,Tuba,Ukulele,Violin,Africa=African,African,America=American,American,Argentina%=Argentinan,Austin,Aussie=Australian,Australian,Bakersfield,Balkan,Brasil%=Brazilian,Brazil%=Brazilian,British%=British,Canada=Canadian,Canadian,Chicago,Colombia%=Colombian,Cuba=Cuban,Cuban,Czech,Danish,Detroit,Dutch,English=British,France=French,French,German,Icelandic,Irish,Israel%=Israeli,Italian,Jamaican,Japanese,Los Angeles,Memphis,Mid%Eastern=Middle Eastern,Montreal,Nashville,New Mexico,New Orleans,New York,Norwegian,Panama,Persian,Polish,Scottish=British,Seattle,Spanish,Swedish,Tennessee,Texas,Toronto,Vancouver,1920s=20s,20s,1930s=30s,30s,1940s=40s,40s,1950s=50s,50s,1960s=60s,60s,70s,80s,90s,00s,8%bit=8-bit,A%Capella=A Cappella,A%Cappella=A Cappella,Acoustic,Afrobeat,Alt%Country=Alt Country,Alt%Folk=Alt Folk,Alt%Rock=Alt Rock,Alternative,Ambient,Americana,%Beats=Beats,Bebop=Bop,Big%Band=Big Band,Bluegrass,Boogie=Boogie Woogie,Boogie%Woogie=Boogie Woogie,Bossa%Nova=Bossa Nova,%Bounce=Bounce,Boy%band=Boy Band,Boy%Bands=Boy Band,Britpop,Cabaret,Cajun,Chansons,Chicano,Chill%=Chill,Classic%Rock=Classic Rock,Classical,Comedy,Composer%=Composer,Cowboy,Cumbia,Dance%=Dance,Disco,DJ=DJ,Doo%Wop=Doo Wop,Down%Tempo=Down Tempo,Drone,Dub%=Dub,Duets,Duos=Duets,Electro,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Experimental%=Experimental,Female Vocalist%=Female Vocalist,Filk,Flamenco,Folk%Rock=Folk Rock,Funk,Fusion,Girl%Group=Girl Group,Girl%Groups=Girl Group,Grunge,Gypsy,Hip%Hop=Hip Hop,%Hip Hop=Hip-Hop,%House=House,Humor=Comedy,Humour=Comedy,Jam Band,Latin,Lo%Fi=LoFi,Lounge,Mellow,Motown,New%Wave=New Wave,Noise%=Noise,Novelty,Old%Time=Old Time,Old%Timey=Old Timey,Oldies,Pacifico,Pernambuco,Polka,%Psychedelic%=Psych,Pop%Rock=Pop/Rock,R%B=R&B,Ragtime,%Rap=Rap,Reggae,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,Rock%Folk=Folk Rock,Rock%Roll=Rock&Roll,Rockabilly,Singer%Songwriter=Singer Songwriter,Ska,Stoner,Surf,Swamp,Swing,Tex%Mex=Tex Mex,%Thrash=Thrash,Twee,Zydeco,%Blues,Blues%,%Bop,%Country,Country%,%Folk,Folk%,Guitar%,Indie%,%Jazz,Jazz%,%Soul,%Celtic%=Celtic,%Christian%=Christian,%Garage%=Garage,%Gospel%=Gospel,%Goth%=Goth,%Metal%=Metal,%Pop%=Pop,%Punk%=Punk,%Rock%=Rock,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=World
Genre blacklist: Jazzapedia,Ken Burns%,Martin Scorsese%,My %,%Live%
Genre keep list: Cover
Suggestions...
Multiple values...
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=artist.getTopTags&api_key=6cfe51c9bf7e77d6449e63ac0db2ac24&artist=Full+Frontal+Folk
Genre 'Folk' is acceptable
Genre 'Awesome' is not in whitelist
Genre 'Female Vocalists' translated to 'Female Vocalist'
Genre 'Under 2000 Listeners' is not in whitelist
Full Frontal Folk - Cat Eyed Willie Claims His Lover: Genre=Folk; Female Vocalist; Cover
@http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=artist.getTopTags&api_key=6cfe51c9bf7e77d6449e63ac0db2ac24&artist=Diane+Zeigler
Genre 'Singer-songwriter' translated to 'Singer Songwriter'
Genre 'Lyrical' is not in whitelist
Genre 'Indie Folk' is acceptable
Genre 'Female Folk' is acceptable
Diane Zeigler - Gentle Soldier of My Soul: Genre=Singer Songwriter; Indie Folk; Female Folk; Cover
@Trix: I tested the new Keep lists and it works just fine for a single value (see above). It does not work however if I use multiple values. I tried both "Cover,Live,Xmas" and "Cover;Live;Xmas" using Properties to set Genre to "Folk; Cover" on all of the test tracks prior to the test.
Here's the log file:

Cache cleared...
Genre whitelist: Ambient,Big Band,Blues,Christian,Club,Country,Disco,DJ,Easy Listening,Belgium,German,Greek,Irish,Italian,Latin,Hispanic,Scottish,Swedish,Folk,Funk,Soil,Jazz,Fusion,Metal,Heavy Metal,Industrial,Industrial Rock,Gothic Rock,Goth Rock,Gothic Metal,Goth Metal,Oldies,Polka,Pop,R&B,Rap,Hip-Hop,Hip Hop,Rock,Alternative,Punk,Tropical,Island,Caribbean
Artist '2 Young Bros' not found in database
Artist 'The 411' not found in database
Artist 'A Simple Plan' not found in database
Clearing up...
Seconds:0.05
Queries:0
Sec/Query:0.00
Thanks!
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Hmmm. It looks like you have not actually added tracks to your library. I suspect that you are selecting tracks using the My Computer node instead of one of the library nodes.

Right click a root media folder in My Computer and select Add/Re-scan from the menu to add the tracks to the library.
Monkey1234

Post by Monkey1234 »

Owyn wrote:Hmmm. It looks like you have not actually added tracks to your library. I suspect that you are selecting tracks using the My Computer node instead of one of the library nodes.

Right click a root media folder in My Computer and select Add/Re-scan from the menu to add the tracks to the library.
Ok that will probably fix it then - I was just trying to scan from a computer location. Why would the Track titles work though? And for clarity, I thought "Album" mode worked but it ended the same was as "Artists" mode did. Thanks for your help - I'll update here when I get a chance to test it.

Curious though - Is it a limitation of the MM environment to have to add the tracks to the library before scanning in those modes or just the design you chose?
Monkey1234

Post by Monkey1234 »

Owyn wrote:Hmmm. It looks like you have not actually added tracks to your library. I suspect that you are selecting tracks using the My Computer node instead of one of the library nodes.

Just to confirm - the genre scan is working properly now and filling in the tags. Truly awesome script - thanks for the quick help as well!