Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

some1

Post by some1 »

Would like to say a thank you for this! :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm glad you like it! :D
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.4) is now available to download from my website, or the code is in the first thread. Changes include...

- Added option to run automatically for currently playing track
- Added option to only overwrite blank values
- Moved logfile to windows temporary directory (%temp%)
- Added option to specify automatic white list of current values

I've moved the logfile because I couldn't find it on my Vista machine. Turns out it goes into a "VirtualStore" folder, but I've now moved it to the windows temporary directory so safe measure. :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi trixmoto,
nice! :) Although I use an older version which works in MM3. Another wish: It would be nice if we could see somehow when no genre could be found. So we can change it manually. Maybe store something into an optionfield? Or move the songs into a playlist?
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

trixmoto wrote:- Added option to specify automatic white list of current values

I don't see this on the option page, how does this work?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Big_Berny - this is a nice idea but gets a little confusing with multiple lists. I presume you'd want the track moving into the playlist if any of the fields could not be populated?

@Teknojnky - sorry, there's supposed to be a hint on the list field but it's not appearing. Just set the list type to "white" and put "*" in the list field - this should work for any field type.

Track mode should work in MM3 but the Artist and Album modes will cause SQL errors. Hopefully these will be resolved in the next version.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

How is this 'automatic' white list generated tho? from only the currently used genres/fields or what?
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Yes, I'd like if the songs of which the artist has not been found in last.fm get added to a playlist called 'No genre found' for example. Or do you have a better idea how we can find them quickly to set the genre by hand?
A solution would be that we delete the genre of all tracks first but that wouldn't be a good solution for me because some song already have a good genre which I want to keep if GenreFinder finds nothing.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
baker

Post by baker »

This script is sweet and it keeps getting better and better. NJ again Trix.

I would like to suggest a "Default to Genre" option which would work by keeping a list of unused genres that would automatically return a default genre. For example, if LastFM returns "General Hospital" and "General Hospital" was on the Pop list, then that track would be tagged Pop.

Also, an option to have it first check the track's genre and then if no match is found there it then checked the artist's genre, would be nice too.
baker

Post by baker »

Trix, can words be added or removed from the white list after the *? For example "*|-Rock" would accept all genres in the library except rock. Or "*|+Rock" would add rock to the list. Thx.

Also, what exactly does the Matching % do? I had it set to 10 and it was missing a lot of big tags. Is there an optimal setting? Thx again.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Teknojnky - yes, the whitelist then becomes the list of values currently in your library for that field.

@Big_Berny - good suggestion, I'll look at adding this option.

@baker - firstly, thanks!
2) You can already do this by putting "General Hospital=Pop" in the whitelist, this then accepts "General Hospital" from Last.Fm but saves it to the tag as "Pop".
3) This script originally checked for artist if it couldn't find track but there were conflict issues with multiple fields, so it was removed.
4) I like the idea of being able to add and remove items from the automatic whitelist, I'll look at adding this to the next version.
5) The matching % filters using one of the fields returned by Last.Fm which says how many people are using this tag for this item (track/artist/album).

Post by Guest »

trixmoto wrote:@

@baker - firstly, thanks!
2) You can already do this by putting "General Hospital=Pop" in the whitelist, this then accepts "General Hospital" from Last.Fm but saves it to the tag as "Pop".
Oh my goodness. Is there any limit to how much text or how many instructions can be in there?
3) This script originally checked for artist if it couldn't find track but there were conflict issues with multiple fields, so it was removed.
Ah ok. I thought that's how it worked at one time. So now it works by simply looking at appropriate track/album/artist depending on the Run Mode?
4) I like the idea of being able to add and remove items from the automatic whitelist, I'll look at adding this to the next version.
More goodness. About the automatic whitelist, I see it will still use ID31 tags that are perm part of MM although not in use. What is the danger in removing those fields from the genre table? All my devices have ID32 and since I tried it, it doesn't appear to cause MM any probs.
5) The matching % filters using one of the fields returned by Last.Fm which says how many people are using this tag for this item (track/artist/album).
Ok, so if set at 10% it will ignore all tags that are used by less than 10% of everyone. I figured that was the intent but sometimes it ignores the second most popular tag for some reason unless I lower it to 0. Maybe a flaw on their side somehow.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't impose a limit, but I guess there might be one somewhere. Let me know if you find one!

Yes, it just depends on the mode now. It doesn't do any second checks if the first fails.

Yes, it uses all the ones in the database, not just ones which you have tracks using. I believe it is safe to remove these from the database if you wish, that's my understanding anyway.

I wonder what happens if the field in the xml is blank? It shouldn't be, but maybe that's the issue. I'll check it out when I'm doing the next release.
baker

Post by baker »

Yea I think there is one. At least when I tried an earlier version I created my own list and recall getting an 'out of space' type error. Maybe those types of instructions could be added to the code?

Also, I hadn't noticed before because lastfm has been pretty quick with the responses but now it is taking forever and while it is waiting for them, MM totally hangs until it gets one. I have priority set to lowest so that's not it. Is this normal?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, it's using the OnTimer event so MM definitely shouldn't hang. I've not experienced this myself but I'll try to investigate.