Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

further explanation

Post by Guest »

yes, that's also a good list. But there are some errors in this list.
For instance "Seen live" or 'favorites' 'finish' or 'album I own'. Those are not genre's. So that's why this list needs to be cleaned up. These need to be blacklisted. My idea is to have a good white list and have the rest blacklisted. The reason for this is that there are so many different genre's

Off course you can make a comprehensive 'white' list. But if nobody tags them right than the list won't be of much use.
So I made this good list with the songs of my library. I counted how many times a genre reoccurred (column 3) . The genres with more than one hit are ok the rest is quite superfluous. I also checked to genre's if they are really genre's. The good genre's with more than 1 hit are pink.

I might be handy to have a grey list. That is for instance to transfer RnB, RandB into R&B and so on. This is column 2 in the excelsheet.

As last did I look into the genre's and found out that lots of genre's are actually moods ore occasions. So why not use this tags for the designated fields in MM. In MM you can classify songs bij mood or occasion, but you all would probably know that. I colored this cells yellow for moods and blue for occasion. But than you need to have the second highest tag (dont know if you can do that) for the actual genre. this would be really great.

I know that my list is a little arbitrary, though I think it's quite a good list.

Maybe someone can do the same: See what genre's in your library are counted more than once and compare them with my list.
Please give them the same colors (pink for genre) and place them on the bottom of the list. Good luck
harpagornis

manually removing whitelist

Post by harpagornis »

I filled in a big whitelist in the settings of genrefinder but know I can't run the script and get into the options. I also cant reinstall it. I need to know how to manually delete the whitelist from the genrefinder options. Any ideas?
Wouter Janssen
Bex

Post by Bex »

You will find it in the scripts.ini file under the section [GenreFinder]
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
harpagornis

No whitelist

Post by harpagornis »

There's no whitelist. I can't run genrefinder or get into the options of genrefinder. MM closes down immediatly
Wouter Janssen
harpagornis

I don't see the whitelist

Post by harpagornis »

This is all I can find in the scripts.ini I don't see a whitelist

[GenreFinder]
FileName=Auto\GenreFinder.vbs
ProcName=GenreFinder
Order=50
DisplayName=&Genre Finder
Description=Finds genre for track from Last.Fm
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0
Wouter Janssen
Bex

Post by Bex »

Sorry, I meant in your MediaMonkey.ini
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
harpagornis

Post by harpagornis »

Thank U very much. I overlooked is.
Wouter Janssen
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@balance337 - I have no idea how I'd create an interface that allowed you to view a list that large!!

@harpagornis - I sorry that things went a little wrong. Was it just the size of the list that was the problem? How large was it?

You cannot have a whitelist AND a blacklist, this doesn't make sense. What do you do with a track that doesn't appear on either?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
harpagornis

Only whitelist

Post by harpagornis »

Yes it's true that you cant have a black and a white list.

Of course when you make a white list all the other genre's are automatically blacklisted.

I might be handy to have a grey list. That is for instance to transfer RnB, RandB into R&B automatically. This is column 2 in the excelsheet.

You can also just state R&B in the whitelist, though I think you get better results when automatically renaming RnB and RandB into R&B (this is because the tagging isn't so good at last.fm)

What do you think about the moods and occasions?

Size of the white list: about 100 genre's It made it a little shorter and it works like a charm.
Wouter Janssen
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

In the next version you will be able to put the following in the whitelist: "R&B,RnB=R&B,RandB=R&B". This will mean that any tracks with "RnB" or "RandB" will be tagged as "R&B" and those with "R&B" will also be tagged. This combines your greylist idea into the whitelist.

This script might get rather cumbersome if it's trying to do mood and occassion as well. Presumably you'd need lists for each of these as well? I'll take a look at including them but no promises.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
RedX

Post by RedX »

From where do you plan to extract the info for those fields (mood, occasion)?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I presumed the request was for these to also come from Last.Fm's list of tags.
RedX

Post by RedX »

I've never seen any webservice that provides these kind of data from last.fm i think they use the general Tag for that also.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, Last.Fm doesn't have a genre service either. The service this script uses is the "tag" service, which many people fill with all kinds of information such as genre, mood, occasion, category, etc... I believe the request is to have a white list for genre, mood and occasion so that you can tag all three of these fields at once using a single query.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I don't know if this has already been suggested or not, but here goes...

How about an option to specify what field to save the last fm tags to, like any of the custom fields, or any of the classification fields.

For myself, I keep my genre list very pruned and clean. I don't want the chaos of last.fm tags to clutter up my genres.

But, I would still like to have some of the last.fm tags available... I would likely use the 'mood' classification for this purpose.