Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

An idea to consider:

- Preview mode -- This would work something like the case checker script and display what the results would be, before they are blindly applied.

- also neat would be if they status bar indicated what was being applied and to which field. (ie Processing artist Nine Inch Nails - Industrial --> Mood) substituting the artist - track, artist - album when using the album/track modes.

Being a curious geek, I like to know what is going on, so going further I'd like to see the status bar update to what it is doing.. meaning, indicate its querying last.fm, what last.fm results were, processing all the last.fm results, applying the 'consensus' to the applicable artist/album/track in the applicable field.

But that is just me! :o
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I can look at putting in a confirmation screen, but I think this will seriously mess with the workflow! :)

The trouble with putting messages in the progress bar is that it won't actually stay there long enough to read. The gap between working out what to tag the tracks with and moving onto the next query is normally less than half a second. I've been playing (in my head) with ideas of a queue system that would display messages for at least a set amount of time so might try implementing this.

Anyway, I always set the debug log level to 1 (basic) as this gives me a list of all the changes that were made. This way if I disagree I can look up what the previous value was and put it back if I prefer it.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
chilin_dude

Post by chilin_dude »

Hi trix - Just stumbled upon this script while on your site downloading some of your other scripts - I was wondering if there's any plan to upgrade this to work with mm3?
Richard Lee Taylor
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

As with all my scripts which are not currently compatible with MM3, they won't be updated until MM3 is at least into beta stage because the database structure has not been finalised. I do plan to update it at this point though! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.2) is now available from my website. The major change is that there's now an option to show a confirmation screen before making any changes, although there's a couple of other smaller changes as well.
Susan Cassadaga

Post by Susan Cassadaga »

I Think the the REverse of this Script would be quite usefull if possible at all
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

"Genre Loser"? - maybe you could be a little more specific! :lol:

Post by Guest »

As in posting user defined genres up to last.fm

would make last.fm FAR more accurate...
RedX

Post by RedX »

Anonymous wrote:As in posting user defined genres up to last.fm

would make last.fm FAR more accurate...
only if you believe that ur genres are better than that of any other last.fm users...
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You cannot add to Last.Fm data like that, I don't think. Well, not via a webservice anyway.
G.I.

Post by G.I. »

Susan Cassadaga wrote:I Think the the REverse of this Script would be quite usefull if possible at all
I thought this sounded useful also ... most genres (in metal) get f_cked up and then you can run this reverse script to throw away all the wrong sh_t that came from last.fm ...

Problem though ... not everything is wrong ... btw. genre by artist is quite accurate ... genre album/track sucks in my opinion.

Sometimes I get cr_p like "Female Fronted Metal" ... wtf?!?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That's because Last.Fm actually stores tags, not genres, so people put all kinds of weird things in there. Predominantly people put in genres though, so that first results are normally pretty good.

P.S. Keep the language clean please!!
joeshmoe

white list

Post by joeshmoe »

Would anyone be willing to share their white list? I'm trying to pare down to about 20-25 genres. Saw someone posted an exel file but the link seems to be dead. I'd be especially interested in X=Y type entries. I'm not sure what common X(incorrect) tags would be. Can someone who's used this script post a few of the more common ones? If anyone is interested this is what I'm thinking about using.

alternative, blues, classical, classic rock, country, electronica, soundtrack, funk, rock, pop, gospel, R&B, metal, jazz, new age, oldies, punk, rap, rock, world, comedy
Susan Cassadaga

Post by Susan Cassadaga »

What im talking would automaticaly tag the song artist or album what ever as the genre that the media monkey thing has it as.....

it would add alot to last.fm

making it far more accurate or far less acurate

MOST of my music is dead on....

but....

thats only my opinion

i dont think it would be that hard ive seen it done with iscrobler
but im no script kiddie and idk
(shuts up)
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You mean you want your genre's in mediamonkey to be applied to your tags in last.fm, I don't think anything can do that in an automated fashion.

Would be cool tho.