Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Genre's will be coming (hopefully soon) to MusicIP.

They will be consensus based upon metadata collected by analysed tracks from the musicip mixer. (ie the top genres for a specific track)
RedX

Post by RedX »

Well for getting info from Allmusic, which really doesn't have a web interface, is browse to it using MM internal browser and then parsing the page for data. Not the most efficient way but it would work.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

A white-list and black-list idea might help weed out some of the worst results, making the Last.Fm results more usable. I'll look into other sources as well, MusicIP looks like it could be good depending on their interface.

I've done a lot of page parsing in my Delphi days, but it's rarely a reliable method. I'll investigate though, if people agree that they like AllMusic's genres?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Neal

Post by Neal »

I do like the AllMusic genre list. Short and sweet makes them usable for my way of listening.

Thanks
judas

Post by judas »

Haven't tried this script yet...will check it out soon.

I also like allmusic.com, but be aware that no perfect solution has been found...so far. Anyhow, before implementing a page parser on allmusic i would talk to steegy, because the other day he said, on the websources secript forum, that we shouldnt worry anymore with allmusic, so maybe its good as to avoid repeating work or maybe you can take it from where he is or whatever?
Cheers, judas
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I tried out the script, it works fairly well. Of course the results are limited and/or skewed by whatever people have tagged a specific track as in last.fm... and since these are freeform tags consistency can vary.

I think an optional preview/confirmation window similar to the case checker scripts would be a great addition.

Nice work so far.
RedX

Post by RedX »

Well there is actually a little inconvenience in AllMusic genre, and that is that it always is some basic genre like Metallica and Helloween for instance are both Rock but if u know them u'll notice that one is Power metal whereas the oher is Trash. The more useful info is stored under style, which then contain Power and trash correctly.
Well if u are going to parse the page anyways any chance of using the mood field to complete the mood tag also?
And since MM3.0 is able to use multiple tags maybe also store all of them :)

Thx,
Red
judas

Post by judas »

Cheers, judas
RedX

Post by RedX »

judas wrote:@RedX: Check this out mate: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8405
Thx but i already tried it out and IMHO it's the crappiest tagger that i know of, and i've tried out lots of tagger. I believe that if trixmoto does it it will be much better.
Bex

Post by Bex »

RedX!
IMHO Certainly NOT! :evil:
The work and time Steegy has put into his great scripts deserves respect which you lack in your comments.

It still is under development and if you have suggestions to improve it, I'm sure Steegy along with all others would appreciate if you put it in a more constructive way than you do now.

All this said with no disrespect to Trixmoto!

Or do I misunderstand your comments?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
RedX

Post by RedX »

Bex wrote:RedX!
IMHO Certainly NOT! :evil:
The work and time Steegy has put into his great scripts deserves respect which you lack in your comments.

It still is under development and if you have suggestions to improve it, I'm sure Steegy along with all others would appreciate if you put it in a more constructive way than you do now.

All this said with no disrespect to Trixmoto!

Or do I misunderstand your comments?
Sorry if i sounded disrespectful, that was in no way my intention!
I certainly do respect all the work that has gone into the script, but i mean the software itself is horrible.
I really don't remember what made me quit it but what i believe was that after u got the data from Allmusic u couldn't preview properly and afterwards there was no way to edit the data or change the order of tracks. It also didn't see if names matched the song title if they where out of order. Those where some of the small things that made me stop using it.
I believe that those problems are really software faults and not Steegys that's why i never said steegy script sucks (which it doesn't) but the software is bad.
The problem, i think is, that that's the only MP3 tagger ATM that has support for a site parsing script.

I apologize again if i sounded disrespectful and all the best wishes to the users and dev's of WST.

Best regards,
Red
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

my trouble with you two bex and redx.

i read your message that bex qouted. and i read it the way you wanted to say it.
then i read bex's post and i read the same thing he said?

so how do i look at it? confused :lol: so it must just be how the person
reads it?

i know there are scripts that should not be tried by some here because they are not up to the needs of that script.
then there are others that don't want to do that script because it is not a hard enough script for them to do.
just which scripters fit in to which group ?
at one time or other they all fit in each group. :o

scripters are like singers
they all think they can do all songs but some cant and make the song sound bad it works on the recording but it just sounds bad.

8)
Bex

Post by Bex »

RedX,

Reading this again it looks like you were referring to the application mp3Tag and not Steegy's great "Web Source Tagger" which Judas meant when he gave you the link.

Is that the case?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
mattisse

Post by mattisse »

RedX wrote: I really don't remember what made me quit it but what i believe was that after u got the data from Allmusic u couldn't preview properly and afterwards there was no way to edit the data or change the order of tracks. It also didn't see if names matched the song title if they where out of order. Those where some of the small things that made me stop using it.
I believe that those problems are really software faults and not Steegys that's why i never said steegy script sucks (which it doesn't) but the software is bad.
There we go.
It's neither the software's fault nor the the programmer steegy's. It's simply you being incapable of using such a great piece of software.

Steegy's Web Sources Tagger
- shows you all data that is retrieved from the web source.
- you can edit any data before saving it to the tags.
- even if songs are completely unordered it finds matches if the song titles has a high similarity to the song titles of the web source. I don't know any other tagger that does this as well as WST.
- WST's variety of web sources and the flexibility to add new sources is probably unparalleled.

Good luck finding a better tagger. IMHO, that's going to be hard.
RedX

Post by RedX »

Bex wrote:RedX,

Reading this again it looks like you were referring to the application mp3Tag and not Steegy's great "Web Source Tagger" which Judas meant when he gave you the link.

Is that the case?
Yes that's the case. Sorry for not making myself clear the first time.