Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

geremye

Re: Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Post by geremye »

New user to MM love it so far. I really like this script and am trying to learn how to use it.

How do you set it up to default to the main artists genre if a particular track is not found (like a rare, demo, live, etc version)? Currently those are just blank and i dont see in the options how to do this?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

At the moment you can't run in mixed modes, so you'd have to process all tracks in "track" mode, and then for the ones that still have a blank genre, you can then process them in "artist" mode. I think it's better this way anyway, as it gives you more control, but a mixed mode has been requested before.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
RayeGunn

Post by RayeGunn »

Just added this, and have some suggestions. It works great, got it all set up, but I think it should come with a default blacklist, just a small one, of some things that last.fm people frequently tag things that are totally unrelated to, you know, genre. I had to spend some time setting up a blacklist of things that I suspect the vast majority would want blacklisted, with things like: seen live, albums I own, cool, awesome, beautiful, favo(u)rite(s), and so on

Also, if you do have a term blacklisted, and you have it set to do more than one tag per track, and that tag is one of the top ones, it will skimp on the tags rather than going to the next highest ranked. Like, i have it set to add 3 tags, one album had it tagging to: Doom Metal; Melodic Death Metal; Beautiful. I added 'Beautiful' to the blacklist, and redid the tags for that album, and it came up: Doom Metal; Melodic Death Metal rather than: Doom Metal; Melodic Death Metal; Mystery Tag

Also, It appears the blacklist is case sensitive, and I don't think it should be, since last.fm defaults to lowercase, but this seems to do first letter uppercase.

But really, I know this is nitpicking. My genre tags were a mess and this has helped a lot to get them in order
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm glad you've found the script useful, and thank you for the suggestions, they're always welcome.

1) I can do this as a default, but it's hard to know whether more users prefer to use a whitelist or a blacklist, so it's hard to know what default would be best. Genre's are very subjective, after all.

2) That does sound like a bug, I'll investigate that.

3) I've double checked the code and it definitely uppercases both the value in the list, and the potential value, when it's checking both the white and black lists, so there should be no case sensitivity issues. If you're sure this is happening, post an example and I'll take a look.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
emagin

Post by emagin »

Thanks @RayGunne for that recent clarification of how this works.
I was wondering why I was getting so many bogus genres when doing the tagging.
So I will start my own blacklist I guess, but I would vote for a whitelist.
It seems easier to work with a scoped Genre list.
RayeGunn

Post by RayeGunn »

That's why I said a small list, because genre is subjective, but some of the tags that pop up just aren't related to genre at all, they're more related to one person's interaction with the music, or personal taste, and they would not apply to anyone else at all. True that some would prefer a whitelist rather than a blacklist, though. (I ended up kinda leaning that way myself but I had put so much work into the blacklist at that point!) but the whitelist would end up being even more subjective than a blacklist.

Anyway, I personally didn't want years (20s, 30s etc.) or country of origin, but some people might, so nevermind those, but these are from the blacklist I created, and I don't think the following would be subjective (at least in terms of 'is this a genre?') at all:

Seen Live
Cool
Awesome (and some variations like 'Totally Awesome' and 'Simply Awesome')
Best Band Ever
Favorite (and Favourite, Favourites, Favourite Band, etc.)
Genius
<3
Beautiful
Mistagged
Insightful
Epic
Feel Good Music
Amazing (and several variations like, I dunno if swearing is allowed on the forums, but F---ing Amazing and F---ing-Amazing)
Quirky
Under 2000 Listeners
Home Collection
Calm
Simphony (a shockingly common misspelling)
Complete Score
Love It
Sad
Sexy
Fun
Other
CDs I Own (or Albums I Own)

a little iffy:
Brutal (iffy since 'Brutal Death Metal' could be considered a genre, for instance, but...)
Vocalist(s)
Singer(s)

Do with that what you will, at the very least it may help some people putting together their own blacklist.

oh... are wildcards possible? like "Favo*" would get both Favorite and Favourite? never thought to check that.
emagin

Post by emagin »

Good points.
I was liking the whitelist idea because, theoretically, we could leverage some kind of genre list standards -- maybe from Last.fm or discog -- and then let er rip.

I tend to use GF as a way of rapidly cleaning up all the genre-less items in my lists. That can be many and I only want to update it fast so that I can then use XBMC to play auto-playlists based on genre, and don't want to miss good songs.
Perhaps a bit peculiar of a need, but I guess that genre / playlist playing would be a frequent use case in MM as well.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

RayeGunn wrote:That's why I said a small list, because genre is subjective, but some of the tags that pop up just aren't related to genre at all, they're more related to one person's interaction with the music, or personal taste, and they would not apply to anyone else at all.
Problem is you can also use this script on other fields like "Mood" and "Occasion", and a lot of the blacklisted items you listed might very well fall into these other categories.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

The script updated my genre list from 128 to over 700 genres...of which many were clearly incorrect.
The album name or other useless information was populated and now I have to spend many hours to removed genres such as:

Catchy
Catchy as Hell
One out of ten
two out of ten
three out of ten....etc
Chilled Out
Claaaaap your hands....

Either I did this wrong or possibly the source genre listings at the web site are not current.

I suggest testing a subset of your songs first to determine if it works correctly.

A
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Guest wrote:Either I did this wrong
You need to use the whitelist or blacklist to filter which Genre's can be used.
Pollik

Post by Pollik »

I have just installed Mediamonkey 4.1.1.1703.

I also download Genre Finder 5.0 from http://trixmoto.net/mm/search.php?all=scripts.

When I try to install the extension (Tools/Extensions), I get a notification: "A script engine for the specified language can not be created."

Despite this, when I look at Tools/Extensions, Genre Finder appears to be installed, but I can't see it if I go to Tools/Scripts...meaning that I cannot find a way to run it. Further, if I try to uninstall Genre Finder at Tools/Extensions, I get the same notification. I can't uninstall it.

My only recourse seems to be uninstall Media Monkey and to start over again.

I am not a techie and I don't really know any about writing scripts. Obviously I am doing something wrong or there is something wrong with my Windows 7 laptop.

I would welcome any help or suggestions, please?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Pollik

Post by Pollik »

Thank you Trix...and I caught the subtle hint. :-?

The reason I came here first was the hope that someone might have experienced the problem in the specific context of MM and indeed it was an MM thread that provided the answer. The irony is that a MM search showed up nothing when I tried, and that the link to a MM thread appeared on the lmgtfy result.

Oh well. Anyway, problem solved, so thank you
Zurqulon

Post by Zurqulon »

This might be usefull for people stumbling upon this post.

I created a huge whitelist from the wikipedia genre lists
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles
It's not perfect but it's the best I could create.

Here is a download for the txt file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4728695065

When adding this to your genrefinder lists it's best to refer to the actual file. Example: @C:\Users\You\Music\genres.txt
Or just copy and paste the content from my genres.txt to the list but that will take a few minutes or mediamonkey just crashes.
a_daley

Post by a_daley »

This is a really great time saver and I say thank you for the enormous amount of time you have spent on keeping this updated and working really well. I has saved me hours of editing :D

I was wondering withe so many genres these days if it would be possible to add a couple more white lists and link them to specific types?

Ie a White list linked to Music another specifically for Video / Movies /TV and one for Audiobooks?

With there being over 500 in music now and Movies have a couple of hundred not to meantion Podcasts and Audiobooks it would be easier to keep them up to date in separate lists.

Not so interested in actually searching for say Movie genres at Rotten Tomatoes but to try and keep everything in some easy order as my white list looks like a real mess since I have added a number of audiobooks and movies......

Thoughts????